New ANTIALIASING settings!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] New ANTIALIASING settings!!!!

I thought I'd post this little tid bit of information that AcogRecon just happened to mention on TS the other day about the 1.60 patch update.

BIS has introduced another form of AA called SMAA .

SMAA is a new image-based, post-processing antialiasing technique, which offers practical solutions to the common, open problems of existing filter-based real-time antialiasing algorithms. Some of the new features include local contrast analysis for more reliable edge detection, and a simple and effective way to handle sharp geometric features and diagonal lines. This, along with our accelerated and accurate pattern classification allows for a better reconstruction of silhouettes. Our method shows for the first time how to combine morphological antialiasing (MLAA) with additional multi/supersampling strategies (MSAA, SSAA) for accurate subpixel features, and how to couple it with temporal reprojection; always preserving the sharpness of the image. All these solutions combine synergies making for a very robust technique, yielding results of better overall quality than previous approaches while more closely converging to MSAA/SSAA references but maintaining extremely fast execution times.

So what does all that mean?

If you currently run any post processing you can go ahead and disable it in game and via the A2OA.cfg file found in
    :mydocuments/arma2/arma2oa.cfg. open in notepad and change PPAA and PPAA LEVEL to =3(levels are 0-3). This is much less demanding on systems and I have seen an FPS increase on my system.

Thanks to ACOG for the off hand comment.

NOTE: If anyone knows more please post more info as I'm not a Guru when it comes to AA.

References:
    http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg
    http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/
    Last edited by bolagnaise; 05-05-2012, 08:45 AM.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: New ANTIALIASING settings!!!!

Great post Bolagnaise.

Also, you guys would do well to change the "HDR" to 32 (highest). It ranges from 8, 16, 32.

My old rig works well on Chernarus now, before it was a nightmare of nearly having tears in my eyes due to hamster frame rates.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Yeah I'm noticing anywhere from 15 to 40 fps increase depending on map.
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
        Great post Bolagnaise.

Also, you guys would do well to change the "HDR" to 32 (highest). It ranges from 8, 16, 32.

My old rig works well on Chernarus now, before it was a nightmare of nearly having tears in my eyes due to hamster frame rates.
        Great post both of you, but Low I only thought Dredge brought you to tears. lol

Comment

Agree, good info! Is this effective as of right now, or upcoming, or beta only... Or?
          sigpic
          I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

It is active. With Beta it's a "silenced" addition.

Sent from my phone

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

When using this, do we need to have our in-game anti aliasing turned on at all...?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Doesn't seem to do anything for me.
                "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
                "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
                "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM9991 View Post
                  Doesn't seem to do anything for me.
                  Exactly why I'm wondering...

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

This is what I did.

My documents/ArmA2/ArmA2OA.cfg

Scroll down and look for the previously mentioned settings.

Edit the settings, save.

Start ArmA.
                    Settings changed but not shown in the options/graphics section.
                    That's why it's a silent option/update.

Basically, I noticed texture popping to be very limited. Slight difference in mouse reaction speed. But faster texturing.

If you are the PvP type and need the millisecond response keep your original settings. If you don't mind the slight change but with "smoother" frame rates then edit the sections mentioned.

Sent from my phone

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                      This is what I did.

My documents/ArmA2/ArmA2OA.cfg

Scroll down and look for the previously mentioned settings.

Edit the settings, save.

Start ArmA.
                      Settings changed but not shown in the options/graphics section.
                      That's why it's a silent option/update.

Basically, I noticed texture popping to be very limited. Slight difference in mouse reaction speed. But faster texturing.

If you are the PvP type and need the millisecond response keep your original settings. If you don't mind the slight change but with "smoother" frame rates then edit the sections mentioned.

Sent from my phone
                      ArmA 2's optimization is just terrible anyway,
                      Nothing will ever make this game run smoothly, even on the €2,000 computer system I have now :p
                      "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
                      "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
                      "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Welcome to the world of ArmA.

Sent from my phone

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X