Problems with the QA process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the QA process

1. Missions vanishing during the QA process (not being uploaded but being deleted from the thread, delaying the introduction of new missions onto the server by weeks)
    2. Missions being rejected but mission makers not being informed; you shouldn't have to nag an admin to get an explanation
    3. Lack of a QA checklist and/or a clear criteria for what constitutes acceptable
    4. False rejection reasons, usually the result of a non-mission maker misunderstanding an aspect of the mission. This again causes additional weeks where good content does not get on the server simply due to procedural rather than conceptual faults.

Accordingly I think an additional admin duty should be levied to a "test master" whose job is to organize, create doctrine and keep records on all testing. Alternatively if the admins dont feel like doing it I think someone from the dev team should take up this job. I am willing to do it if none other, i have a bunch of ideas.

It was to my horror that I joined the dev team to find that no one seemed to be testing missions and that missions from 2+ weeks ago were still not tested, that no one seemed to notice that they were not tested or even on the server. Mission submission and mission makers are the heart of this community and they deserve better.

I support the conceptual idea of a QA process but I hope these procedural flaws can be ironed out.

Re: Problems with the QA process

Its still a new process. Plus, with the campaign taking up everyones time its very difficult. It wasnt bad when we started as only a few missions where submitted so 1 or 2 people could go through them at night and have them QA'ed by the morning. The work load has doubled for the Dev Team and I am partly to blame for that.

If you would like to write up a standard for testing go for it. You have my admin/Dev Leader blessing. What ever ideas you have please post them up. Anything that will keep the QA on track and working like its supposed to will be welcome.

Be carefull what you ask for, I might make you the head of QA ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

+1 for Krause to be head of mission testing!

seriously tho Krause, if you want to take up the reigns of this. feel free! it will help us out greatly, considering that the admin workload is going to increase alot in the next few weeks.

Comment

Hello Krause,

I feel as though this thread was started due to my late response with your prior mission.
        I have received your PM concerning your mission. Could you please give me the link via PM or post it here. I upload it when I get home.
        As you might have noticed my presence in-game has been lack luster recently. This is due to my RL constraints.
        As part of Mission Dev team and an Admin I am trying to squeeze my time to fit the roles. The Q&A worked well before when we had limited, workable number of missions for testing accompanied by our time. Obviously, this isn't the case at this time.
        Either way, my appologies for the late response.

Lowspeed

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Alright then.

*ahem*

As the Dev Team Lead I hereby appoint Krause as the new Q&A guru. It will be up to him to write up a new guideline for all mission testers to use, and a system of approving/denying missions. Once this is done it will be reveiwed and if neccasary, tweaked, then be made the new gold standard for the Mission QA process.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Writing SOP now.

Comment

nice one

Comment

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
                Writing SOP now.
                Make it pretty.......use small words......and browna likes glitter in the headline :D

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

First draft:

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/SOP.html

Comment

+1 for the glitter

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

I like it Krause. You are the man :D.

Comment

You lost me at glitter

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

So what do you admins say about my 3-4 proposals at the bottom of the document?

Comment

The creation of a forum for testing, with a subforum for archiving old batches. This will enhance our ability to establish a clear and manageable paper trail. Think long term.
                            We will have to use this one. We arent able to add a new sub forum. We can make threads, and thats about it

Your compliance with sending out a general request to those in the mission development team with the explicit request of becoming an official tester. I want men I can rely upon when assigned to perform a test. I’m not sure if mass mailing the development group is possible, but if it is, I would like to send out an official request.
                            Have at it.

Making me admin of the test forum and archive subforum.
                            Only Admins can have forum moderator status. If you tell us what needs to be done/changed/whatever we will do it.

Updating or allowing me to update the mission submission template everytime there is a new test generation.
                            Can you elaborate on this for me?

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

yay for glitter!

looks good too my man!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed