First Dev Team Assignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Dev Team Assignment

Ok guys. The Admin team has decided on an Event schedual that puts our next event in 3 weeks. This is what I would like to happen.

Mission Outline:

Basically the next 3-4 event missions are going to build off of each other, sort of like a long single player campaign. Campaign goal, Invade one of the Islands in our Map Pack. You guys can pick the one.

First Mission, should be the initial invasion. Since this is the first one we need we are going to focus on it and not worry about the next ones until after this one is done. I would like to assign members of the Team certain aspects of the mission to be worked on, that way everyone has the chance to imput something into the mission. This is a great chance for the team to show off what they can do!

What I Need From You:

I need a few volunteers to work on the scripts for the mission. Scripts will be based on what you guys decide collectively you want to add into the mission.

Volunteers to start building the map, I/E placing down units, naming units, working on custom loadouts etc.

Someone to work on the brief and tasks based off of what you guys decide they should be.

Once that is all done we will compile everything together and then test it on the Skunk Works server.

I know that this may sound crazy and some of you probably stopped reading a few sentances in, but I strongly believe that we can pull this off and the mission will be one for the books. If at any point you need help with what you are working on feel free to post in our forum. You are not stuck to doing only one specific thing for the mission. If you would like to help create the map then by all means find whoever is working on it and offer your assistance. If someone offers assistance to you please take it. I would like to see you guys in TS discussing things or posting here your progress with screens of where you are putting things or scripts you are using. This is going to be the biggest collabrative effort that I have seen here at TG ArmA, and probably the biggest anyone has seen. Lets not dissapoint our players.

If you are with me, step across the line. lol.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: First Dev Team Assignment

I can definitely help out for this. Probably between 4-8 hours a week, not sure on the weekends yet.

I've got a whole pile of scripts ready to go for various things; flares, manning trenches, seeing glowsticks, generating kit, spawning, assigning waypoint paths, gas/AI masking up, etc. etc.

Would be interested in helping design the overall campaign flow.

Is this going to be the place to discuss things related to this project? I've got a ton of questions already on what you the admins would like to see in this mission (player size wise, equipment, goals, etc.).

Comment

This be the place.

Player size: 50-60. 60 is MAX
      Equipment: Totally up to you guys. As long as you incorporate the new radio's the rest is up to you.
      Goals: Up to you guys.

I am just here to keep everyone on track and to smack people with sticks if they dont work hard enough or start being rowdy. Everything else mission wise is up to the dev team

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

60 slots, okay.

To generate some interest and ideas, this is my first thoughts on what to do:

Mechanized infantry platoon with tank support, mortar support, Company level C&C and logistics.

Mech Inf Platoon

3 x Rifle Section (27 players)
        1 x 1IC (short range radio)
        1 x 2IC (short range radio)
        2 x LMG
        1 x Grenadier
        2 x Rifleman
        1 x Driver
        1 x Gunner
        1 x LAV25 (2 AT weapons in APC)

1 x Platoon HQ (6 players)
        1 x 1IC (short range radio)
        1 x Medic (short range radio)
        1 x Signaller (long range radio)
        1 x Driver
        1 x Gunner
        1 x LAV25 (2 AT weapons in APC)

Armoured Team

2 x MBT crew (6 players)
        1 x Driver
        1 x Gunner
        1 x Commander (short range radio)
        1 x M1A1

Logistics Group (5 players)

1 x 1IC (long range radio)
        2 x Engineer
        2 x Driver
        2 x Logistics truck

Company Assets

1 x Company HQ (6 players)
        1 x 3IC (short range radio)
        2 x Medic (short range radio)

1 x Company Mortar Det (5 players)
        2 x Gunner
        2 x Assistant Gunner

1 x Company Recce Det (4 players)
        1 x 1IC
        1 x 2IC
        1 x LMG

TOTAL: 59 players

The general idea is to have a mechanized unit with a lot of firepower. The missions would be focused around breaking entrenched enemy positions. There would be varying levels of enemy Anti-Tank support, ideally it would be light on first contact, but grow heavier as you move towards your objective(s). So, first contact won't be made with an entire Rifle Section getting cooked inside their APC. However, AT will be a SIGNIFICANT threat, so, the infantry will have plenty of work to do. Also, if not objectives, considerable enemy presence should be located in "out of bounds" areas for the vehicles; forests, towns, or other areas where vehicles do not have good LOS and it is difficult to maneuver.

