Client servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client servers

This isnít PR where we must be locked into dedicated servers. With ArmA anyone with decent hardware and broadband can set up a server. Iíve hosted some missions not on TGís server several times with excellent results. As Sarge points out in another thread I ran Lingor Insurgency with other addons including Acre and it was just fine.

Suggest the Admins set up a system where anyone wishing to host a mission can post what they are running, including server name and password if any in the ArmA forums. I also think it would be a good idea to have a couple teamspeak channels marked client server #1 and client server#2 or something. Being in Alpha channel or the ArmA lounge while actually on my computer probably is not good.

I would like to run some Fallujah insurgency and do some other stuff that the masses might not be interested in but 4 or 5 might; however prefer having it out in the open and part of the big pricture of TG ArmA.

Does anyone have any good reason why we canít do this? Or any suggestions?

Re: Client servers

I second that :o It sounds like a nice idea :o
    - - -

Comment

This would justifiably be seen as stealing players from TG - and hence against the rules, there is nothing stopping you doing this however, but I wouldn't expect getting a teamspeak channel or being allowed to advertise it on teamspeak or the forums in any way

Comment

That makes sense Jacezz. There is a lot of work going into building the player base to populate our servers and run the missions on a larger scale. While I wouldn't think there is any intent other than variety in Zaps proposition, it sure could dilute the fruit of a lot of work our community has been putting in.
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I agree with Jacezz, and also Zap. If I want to run a mission on my machine I will, and yet will not try to fill it with players already seeded on Alpha or Bravo. Yet this subject should be explored as the Arma2 Community grows. They will, the admins, add more servers and Teamspeak channels when growth deems it necessary.

The other night Zap wanted to show me the Insurgency on Lingor. I liked it, but it wouldn't run on alpha because it is a mod map. And Bravo was full that night.

You will have times when people will want to do other than what is actively happening on Alpha or Bravo. The solution to this dilemma will not be found without careful planning and other members putting their thoughts and ideas out there to come to a peaceful resolution.

Comment

I get your point, but if I come online and I do not like either of the games being played on alpha or bravo then I will just not play them. How is it playing with someone else within the TG community stealing players? If that is still wrong , then ok but it just doesn't make sense to me so far. How about having charlie server up instead of the client server then ?
            - - -

Comment

Expanding gaming options in TG by setting up client servers to the benefit of the TG community at no cost just isn’t stealing players. I have not only hosted client servers here at TG but have joined others who have hosted for various reasons. Once it was hosted by someone setting up a mission and wanted some of us to see it. There are lots of missions and maps that will never make it to Alpha or Bravo that a few might like to try. This ArmA capability properly admined and utilized would benefit all. Yes it might draw one or two players from a dedicated server but is that really such a worry? We don’t know if this additional activity might not attract new players either. Appreciate input.

Comment

<Admin hat on> Ok, basically it boils down to this: Pulling people off of a TG server to play on a another server (exceptions being IHS and TGU activities) is explicitly prohibited. Now, if you get some friends together and contact the admin team, Charlie Server is available for retooling for events. All you need to do is contact us in the CAA forum, give us the date, time, and modset requested and we will set the server up for you. After that you will need to post a signup thread (ask an admin for a template) in the main Arma forum.

<Admin hat off> Personally I don't like self hosted servers, it reduces the level of play on the public servers. The whole reason we have Alpha and Bravo is so therefore we can all come to a common consensus on game style and gameplay. Right now there are 90 missions on Bravo and some 50 on Alpha. Most of these missions are geared towards many varied styles of play, and some are never played because we have a lack of players on the servers! As a mission maker who has made 73 missions which can be found on the servers is it quite annoying not seeing them played! All can be solved if we have more players on the servers. I understand if you don't enjoy playing certain styles of missions, but do the mission makers here a favor and support them by playing the missions they made for YOU!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Acog, I agree with your solution, and thanks for your quick reply.

Comment

Thanks for posting Acog. Obviously not the position I was hoping for and not getting Admins blessing puts this activity back in the closet. I spent over 4 hours on Alpha yesterday playing and selling TG to the gaming public that was on the server…I’m not advocating not using dedicated servers. However I want to try Fallujah Insurgency and I’m not going to ask you to put this on a dedicated server. You already posted no more maps for awhile which I agree with. But the position on Client Servers means I can’t publicly host and ask you or others to join me and take a look at it to see if it is worth ever putting on Bravo. And yes I do support our events…I have in the past and will in the future. Whatever NP.

Edit: You know Acog you really do a lot for this community free and spend countless hours helping and you’re under appreciated by Dredge. Just so you know us troops in the field appreciate you and your good deeds.
                    Last edited by ZAP44; 04-23-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X