Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your input

Hello gents,

Ok, I'm sure this was covered in todays discussion in TS meeting.
    But for those of you that missed it and to elaborate.

We would like to see the Mission Dev team be more hands on with missions made by TG members.
    Basically, we're getting too many missions that are not up to MultiPlayer standards. We are in good faith uploading them but the repercussions are too big.
    From server desyncs due to poor scripting to the mission just shutting the server/s down.

Proposal/s:

A) All missions goes through Mission Dev team
    B) Only missions that has been assisited by the Mission Dev team member/s
    C) Open help TS sessions in the Mission editing channel
    D) Only allowing mission versions that is not beta.

Your thoughts?

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Re: Need your input

7 views and no replies?

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I agree. Here's my suggestions.

1. Mission Team Objective clarification (my opinion and suggestions)
      No Teaching. Period. We can help people, or teach individually.The mission development is here to develop missions for TG, not educate the community on mission editing. There are enough resources out there for people to learn already. Most people don't have the self discipline, UNLIKE many of us in the team, to sit down and read through the wiki and forums to learn editing. It takes hours of time. We should not waste our time on these people. We should still make attempts to help, but if you get a sense a guy wants some advanced script for his missions and he's not willing to read the resources.. forget it, don't waste your time. He won't stick with it. Trust me, I've seen it.

The mission dev team IS NOT a club or a place to earn status.. has relevant duties, which I think are currently being neglected by many of us, myself included. This has to change. We are to make maps personally, make scripts to share with each other, and help people with missions we deem worthy of our time. And I really STRESS this last point. There are people out there who will practically dump their missions into your lap to finish. DO NOT help them unless you are really interested in the mission personally. Remember, we don't owe anyone anything.

2. Submitting Missions.
      a. Can only be submitted for posting by mission development team.
      b. Non-dev team missions must be sponsored by someone in the mission development team. they must at least glance and, shortly, preview the mission to make sure there are no problems. We could set up the forums to accommodate this.

3. No templates or hard rules.
      I don't think we should waste our time making mission formats, or boxing in people with templates. This destroys people's creativity. Give people freedom to make missions has they want, but we just have to ensure the ones we allow on the server are working. Also, there's already people who have made stuff like that (like the BASf framework).

4. Non mission developers need to make us aware of their skill level and tell us where they think potential problems might exist in their missions.

5. Weekly/bi-weekly/monthly mission team meetings.
      We will never develop as a team if we do this. And I think these should be mandatory. At least we could show up, shoot the breeze and get to know each other, discuss mission ideas, issues, scripts etc. Its "our time". If people miss these repeatedly, they should be put out of the group.

6. Suggest member standards..
      1. contribute at least 1 mission a month and attend meetings when possible. If not, they should be removed from the group. We need people who are interested in giving some of their free time to this group because they enjoy it. Yes, I know I'm a hypocrite on this, cause I have not submitted a mission in a couple months, but that's changing. I am making a personal commitment to doing this, because I enjoy it and like our community.

7. Mission Team projects..
      None. That's right. None. I tried this when I was our "head" and I couldn't get the level of cooperation I wanted. Each of us does this in our free time, when we're motivated. We each have different desires for missions. This DOES NOT lend itself to group projects very well. I think we should each operate independently, if we want to team up and do something, that's fine, but we should not make "official projects". They won't get finished more than likely.

We need to meet on TS sometime and discuss and come to a conclusion, establish some rules and set our agenda.
      Last edited by GeneralCarver; 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM. Reason: more to say
      Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

I like this idea. I remember hearing Jack Bauer talking about letting the Dev team have access to the test server? I think this will be good. It will allow us to test people's mission and see how it runs on the server. Then, we can analyze it and fix the mission or let the designer know about the problem. This way, you admins won't have to deal with people asking if their mission can get uploaded onto the server. You could just point them to us which we will gladly test the mission for them on the test server and if it doesn't work properly, send it right back and let them know the problem that way no broken missions get uploaded to Alpha or Bravo server. The only problem (not really a problem) I see is that the Mission Dev Team will be held responsible for any broken missions on the server. =/

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Welcome back Carver! Good to have you back with us.
          All good points.

