3D and 2D Editor Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D and 2D Editor Questions

im new to mission making but im wondering, how can i make a mission in 3D editor and than later edit it in 2D. From what i have noticed in 3D there are no modules, or i can find them at least, so what do i do for modules? also the scripting box names are different so its a little confusing.

Any help is apreciated

Re: 3D and 2D Editor Questions

You cannot edit the mission in the 2D editor. See, the 3D editor really isn't a 3D editor. its a mission. The mission your playing outputs a mission.sqf script. You can slightly modify that script and then spawn in the elements you placed in it into your mission. I would only use the 3D editor if you want to dynamically spawn in some things in your mission and they require precision placement. Using the 3D editor is WAAY slower than using the 2D editor and triggers and waypoints can be a big pain to get to work right in the 3D editor.

We need to get the community to put increasing pressure on BI to release a True 3D editor with all the 2D editor features.

Join me in the cause my brother!
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
      You cannot edit the mission in the 2D editor. See, the 3D editor really isn't a 3D editor. its a mission. The mission your playing outputs a mission.sqf script. You can slightly modify that script and then spawn in the elements you placed in it into your mission. I would only use the 3D editor if you want to dynamically spawn in some things in your mission and they require precision placement. Using the 3D editor is WAAY slower than using the 2D editor and triggers and waypoints can be a big pain to get to work right in the 3D editor.

We need to get the community to put increasing pressure on BI to release a True 3D editor with all the 2D editor features.

Join me in the cause my brother!
      I am with you my friend. But who will do this? I certanly dont know how to go about making a true 3D editor with all the features of 2D

Comment

A full 3d editor would be absolutely awesome, but I doubt its coming. There are a couple ways to work around it. The first is a addon you can find on armaholic, I cant remember what its called but I never really got it to work. The second way was discovered by our very own lq.Snake. In his way you place what you want in the 3d editor and then use the mission file that creates to make a script which spawns the stuff you placed on the start of the mission. It is great for building FOBs and fortifications, I think it could also be used to spawn AI, but I have never tried. I asked him for directions on how to do it a couple months ago and he explained it in a Pm ill post below. All credit goes to Lq. Snake, I hope he doesn't mind me posting his instructions.

I think it would be a lot easier for me to explain on TS. I will do my best to explain here, though.

If you want to import the FOB from the 3D editor to your mission without the dyno grabber, the FOB must be placed in the in the exact location that you want the FOB to appear in your mission. If you don't want to worry about that, that's when you use the dyno grabber and use the createcomposition.sqf script file to build your FOB wherever you want on the map. Now, I'm assuming you already know how to use the dyno grabber method. The other method I mentioned on TS is as follow:

When you save a mission in the 3d editor, it saves it as an .sqf file which is a script file.

1) Copy and paste that "mission.sqf" file anywhere in your mission directory.

2) You may want to change the name of the file to give it a more meaningful meaning such as "FOB.sqf".

3) Now you can execute that script whenever you want during the mission. If you want the FOB to appear at the start of the mission, go to your init.sqf file and execute it from there. EX:

add this line of code in your init.sqf file:

Code:
        [] execVM "FOB.sqf";
        or if you placed the FOB.sqf file into a sub-directory named "Scripts" for example, then add this:

Code:
        [] execVM "Scripts\FOB.sqf";
        4) Now, open up FOB.sqf and edit it as follow:

Example FOB.sqf:
        Code:
        activateAddons [
        ];

activateAddons [];
        initAmbientLife;

_vehicle_0 = objNull;
        if (true) then
        {
        _this = createVehicle ["Sign_MP_blu", [2701.1504, 2988.9727], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _vehicle_0 = _this;
        _this setDir 72.746773;
        };

_this = createCenter civilian;
        _center_0 = _this;

_group_0 = createGroup _center_0;

_unit_1 = objNull;
        if (true) then
        {
        _this = _group_0 createUnit ["RU_Secretary4", [2715.2302, 2964.5474, 0.94542372], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _unit_1 = _this;
        _this setUnitAbility 0.60000002;
        if (false) then {_group_0 selectLeader _this;};
        if (true) then {selectPlayer _this;};
        };