Logistics will be a concern, vehicles WILL be damaged or destroyed, and to repair them you will need to use the service trucks (likely scripted in conjunction with the ACE damage stuff). Ammo, medical, and reinforcements will also be a concern, the drivers for the Company Logistics team will be required here.

Mission would be respawn, you would respawn at a FOB or other forward position. There would be respawning ammo and supplies (reference as of yet unreleased WAC mission for this) available. Crates would have relatively small amounts to require multiple supply runs. Kit restrictions in effect, maps, radios, weapons should all be issued at start and no exchanging. I would really like to see no optics, but, this is open to the majority vote. Vehicle rearming would need to be looked into, ideally it would involve moving an ammo crate (by hand, loaded into a supply truck) to the vehicle needing ammo, rather than using an ammo truck. More engaging for the supporting units and makes the process more interesting.

Mission would have no time limit and likely no tickets. Depending on how willing testers are and how functional the AI system is, AI will be based on a spawning system that could be controlled by various variables. Time spent in attack, proximity to "dangerous areas" (enemy HQs, enemy FOBs, high concentrations of enemy armour/infantry, etc.), randomness; all these things could influence how many and what type of AI you are fighting against. This offensive force would be in addition to a static, dug in enemy positioned in trenches and other fighting positions. These can be spawned as needed, accodring to player proximity or mission variables (randomness, objective completion/failure, etc.).

Enemy support would be included. Mortar teams mainly. This would need a significant amount of work and testing, but would add immensely to the overall mission feel and how threatening the AI seem. Past attempts at artillery have been less than stellar, but, I think introducing a new, balanced, yet still frightening artillery system would be a major factor in the success of the event.

The overall goal is to have the mission last for at least 1 hour but absolutely no longer than 3 hours. The mission should equally involve all players in the success of the battle (infantry, APCs, MBTs, Mortars, Logsitcs, Recce), present a competent and challenging opponent, be sufficiently random so that the mission development team cannot "give away" unintentionally what might happen, and react in a sufficiently dynamic manner to accomodate as many different plans of attack as possible.

Well, that's my idea. Thoughts?
        Last edited by beita; 03-02-2010, 02:41 PM. Reason: Moar

Comment

I like it. I think enemy counter attacks could be fun. I think that the initial push should meet with little resistance (no too little mind you) and there should be more and more as they push further into the island. Is it possible to have the Recce guys be the first in? Give them a task of destroying the comms network or something. To go along with that we could have it where, if the CO pushes his troops forward before comms is destroyed the enemy can reinforce faster and with more units. And maybe only hint at it in the brief. To see how he coordinates his assets.

I really wish we could get the Sling Load thing fixed for MP, from all my times with it, it makes it to where you cant use the ammo crate when you drop it, but maybe thats me. We could use helo's to resupply Forward bases, then trucks to take the supplies from the base to the front line.

I really like where this is going. And seeing as how we have 3 weeks it should be plenty of time to get it working. I like the idea of a large scale war where every role is vital. we need to also look at how to make even the smallest job fun and challenging I/E truck driving. There needs to be some amount of inherint danger with taking the supplies to the front. Maybe a random enemy contact, nothing too major something like a small handfull of OPFOR, so they can jump out and fight to keep the trucks from getting destroyed. This would also be felt at the front when the supplies stop because the convoy got attacked and would require a shift of tactics and resourses.

Please guys keep it coming!

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

I don't think I have mentioned this but my computer recently crashed and, unfortunately, I do not have ACE2 installed on my computer. In addition to that, I have been extremely busy with RL issues and I really did wish I could be part of this first assignment. But if you guys need any help writing a small script, that is pretty much all I can do at the moment since I can't do anything that involves the editor. Good luck and happy editing!

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Anyone else with thoughts on this? Anyone else with a different idea? Anyone willing to help?

Want to know if I should go through with starting work on this or not.

