Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamically Changing Unit Class Type in a Multiplayer Mission

OK guys get out your scripting caps...

I played the Dynamic Virtual Training mission ...err whatever its called.. today on the server. In that mission players can change their unit type!!!!

This is amazing. I didn't think this could be done with the game engine. This opens up so many possibilities for fun multiplayer missions. We could make missions where players could take on and off a sniper suit (change unit to sniper and back on demand).. other stuff like a TvT mission where a player could be a killer being hunted by other players and he can change his disguise (changing unit models). Freaking awsome!

If you know of this code please share it here. We GOT to get it going!

I'm going to rip open the dynamic training mission and see if I can find it, I'll update here if I do.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Re: Dynamically Changing Unit Class Type in a Multiplayer Mission

It IS possible, but comes with a lot of strange issues that pop up seemingly randomly. If the VTS mission nailed down those problems, awesome. I'm a bit doubtful that it did though, but we can always hope.

Comment

I'm still not entirely sure the value of this? (unless I'm misunderstanding), Sure being able to take on and off a ghille suit is kind of cool, but I'm not sure it really changes mission dynamics?

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
        It IS possible, but comes with a lot of strange issues that pop up seemingly randomly. If the VTS mission nailed down those problems, awesome. I'm a bit doubtful that it did though, but we can always hope.
        What??!! Beta! Don't leave me hanging man! What are the problems? And lets see the code if you have it.
        Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hoy View Post
          I'm still not entirely sure the value of this? (unless I'm misunderstanding), Sure being able to take on and off a ghille suit is kind of cool, but I'm not sure it really changes mission dynamics?
          Sam! Get your brain out of the box man! Biggest value would be for in TvT missions to have scenarios where you got a player who can change classes like disguises. We could have all kinds of fun with that.

Comment

We can make drag queens, that can ... take off their disguise and use a gun?
            The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

The code is long gone I think. Bert and I messed around with it briefly, but gave up due to said random bugs that were seemingly unsolvable.

Comment

Well, you better get Earnie and hold him hostage.. then tell Bert to get working on that code!

Comment

OK update...

I guess its this command. Appears to work in multiplayer. Of course, locality has to be considered..
                  http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/selectPlayer

Looks like the best way to do it to me is...
                  1. ensure the player is alone in a group all to himself
                  2. add an AI of the desired class to the player's group (in a multiplayer environment it will be local to his machine)
                  3. Transfre control of the player to the unit with the selectplayer command
                  4. delete the old unit.

I'll test this out later and update this post.

Comment

Reading that page, it sounds like ACE would NOT like that method. Your name changes, so, bye-bye earplugs, gasmask, aviators, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                      Reading that page, it sounds like ACE would NOT like that method. Your name changes, so, bye-bye earplugs, gasmask, aviators, etc.
                      Right. You would have to get an inventory list from the player.. and then reissue all that gear to the new unit.

You could capture the gear with "weapons" and "magazines" command. Then use something like...
                      {player addweapon/addmagazine _x} foreach WEAPONSARRAY/MAGAZINESARRAY.
                      to add the to the new unit.

However, I think if they are wearing ear plugs or glasses of any kind, "magazines" and "weapons" won't detect what is being worn. So, is there an ACE variable which tracks what the player is wearing? Anyone know? Anyone named Beta know?

Comment

I don't think that's what beta thinks about (?) since that's the easy part (getting ruck, weaponOnBack, weapons, magazines and items and equipping them properly), but the unit name itself. That the unit one transfers to will retain its old name, rather than the player name, and thus breaks all 'headgear' that requires the correct name configged for ACE.

Comment

Originally posted by Impulse 9 View Post
                          We can make drag queens, that can ... take off their disguise and use a gun?
                          This is an important question.

edit -- or possibly rabbits that turn into bears or sharks....
                          Turning ArmA into ... Altered Beast ... one step at a time....
                          Last edited by Impulse 9; 06-24-2010, 03:45 PM.
                          The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Yeah, like Inkompetent says. You know how things don't work when people haven't done their configs? That's because the value of "name player" does not equal to what their config says (default, "John Doe"). So, when you are "in" a random AI named Robert Smith (this is what your tag will show up as, and what your name will show up as for chat text), your ACE headgear stuff will all be broken.

I no idea how and if it would be possible to transfer your "identity".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X