Iraq Patrol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq Patrol

Since this is now the de-facto 15+ player TvT, I may as well post my thoughts (either that, or make my own version of it! Hmm....).

Notes and a proper briefing are mandatory. Having to explain the intent of the mission every round grates very quickly.

BLUFOR simply can't spawn so close to the city. Park them, and their humvees, at the southern extremity of Avgani's central highway, instead. Give them an ammo crate or two (I can suggest some loadouts/scripts if you'd like) so that a natural delay is given, instead of what is usually a forced one in-game.

OPFOR should all spawn with the same kit, or you should change the description of each OPFOR unit to match the kit they're assigned it. As it stands now, trying to guess which citizen spawns with which gun is a crapshoot.

There should be more than one objective, and each objective should be much better hidden. Try adding shaded areas of 50x50m instead of a marker right overtop of each cache, to make BLUFOR search for each crate.

Get rid of claymores and bouncing betties. They're causing more FF and civilian casualties than BLUFOR kills.

Re: Iraq Patrol

I agree with all except the mines. I think the mines are a valuable asset, that if not properly used will kill friendlies. If the commander/pseudo leader does not establish a SOP for mining, then they get what is coming to them. Foresight is forewarned.
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

A solution to the issue with mines could be to give OpFor a limited supplies of SLAMs: given that they are magnetically triggered, it should 1) limit any FF and civilian casualties and 2) still present a threat to the vehicles. I know SLAMs are supposed to be a Blufor only weapon, but for the sake of gameplay it could be allowed (maybe adding in the notes that in the previous days some equipment was stolen or something similar).
      Note that I have not yet played said mission and as such my ideas are based on what I think the mission is about according to what I managed to figure reading the previous posts. ;)
      sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Well if were breaking the opfor/blufor weapon barrier you can go one step further and give the insurgents maps to simulate the fact that they know there way around the town.
        Theres also no win trigger on the crates. We bum rushed it last night with humvees and got them burning with the .50 then had people complaining "but we never play by the cache rules".
        Nihility

Comment

Carver played a round with the insurgents and he said he would be talking to Dredge about giving this a bit more polish since, according to him, "it could be epic". It certainly could, and it could also have a lot more slots seeing as how it scales so easily.

Comment

INS should have maps. It's thier city, they know it inside out.

Comment

Great points all. Firstly, in the first version BLUFOR started more to the south but that lead to them coming around the back end of the city. I am trying to funnel them more for game play reasons, IED's and what not. This will enforce situational awareness. I will add maps for opfor, maybe add only one that will force more cooperation between players. Also, the thing with the rifles, I made it that way for a reason. No one knows what weapon they will have so you wont have "SnuffyLeetSniper" waiting for the sniper rifle instead of slotting in. All the slots appear the same so people wont hold out for particular ones. I dont know if i want to get rid of the claymores. With mines and SLAMS it seem too much like set and forget. I want to force the players to set IED's and take up a vantage point so they can see it and set it off. This is the TTP that the INS are using in Iraq and I tried to emulate that. I will hide the crates better, but again, trying to force the players to defend an area, and a rather large one at that. I will move them but they will still be in a semi open area. The OPFOR will have to plan a large area defense that allows for them to trap BLUFOR and funnel them into a killzone, again, TTP used in Iraq. The notes are vague so more is left up to the Commander of the mission. It's real simple, go here find this or kill that. I didnt want to water it down with alot of stuff. Most patrols in Iraq are, go here. And thats all you get. Its a very broad mission with multiple ways to win. That being said I will add a bit more to it but not too much

I am very glad that this mission has caught on as I was very skeptical when I released it. Thank you everyone for your feedback and ideas. I am working on putting alot of polish on it to make it more epic.

By all means please, keep posting feedback.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Dredge, you should include a script to allow Insurgents to plant satchel charges on unoccupied vehicles: in game Satchel Charges are pretty easy to spot and having them planted on vehicles with remote detonators might force BluFor to employ appropriate tactics for dealing with them. On the other hand, satchels should be VERY limited in number, to avoid people from mining any single vehicles they can get their hands on ;)
                sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Well, given the BLUFOR tactics that have become dominant for this mission, I'd say the insurgents need more slots. The 5 minute rule either needs to be enforced by the mission (I can help with that) or the insurgents need more advantages, otherwise BLUFOR will easily win every time with the right tactics.

Another idea would be to add a concealable pistol script to the insurgents to help them blend into the civilians while still having some killing power.