Comment

my thought is about the radios,

some of the squads dont have long range radio support?

i would suggest one radio man per squad. so that the SL has some sort of comms with commander

Comment

Agreed. There might come a time when a squad has to push out beyond short radio range.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

That is by design to try and keep the platoon together. If you are out of short wave radio range, you are probably too far from the platoon anyways, if you can't contact the closest element to you and not HQ directly, you are REALLY too far away. Now, since this is a mechanized platoon, it is still a similar concept. There is more space needed for a mechanized platoon, the radios present in the APCs solve the distance problem really.

Basically, if the platoon is spread out over more than 1 sq. km, they are doing something wrong (in my mission idea's context).

Comment

Ok, I've looked through the maps that we are currently using. I believe the island of Podorgorsk would fit well in to the campaign (open for suggestions).
                      -Predomimently a north to south terrain (more easier linear understanding for players)
                      -The large river would fit well into the story line. River being the buffer zone.
                      -Leaves the rest of the southern AO to be used.

Ok, here is the jist of it.

SF/Recon units will be either inserted via HALO method or just by plainly by means of helo insertion.
                      Their primary role is to seek out the OPFOR radio relay stations and taking out the OPFOR artillery site.
                      Their success will determine the ratio of AIs vs Players as the main assaulting force pushes through their objectives.
                      After their objectives have been completed, they may return to the FOB/FARP and support the main assaulting force.
                      Depending on how the CO wants his mission to go.
                      I understand that the Short range radio is limited so why not place a pseudo radio contact areas for them. By using a BLUFOR vehicle that is not detectable by the OPFOR AIs. i.e. at the Artillery site and radio relay station objectives and few more to the south. Just an idea.

Main asaulting force: Marines
                      Their primary mode of transport will be their LAVs
                      Their objectives will include, pushing through the DMZ, assaulting the OPFOR AA site and establishing the FARP.
                      Once thats completed, they will push through the "death valley" (rest of the area is heavily mined) and assault the OPFOR outpost and hold it.

Marine Air wing element will be on stand by for any CAS or CASEVAC roles as needed and logistics.

Respawn is limited to tickets.

Game play notes:
                      *If the OPFOR artillery site is not destroyed once Marine units enter the blue circle, the OPFOR artillery
                      will commence fire. (around the FARP area)
                      *If the Radio Relay Station is not destroyed by a set time (Recon/SF), OPFOR reinforcements will occur in full.
                      *If the AA radar is not destroyed (Marines), OPFOR Air assets will be sent to the AO.
                      *Once at Outpost obj (Marines) , Hold out for counter-attack by OPFOR and wait out for timer to end.
                      *Recon/SF: Push further forward and take out 2nd Radar Relay station to cut off OPFOR Armor pltís comms.
                      *If FARP is not setup, the rearm & refuel of units will be dramatically reduced. Also the BLUFORs base will be quite a distance away to the north, therefore making the FARP setup crucial.
                      Podorgorsk1_Campa.jpg
                      Podorgorsk2_Campa.jpg

TGU InstructorTG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean ∑ Former ARMA Admin ∑ Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I might as well add this thought that I kicked around a few days ago but haven't had a chance to post it - How about what Dredge is discussing be the 2nd mission? The first mission would be turning over control of a country to a local army (CDF or something), and making a withdrawal in order to move out to the next place that needs invading for lack of better words. Just a thought, do with it what you will.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Well I have an existing podagorsk campaign that we could easily tie this into if you guys are interested. However I think we should aim for making the first real company level operation like what beta was alluding to because that would be a real cool and novel thing. However I don't think podagorsk is well suited for mech inf operations so we should either switch to a different island or try for a standard infantry company.

Also if we do go the mech inf / combat team i.e. betas post there should be a major threat of a significant enemy counter attack/ reinforcements to keep people from sitting back and using the vehicles firepower to pound the crap out of the AI. People should be motivated to move through the attack bypassing strong points and dismounting infantry when necessary to capture bypassed objectives and or clear out shattered enemy positions.

Comment

Is there a way to keep the attack coming until the BLUFOR reaches a certain point? That way they just keep taking fire until they push forward.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Wanna make this Recon Marines?

Could model the Command Structure after Gen Kill...
                              |TG|Ghost02
                              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X