Upgrade...suggstions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade...suggstions?

i hope its ok i put this thread here, but i need to upgrade my mobo and cpu (my current one just took a crap on me). my old cpu could just barely run arma2oa. any suggestions for a lower end processor that will run this game smoothly? i am partial to AMD but would be willing to go intel if the price is right. am on a tight budget. :|

thanx :D

Re: Upgrade...suggstions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103846

that's my processor, if you wanna spend a bit more i've heard good things about the quad core version of this processor from krause.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103644

i think it's that one.

as for MOBOs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-603-_-Product

seriously, fantastic MoBo, I have the pro version with eSATA ports (though i don't think those are around anymore) and it will accept both of the above processors.
    sigpic

Shoot till you run out of ammo, or until you're dead.

Comment

Thanx for the reply :D

do you know if win XP supports quad core processors? i really dont want to update to windows7 right now, its such a resource hog...i would need more ram, and the $100 or so for the OS isn't in the budget right now either.

here's my current setup:
      amd athlon 64 x2 4200+
      the MOBO is whatever gateway put in it. cpu-z says "phoenix technologies"
      2 gig ram
      nvidia 9400gt 512mb

the funny thing is that i wanted to overclock the cpu to get better performance in arma, and when i restarted to get into the bios, it would just idle the fans. no light on the keyboard or mouse, no beeps...nothing. i never even had a chance to do anything with the bios to TRY to OC it. oh the irony. now, the next day (after multiple attempts in the last 24 hours), its starts up again. i still think i will upgarde tho...clearly SOMETHING is wrong...i just dont know what.

Comment

holy crap dude you've got MY old computer, not even kidding, i had the same specs before i upgraded. The mobo i suggested probably won't fit in your case, it's kinda on the large side...also from my memory, the 4200+ can handle arma pretty well, i would almost suggest upgrading your graphics card before messing with your mobo and processor. I ran ArmA from that processor and that much ram for about 9 months, i had a better graphics card though (geforce 9800 GT)...idk, i'd do some research before doing any investing in anything, also take a look at the RPM of your Hard drive if you can, ideally you'll want at least 7200, slower then that and the map streaming will slow your game down to a crawl...
        sigpic

Shoot till you run out of ammo, or until you're dead.

Comment

take that MOBO and phenom X4 processor azzwort suggested and for video card I'd suggest
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127490
          sigpic
          Programming today is race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe is winning.

Comment

thanx guys...the reason i need a new mobo is cuz the one i have is not going to last very long. i would LOVE to get that vid card, but my wife tells me i am allowed to spend $200 or less on my upgrade...

i got a voice mail from a friend who works with tech wholesalers last night and he tells me he "has something for me". hopefully its an early x-mas present, or at least under $100 so i can still get some ram as well...

Comment

DDR3 ram is allot cheaper now, about half the price since 2 months ago or something like that (even cheaper that ddr2 right now) and the new amd cpu's are coming soon with the new chipset 3+. Intel is also coming with a new chipset and what seems to be cheap processors with good performance.

I would hold until those are out to make my purchase and maybe try to get some more bucks in the wallet by then.
              sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

What? Windows 7 isn't a resource hog...

Snag it if you can, things will probably run smoother, actually.

Comment

I'm not sure how windows manages the memory, but in my experience XP had it better because I could play any game with 4gb and not break a sweat about the page file. However when I did switch, the manager gobbles up a lot of memory for "standby", but never actually allocates it to a program that needs it (for example Arma2) causing some crazy swapping from the pagefile on my hdd. Not good for performance at all.

But windows 7 is still the superior OS now that I added more ram (to an overkill of 12gb), but if you've only got a shy amount of RAM to allocate, then XP will do ok for now.

Oh yeah, don't forget that upgrading your system will probably void your windows license if it's OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamerofthegame View Post
                    What? Windows 7 isn't a resource hog...

Snag it if you can, things will probably run smoother, actually.
                    hmmm...i was under the impression i would need at least 4 gb of ram to run arma2 if i had win7 (i only have 2 with xp)

Originally posted by L3TUC3 View Post
                    Oh yeah, don't forget that upgrading your system will probably void your windows license if it's OEM.
                    yeah...i thought of that at the last minute, but my buddy who hooked me up with a mobo and cpu had an old copy he gave me too.

the only problem: the cpu he gave me is a big step down in performance (but hey...it was free right?) the mobo is middle of the road, and i can get a better processor from newegg pretty cheap, but the machine will still be pretty much middle of the road. :(

right now my current machine seems to be working again, so the new (old) parts are sitting on the desk, but i am afraid to shut it down. the last time i did it wouldn't restart for almost 24 hours...which makes me think it wont last too long.

last night while i was looking at newegg (my wife was on her MAC at the desk next to me) she said "if your mobo is dying, chances are something else will die next. wouldn't it be better to just get a whole new computer instead?"

sooo...i think if i wait for the after xmas sales i might be able to get a whole new rig pretty cheap. :D

Comment

Yeah that sounds like either a motherboard or powersupply problem. I think one of the capacitors is having a fit. If you have a large appliance (such as a fridge/washer/heater/ac) on the same group as your PC the sudden spike/drop in voltage/amps will give the PSU a jolt. This is designed to handle it within acceptable limits, but over time it will wear. Maybe you should look at a surge protector as well.

I had the same problem earlier this year and ended up pretty much shelling out for a new PC on the whole when my mobo flipped the bird (I was amazed it still worked, the NB fan gave out a few years ago). I wasn't happy with the performance anymore and seeing how old it was made equivalent replacing pretty dumb, so I got rid of the whole shebang and got new. I'm pretty happy with my new rig as it's a lot quieter and beefy.

The only old parts that made it in were my hard-drives and my soundcard and even that one I'm going to toss now that the mic input is busted.

Comment

yeah...its on a surge protector. and what makes me think its not the power supply is that all the fans in the case were running when it wouldn't reboot. including the vidcard, which has no other electrical connection besides the pcie slot. wird huh? its still running too. it seems like its fine as long as i dont turn it off. i am completely baffled.

so far i am looking at a new rig from newegg:
                        amd Phenom II X4 965(3.4GHz)
                        4GB DDR3
                        500GB HDD Capacity
                        NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
                        Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

around $650 with shipping.
                        or from amazon:
                        AMD Phenom II 1045T Six-Core Processor (2.7 GHz),
                        8GB DDR3 SDRAM
                        1TB (Terabyte) 7200 RPM Serial ATA hard drive
                        Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
                        ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics card (1GB DDR3 dedicated graphics memory)

around $900 with shipping, but what scares me is that when i click for "more technical information" it tell me it has "Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core Duo" sooo...i certainly dont want that processor if it tells me eslewhere its a AMD 6core 2.7ghz. and the extra $250 is a but too much to spend too.

Comment

Whoa whoa wait hold up.

You turn a computer on (Or reboot it, whatever) and it turns on, fans rev up and... Nothing happens?

That's one of three problems! Your video card or your PSU, which isn't getting enough power to your RAM. (Unless you switched RAM out recently, it's not getting power. Otherwise you might need to fiddle with the BIOS regarding the sticks.) or your motherboard is having issues.

Try to reinstall the video card, remove a ram stick if you have multiple and see if it works. If it doesn't, then something is bad business in there.

Comment

the reason i am thinking mobo, is that i never got any diagnostic beeps...just fans. if its the vidcard i should get 1 long and 3 short beeps (if i recall correctly) and just 3 for RAM.

at this point, i have my wife sold on the idea of a new system anyway...this one is 5 years old or so. i will take the free mobo and processor i got from my buddy, pop it in this case, and put the whole works in the basement as a music/movie machine and extra storage space. gotta love the whole house network ;)

Comment

With arma, a faster cpu is better, not a larger quantity of cores. Only if you plan to do some serious video rendering, photoshop with a bazillion layers or .rar a million files might you have a need for a hexacore. Most programs (games included) can only still access one core at a time and then you've more benefit with a faster one. For ram I'd go with at least 6. That ought to be enough for most situations without resorting to page file. I'm not doing anything special and already have 1.7gb loaded to memory and experience with 4gb weren't that great.

If you're willing to drop some cash, get a SSD. Those load arma super zippy. Plus they're silent.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X