Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thirsk island a.k.a. Winter Wonderland, discussion - adding winter island to TG pack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thirsk island a.k.a. Winter Wonderland, discussion - adding winter island to TG pack?

At this time TG has every kind of environment to play in; jungle, european villages, desert, etc... we are lacking of winter map.
    Thirsk is very nicely done. It represents areas of Finland. Island comes with two versions, normal one and winter, this is why size sucks, however... I guess, that we could cut size in half, if we just used winter version of the island. Obviously, adding both summer and winter version to TG pack would be impossible because of its size. I'm playing with pbo files and using method of delete/check, in order to keep just winter version of the map.
    This way, we would get just winter version of the island that would be approximately 90 MB in size.

Map is pretty big, but not gigantic. I would compare its size to be little bid smaller than Podagorsk.

Island comes with its own weather effects, snow, blizzard, etc... - to be setup with GameLogic in editor.
    Blizzard sounds and looks great. Imagine playing SpecOps mission during this weather.

We could take away one of the islands that are already in the pack. My thoughts were going towards Afgani Village. Now, before any of you say something... I made huge mission on this map, so you are not alone, but... Missions can be easily imported to other maps. I have done that.

Think how great and original it would be to play missions with snow around you and during blizzard or simple snow showers. We also, already have A.C.E. U.S. Army units, with ACU Camouflage that fits into winter map.

Admins, please reconsider this idea. I will upload the file with just winter version, when I get home from work in about 7 hours. I will talk to you on TeamSpeak then.

My screens:

Re: Thirsk island a.k.a. Winter Wonderland, discussion - adding winter island to TG p

If anything I would suggest Panthera is removed. It has problems with AI waypoints and is the least popular island ... there is only a handful of missions for it.

Looks like a nice map though.

Comment

Re: Thirsk island a.k.a. Winter Wonderland, discussion - adding winter island to TG p

yea I would be good with replacing Panthera with Thirsk

Comment

i think that pathera is already removed if im correct

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

OK just played around with Thirsk and WOW! good island with very nice terrain.The winter island has wonderful performance even on my crappy laptop here at school so I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. Not as sure about the summer island but I think it should be fine for everyone. The summer version has a similar feel to podagorsk and Japahto but the winter terrain really makes if feel different and is a lot better than Namalsk. It has possibly the best city I've seen so far in terms of urban combat with plenty of enterable buildings (that actually have decent sight lines) and a good mix of more open spaces with some tight alleys. All of the smaller compounds and installations scattered around the island have at least one enterable building and would make for some very cool missions. The terrain is also logical and not overly done. I would defiantly make some missions for this.

I think that adding just the winter island would make a good addition to the islands on the server and by removing Panthera we could have a neutral impact on the addon sync file size.

@Jack Not sure if Panthera is on the sever but it is defiantly in the addonsync package.

Comment

Couldn't find one in this thread, but here is the link to the files on armaholic. This is both summer and winter versions.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9861

Comment

cc that falcon, ill have us look at it!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                Couldn't find one in this thread, but here is the link to the files on armaholic. This is both summer and winter versions.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9861
                Size of file is quite big, I managed to get delete other pbo's and get only Thirsk in winter version. Packed with RAR - 148 MB. Good improvement :). It was a pain to find out which pbo's were for winter version.

PS: I'm uploading it now, will give a link.

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                i think that pathera is already removed if im correct
                Nope, its still on server. You can pick it when choosing a mission. I completely forgot about Panthera, lets take it out then.

Originally posted by Falcon_262 View Post
                OK just played around with Thirsk and WOW! good island with very nice terrain.The winter island has wonderful performance even on my crappy laptop here at school so I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. Not as sure about the summer island but I think it should be fine for everyone. The summer version has a similar feel to podagorsk and Japahto but the winter terrain really makes if feel different and is a lot better than Namalsk. It has possibly the best city I've seen so far in terms of urban combat with plenty of enterable buildings (that actually have decent sight lines) and a good mix of more open spaces with some tight alleys. All of the smaller compounds and installations scattered around the island have at least one enterable building and would make for some very cool missions. The terrain is also logical and not overly done. I would defiantly make some missions for this.

I think that adding just the winter island would make a good addition to the islands on the server and by removing Panthera we could have a neutral impact on the addon sync file size.

@Jack Not sure if Panthera is on the sever but it is defiantly in the addonsync package.

Thx for backing me up Falcon. BTW, go to GameLogics, you can setup Snow Fall in density 1-4, Blizzard which looks and sounds great :), etc...

Comment

Thirsk Island Winter version only, uploaded on speedyshare by me, clink on the link (don't copy) 149 MB ----> http://www.speedyshare.com/files/214...skWinter_TG.7z
                  Last edited by Mikee; 03-15-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

You can make a blizzard? DURING THE MISSION!?!?!?/1111?!

I want it.......

I will be having a look at this as soon as I get home

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                      You can make a blizzard? DURING THE MISSION!?!?!?/1111?!

I want it.......

I will be having a look at this as soon as I get home
                      Yes! :).

Put player on map, then go to GameLogics, Thirsk Effects (or something like that), choose 'Snow Storm', crank your speakers up and enjoy :). Make sure that you download from my link that I provided in other thread, this way you will get only winter version of the island and save about 100 MB. Link to thread is here:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...load-here.html - click it.

Comment

For some reason I could not get it to work on my PC, however when Socom made a server and added this effect in it worked and I was able to see it.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X