Elements of a Good Mission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elements of a Good Mission

Would appreciate feedback as to what elements make a good mission. This leads to the interpretation of the word "good". As to not leave anyone out, I will not put a limit on anyone's opinion. Let try to use bullet points to get thing concise as possible. I appreciate all you input.

Eman

Re: Elements of a Good Mission

1. The need to use tactics to win rather than exploit a few overpowered assets, i.e. rushing into the enemy will result in loss, while maneuvering by fire, protected by a reserve, will win
    2. Lose conditions - its not a game if you can't lose, it's a toy. Consider: tickets, time limits, no respawn, enemy breaking through an area
    3. Verisimilitude - believable scenario, organization and equipment, Order of Battle, in depth briefing covering: enemy forces, friendly forces, terrain and weather, mission, commander's intent, basic plan
    4. Memorable, unique experience set in an interesting terrain feature
    5. The need for the players to win by using teamwork, effective command and control and mutual support

Model mission makers and missions:
    WACs aka "Wide Area Combat" all the CO32s on Chernarus by Beta
    F16s AKA missions by Falcon, mostly on Podagorsk

Comment

Would just like to point out while the WAC and F16 missions are ok, Not everyone here at TG likes the style of play, were you have only a rifle with no sights. People like making use of more modern equipement.

But I'll add a few points.

If you include armor or air assests have a counter, being able to kill everything without danger is boring for the rest of the team.
      Make use of the radio systems, make sure you include long range radios etc (should be standard now)
      Will agree with tyrspawn, tactics and teamwork are important, having 1 guy able to complete objectives ruins it for everyone.
      Transport make sure theres plenty :P walking for 30 mins to get shot and die isnt fun.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

One of the biggest factors to a great mission is how optimized it is. Even if the mission incorporates everything else that people have mentioned or will mention, when everyone is getting frame rates that are in the teens or lower than it just isn't enjoyable for anyone.
        Aliases: ROD5RIG, CitizenAlias

Comment

Figured i'd copy and paste a master list sorta thing for this as well as include my own thoughts.

1. The need to use tactics to win rather than exploit a few overpowered assets, i.e. rushing into the enemy will result in loss, while maneuvering by fire, protected by a reserve, will win
          2. Lose conditions - its not a game if you can't lose, it's a toy. Consider: tickets, time limits, no respawn, enemy breaking through an area
          3. Verisimilitude - believable scenario, organization and equipment, Order of Battle, in depth briefing covering: enemy forces, friendly forces, terrain and weather, mission, commander's intent, basic plan
          4. Memorable, unique experience set in an interesting terrain feature
          5. The need for the players to win by using teamwork, effective command and control and mutual support
          6. Performance. don't overuse things to the point the mission is unplayable.
          7. Introduce counters for certain assets. Armor needs to encounter armor or RPG teams, air needs to encounter AA, etc. You can't have an apache wipe out an entire map
          8. JIP/Respawn transport if JIP/respawn is enabled.

Mine -

9. Keep the mission concise. Having 30 objectives which are the same thing, or 1 objective that doesnt make sense, makes people get bored or frustrated.
          10. replayability. Some missions that have "suprises" are only fun once.
          11. Tactical/Strategic choices. Personally, there's nothing I hate more than a linear mission. I do not enjoy it when, as a commander, the entire mission plan has already been laid out for me. I don't want to have to assault in a specific order, or from a specific direction. Give everyone the option to interpret the orders and make that specific session their own.

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
          Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
              Would just like to point out while the WAC and F16 missions are ok, Not everyone here at TG likes the style of play, were you have only a rifle with no sights. People like making use of more modern equipement.
              Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post

Just wanted to put those two into comparison: Depending on how the mission works having ACOGs and alike can be an exploit, due to extending the firefights to a range where the AI isn't able to fight back. So if using magnifying optics for the line troops you also have to make sure that they do not give any (or at least much) unfair advantage. Be it by adding in sufficient vehicle support, shorting the engagement ranges through urban terrain, hills or forest. The AI will still be able to fight back, even though at a disadvantage in accuracy (as intended, if using magifying optics), making it actual combat instead of a turkey-shoot :)

Comment

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
                Without wanting to disagree with the other suggestions, I'd say that if you get this right, pretty much everything else is up to you as the mission maker - and you'll be surprised what you can get away with so long as you can convince the player that nothing is 'out of place'. However, be cautious about turning your briefings into novels. If your overall concept works, trust the mission environment to do a lot of the storytelling for you, and let your briefing notes act as pointers. Also, believable doesn't necessarily mean milsim: again, you'd be surprised what draws people in. Good luck with your mission making.

Comment

ACOGs, and NVGs... that eliminates a couple people from the design... ; )
                  Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X