Comment

Hey cctoide yeah I would love help with a 5 min no rush script. What other advantages do you think opfor should have? Should it be set that blufor has to blow the cache AND make it out alive? Also, I dont think a pistol script would work because the insurgents stand out really bad.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

How about delete U.S. Soldiers and put Iraqi Police (civilian police addon) on Blufor side? Give them police cars or hummers with no weapons. Iraqi Police would use pistols and submachine guns such as mp5 and 2,3 people would have FN FAL.
                      Insurgents - few ak47's, pistols, smgs.

Comment

Alright, for the grace period part of things, I went ahead and wrote a simple script. Note that this will only work fully on a dedicated server, not when testing from the editor.

Somewhere in init.sqf, add this: (messages can be customized)
                        Code:
                        if(isServer) then {
                        	offence = true;
                        	execVM "gracePeriod.sqf";
                        };

"timeUp" addPublicVariableEventHandler {hint "Grace period is over."; fob globalChat "Grace period is over.";};
                        "offence" addPublicVariableEventHandler {fob globalChat "Oops, someone broke the five minute rule!";};
                        Create a file called "gracePeriod.sqf" in the mission folder root, with this:
                        Code:
                        if(!isServer) exitWith {};

waitUntil{time>0};

while {time<300} do {
                        	{
                        		if((side _x == west) and ((_x distance fob) > 70)) then {
                        			_x setDamage 1;
                        			_boom = "HandGrenade" createVehicle (getPos _x);
                        			publicVariable "offence";
                        		};	
                        	} forEach call BIS_fnc_listPlayers;
                        	sleep 3;
                        };

timeUp = true;
                        publicVariable "timeUp";
                        Place a game logic (Side Game Logic > Objects > Game Logic) exactly as shown, name it "fob":

Basically, the script will start on the server and, while less than 300 seconds (5 minutes) have passed since game start, it will check every 3 seconds to see if any West units are farther than 70 meters from the game logic, which is just wide enough for all of the FOB to fit inside. If anyone is found more than 70 meters away, they are instantly killed and a grenade is spawned at their feet, to make it look intentional rather than a glitch. A message will also notify all players that the 5 minute rule has been violated. Once 5 minutes have elapsed, everyone will get a message informing them that the grace period is over. Messages are sent both as a hint and over global, to make sure even the most distracted players see it.

It's also possible to move them back in the FOB rather than kill them, or even just play Bananaphone for them repeatedly, but as I see it, killing them means there's a real consequence for acting stupid, as you aren't playing until next round. I recommend placing a warning about this rule both in the briefing and as a big red marker next to the FOB, so nobody can claim they didn't know about it.

About the rest of the mission, you could consider giving insurgents a bomb jacket script - really easy to do and should work like the Storm Chaser terrorist script, just give them an action to detonate themselves. Could either be that some slots always have a bomb jacket, or everyone on the insurgent team has an x% chance of getting one, or that they have to go to a certain place to get them, or whatever else you can think of. Size of the explosion can also be set to something sane (or not).
                        Last edited by cctoide; 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merula View Post
                          Dredge, you should include a script to allow Insurgents to plant satchel charges on unoccupied vehicles: in game Satchel Charges are pretty easy to spot and having them planted on vehicles with remote detonators might force BluFor to employ appropriate tactics for dealing with them. On the other hand, satchels should be VERY limited in number, to avoid people from mining any single vehicles they can get their hands on ;)
                          you can already do this ill show in steps

1.place satchel next to vehicle

2.look at satchel and use action menu

3.see an option with Car id and lots of numbers

4.select it and the Satchel will be in the car congrats now go blow it up
                          To talk to me or just hurl Abuse my way get me on Xfire:Hashass1n

I can't read, can't write, can't be an officer -NCO of the Vistula Uhlans Jan Pawlikowski

Mute since the universe began

Comment

Cool thanks guys! Keep the feed back coming. These are YOUR missions on the server

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Honest opinions on this one guys:

I have found away for the OPFOR to blow themselves up Suicide Bomber style. Do you think this will add something fun and interesting to this TvT or should I just forget I ever thought of the Idea. I might add in one suicide bomber that uses the same model as the crowd does so the BLUFOR wont know who/where/when or anything like that. Although I have heard rumor that Civ models can't hold any weapons so this slot would be a very specific role, I/E you wait here, blow yourself up then we ambush them.

Thoughts?

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X