Schmalfelden w/ CAA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schmalfelden w/ CAA

Hey guys now that we got CAA on the server any chance of getting Schmalfelden on the server anytime soon? Personally I think it was the best map made for ArmA 1 and I for one would be more than happy to make missions for it in ArmA 2. Just a thought.

Re: Schmalfelden w/ CAA

how big is it?
    were can you get it from?

Comment

We will look into it. However, I have seen what it looks like in ArmA2 and it is not pretty..... Also we have similar terrain offered in the form of podagorsk.
      |TG-73rd|Socomseal
      |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

What Socom said.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Looks like about 40-50MB

You can find it here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3303

I would highly disagree with the assertion that Podagorks is anywhere remotely close to this. Podagork's terrain is significantly different; continental farmland vs rolling forested hills . Its not very big and I think it looks on par with some of the other maps while being much more useful, it certainly looks better than afgahn vilage.

Comment

Known issues:
            1. These maps have a high object density and require a good system for high FPS. How many objects are in the players line of sight is the main factor impacting frame rate. Obvious solutions to help improve FPS are reducing the Visibility Range and other Graphics options, increasing the fog in your mission setup (not unrealistic for Germany) or fighting at night. A less obvious help is setting up missions so the players primary direction of focus is toward the center of the map where there are fewer forests. Keeping the forests on the west and northwest side at your back as much as possible is a good idea.

2. This is a 5120 meter x 5120 meter map, not an island - no water around it. Apart from the small size some may not be happy with, this introduces oddities on the right and lower edge of the playing area, where the overlap of satellite image segments overlaps the actual image. In effect you lose proper terrain image for some 250 meters on the right and bottom edge. Not particularly noticeable on foot, but definitely noticeable when flying. I use these areas as setup areas for AI controlled forces to enter the scenario. Additionally, the ArmA program uses the lower left satellite image segment to cover the area outside of the map playing area.

3. No airfield.

This already restricts alot of our players. We should wait abit longer for a better optimised version.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
              Known issues:
              1. These maps have a high object density and require a good system for high FPS. How many objects are in the players line of sight is the main factor impacting frame rate. Obvious solutions to help improve FPS are reducing the Visibility Range and other Graphics options, increasing the fog in your mission setup (not unrealistic for Germany) or fighting at night. A less obvious help is setting up missions so the players primary direction of focus is toward the center of the map where there are fewer forests. Keeping the forests on the west and northwest side at your back as much as possible is a good idea.

2. This is a 5120 meter x 5120 meter map, not an island - no water around it. Apart from the small size some may not be happy with, this introduces oddities on the right and lower edge of the playing area, where the overlap of satellite image segments overlaps the actual image. In effect you lose proper terrain image for some 250 meters on the right and bottom edge. Not particularly noticeable on foot, but definitely noticeable when flying. I use these areas as setup areas for AI controlled forces to enter the scenario. Additionally, the ArmA program uses the lower left satellite image segment to cover the area outside of the map playing area.

3. No airfield.

This already restricts alot of our players. We should wait abit longer for a better optimised version.
              I've played missions on this map with 60+ players in ArmA 2 on my low end laptop had have had absolutely no problems on this map. I think that given the type of scenarios that are likely to be generated for this map the issues you mentioned shouldn't come into play but on the positive side we gain a very unique and very needed terrain set. I don't think that any optimized version is forth coming but I do think the version currently available works wells and would add a great experience with a small cost (file size wise)

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
                We will look into it. However, I have seen what it looks like in ArmA2 and it is not pretty..... Also we have similar terrain offered in the form of podagorsk.
                With you on this one.
                |TG|Ghost02
                TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I'm still unclear here as to how exactly Schmalfelden=Podagorsk?

Comment

I'd like to see this map too.

There are varying object densities available, the low-object one is quite a bit better performance wise than the very high density one.

This map is a great map for some larger scale mechanized warfare maps, something Podagorsk doesn't really do too well, nor does Chernarus.

Comment

Cold War style with t72's and such. Could be interesting, but just as in Arma 1, not many mission were made for it. To little opportunity.
                      |TG|Ghost02
                      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
                        Cold War style with t72's and such. Could be interesting, but just as in Arma 1, not many mission were made for it. To little opportunity.
                        Exactly what I had in mind. lots of room for some awesome mechanized infantry operations.I certainly plan on using it if it shows up on the server.

Comment

Meh. Why not, its 40mb, mine as well have it. I am sure I can figure a few missions out!
                          |TG|Ghost02
                          TG Pathfinder

Comment

Podagorsk=Schafelden in the sense that it is European style terrain with dense Forrest. However, Podagorsk differs because it has many hills while Schmafelden is flat farmland, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I see the value in having a map that boasts flat land for mechanized warfare. However, at this time we need to work with the maps we currently have and produce more missions. Perhaps at a later time we will add schmafelden but there is no guarantee.
                            |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                            |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Yeah, that map was alright. There are three version made, at least for ArmA 1. I'm not sure about ArmA 2. They were, light vegetation, heavy vegetation, and extra heavy vegetation.

I think we should get all three. That way if we want some really think "bush" to fight in, we can use the heavy vegetation island.
                              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X