As for missions coming back to us because its broken, I see less chance of that happending than it is now. We have more than capable team here who can check the missions submitted. No offense to the guys making the missions but I trust your abilities/skill sets more than them.
          At this time, we have quite a few missions that are not made up to standards (Not even the intro). Even to basic MP standards. I understand the mission makers need to get it out there but at the same time the general TG players should not suffer due to a poorly made mission/s. New missions is what keeps ArmA going, Great missions keeps TG strong.

Let's get this pushed forward as soon as possible gentlemen!

Fincuan, I'm curious as to what your thought/opinion on this is.

Comment

Alrighty, let's get this process started then! =)

First mission test (YAY):
            Originally posted by cctoide
            * DATE: 10 Feb 2010
            * MISSION NAME: CO71_OperationWildfire_v11
            * FILE NAME: CO71_OperationWildfire_V11.isladuala.pbo
            * VERSION: 1.1
            * MODS: Standard TG mods.
            * TvT or CoOp: Co-op
            * # PLAYER SLOTS: 73
            * DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?ndnewdkkzjm
            * BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Joint ops invasion of Molatia. Contains 2 civilian press slots. Not stress-tested yet. Fixes game-breaking problems with v1.0. Please remove CO65_OperationWildfire_v10.isladuala.pbo when uploading this.

PS: Hopefully someone could start a thread with a simple mission test template

Comment

I was thinking of a template for us to use and just to keep it simple, I basically kept it the same standard as the template when submitting missions. Tell me what you guys think:

Mission Submission Test Template

Please use the following template when submitting a mission approval.

* DATE: The date of submission
              * MISSION NAME: What the mission is called
              * TESTERS: Who tested the mission (can be a group)
              * FILE NAME: This is normally different than the mission, we need the exact .pbo name. Please also name it something along the lines of CO37_FuzzyBunnyV4.aiaktalik.pbo. This tells out of game (on the server box) what the mission is about.
              *STATUS: The outcome of the mission test. Either APPROVED or FAILED (if FAILED, type up a brief description of what the problem is with the mission)

Mission(s) Which Needs Testing

Originally posted by cctoide
              * DATE: 10 Feb 2010
              * MISSION NAME: CO71_OperationWildfire_v11
              * FILE NAME: CO71_OperationWildfire_V11.isladuala.pbo
              * VERSION: 1.1
              * # PLAYER SLOTS: 73
              * DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?ndnewdkkzjm
              * BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Joint ops invasion of Molatia. Contains 2 civilian press slots. Not stress-tested yet. Fixes game-breaking problems with v1.0. Please remove CO65_OperationWildfire_v10.isladuala.pbo when uploading this.
              Originally posted by tyrspawn
              * DATE: 11 Feb 2010
              * MISSION NAME: CO14_Force_Recon_v1.avgani
              * FILE NAME: CO14_Force_Recon_v1.avgani.pbo
              * VERSION: 1
              * # PLAYER SLOTS: 14
              * DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/CO14_..._v1.avgani.pbo
              * BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Force recon of Avgani - including scripts for calling in air support and fire missions! Happy times!

Comment

That templete is good.

I've tested and played this mission yesterday.

* DATE:11 FEB 2010
                * MISSION NAME: CO14_Force_Recon_v1
                * TESTERS: Lowspeedhighdrag
                * FILE NAME:CO14_Force_Recon_v1.avgani.pbo
                Mission grinds the server to a halt. Scripting needs to be looked at and revised.
                Implimentation of core mission assets caused the said issues. Also the mission makers use of possible outdated ACE version could be the culprit.

Comment

Awesome, first mission to be caught having a bug before making it to the server! =)

So, shall we implement this?

Comment

I say we should, more work load for us but I don't see a problem of checking the missions before it goes on the server with Mission Dev stamp on it.
                    At least one of us should give it an okay with their name signed or noted on our forum.

Comment

I think it's nice that the mission submission process has become stricter. However, I have several questions: how do we report a mission test fail or success? Shall we use that template three posts above? Will the mission development team have access to the test server to test missions?

Thanks for all your hard work, admins!

Comment

Mission test fail or sucess (Thread posted for this in this forum)
                        Same template. KISS comes to mind.
                        Test server to test missions. TBD.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X