_unit_2 = objNull;
        if (true) then
        {
        _this = _group_0 createUnit ["RU_Secretary4", [2730.7637, 2975.5698, 2.0027161e-005], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _unit_2 = _this;
        _this setDir -15.978585;
        if (true) then {_group_0 selectLeader _this;};
        };

_vehicle_1 = objNull;
        if (true) then
        {
        _this = createVehicle ["VWGolf", [2733.2964, 2978.4121, 6.6757202e-006], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _vehicle_1 = _this;
        _this setDir 80.506752;
        _this setVehicleLock "UNLOCKED";
        };

processInitCommands;
        runInitScript;
        finishMissionInit;
        You may remove the following from that script:
        Code:
        runInitScript;
        finishMisisonInit;

activateAddons [
        ];

activateAddons [];

initAmbientLife;
        And also the player unit:
        Code:
        _unit_1 = objNull;
        if (true) then
        {
        _this = _group_0 createUnit ["RU_Secretary4", [2715.2302, 2964.5474, 0.94542372], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _unit_1 = _this;
        if (false) then {_group_0 selectLeader _this;};
        if (true) then {selectPlayer _this;};
        };
        And make sure to wrap the whole code with

Code:
        if (isServer) then {code};
        So, now it should look like this:

FOB.sqf
        Code:
        if (isServer) then
        {
        _vehicle_0 = objNull;
        if (true) then
        {
        _this = createVehicle ["Sign_MP_blu", [2701.1504, 2988.9727], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _vehicle_0 = _this;
        _this setDir 72.746773;
        };

_this = createCenter civilian;
        _center_0 = _this;

_group_0 = createGroup _center_0;

_unit_2 = objNull;
        if (true) then
        {
        _this = _group_0 createUnit ["RU_Secretary4", [2730.7637, 2975.5698, 2.0027161e-005], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _unit_2 = _this;
        _this setDir -15.978585;
        if (true) then {_group_0 selectLeader _this;};
        };

_vehicle_1 = objNull;
        if (true) then
        {
        _this = createVehicle ["VWGolf", [2733.2964, 2978.4121, 6.6757202e-006], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _vehicle_1 = _this;
        _this setDir 80.506752;
        _this setVehicleLock "UNLOCKED";
        };

processInitCommands;
        };
        Look for me on TS if there were any confusion steps. Happy editing!
        It looks hard a first but i managed to figure it out and I dont know how to script so good luck.

Once again all credit goes to nthamma(lq. Snake)

Comment

this is good to know even for those of us that can script..I haven't even bothered messing with the 3d editor because I've heard it sucked...

Knowing it just outputs a script I can execute at will is massively exciting....makes dynamic cool location spawns even more awesome.

Thanks guys :)

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
          Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

is indeed helpfull.im new to scripting.. By the way i see your from seattle, ME TOO! haha

Comment

Originally posted by 6StringShredder View Post
              is indeed helpfull.im new to scripting.. By the way i see your from seattle, ME TOO! haha
              Where bouts? :) I'm in kirkland.

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
              Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Get Jonas RTE Editor, if you didn't allready, it's way more advanced than the BIS 3d editor.
                http://rte.jonasscholz.de/download

With this 3d editor you can output the 3d editor input to either a XML file, a SQF script or MERGE the whole scene or parts of it into the mission.sqm of any mission file you want to.

This way you can edit your 3d-editor placed objects and people in the 2d editor. I did it numerous times and it worked well in both ArmA1 and ArmA2...

It currently has some bug for me as the editor shares the same UI space as the ACE test console, but if you find the right spot to click it will work with the TG modfolder, too.

Skychief/Icewind.123/Icewindo
                Stargate Mod / Random stuff

Comment

I can't get the stuff from 3D editor to show up, or do I have to put a script in game to make it appear at mission start, if so how do I do that?

Comment

Yes you have to use a script. See post #4 in this thread for an explanation of how to do it.

Edit: i'm assuming your using the BIS 3d editor, if your using the RTE skycheif posted then i have no idea.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X