Using the dagr - be a better jtac, spotter, and land navigator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Using the dagr - be a better jtac, spotter, and land navigator

Many people don't know the many practical uses of the DAGR, much less how to use it. Because of this, I figured it would be a good idea to create a nice little SOP on it's use.

The AN/PSN-13, DEFENSE ADVANCED GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM (GPS) RECEIVER (DAGR) is a tool used by the US Army as an accurate and efficient GPS. The DAGR has a wide range of uses, and it is nearly impossible to actually list them all. Everyone will find their own uses for it, which is actually something that is great about it. Personally, I like to pick up the DAGR on any mission that permits it. It is incredibly useful in land navigation, directing artillery fire, spotting for a sniper, and for a command element to plan attacks and coordiante quickly with squads.

OBTAINING

First let's begin on getting the DAGR. Mission makers can put them inside of crates by using the follwing code in the init field:

this addWeaponCargo ["ACE_DAGR",x];
    Where x is the amount you would like to add. You can add it to a specific person by using:

this addWeapon "ACE_DAGR";
    VIEW MODE

Now that you have the DAGR, let's VIEW it. You can do this by pressing the "Home" key. (Default)

As you can see, the DAGR screen looks simple. The first box shows your 8 digit grid coordinates, which makes calling these coordinates to anyone very simple. The next box on the left is your current speed. This is the most useless of all the display options, considering there aren't too many practical uses for knowing your current speed. Below that, is your current heading in degrees. I shouldn't need to explain why your heading is useful, just know that it is very practical to be viewing while spotting for a sniper or calling out contacts to friendlies while on the move.

To the right, you will see both elevation and time. Both of these options have their uses, although time isn't too useful in the game world where no one applies it to their communications.

Now that we have gone over the main viewing screen of the DAGR, let's open it up. You can do this by pressing "SHIFT + Home" (Default)

Now you shall be able to see a new menu on the display, and the keypad.

KEYS

1) F1/IN Function Key: This key will let you select the LEFT option of the three lower select modes within certain menu features.

2) F2/OUT Function: This key will let you select the CENTER option of the three lower select modes within certain menu features.

3) F3/STATUS Function: This key will let you select the RIGHT option of the three lower select modes within certain menu features.

4) POS/PAGE (Next / Prev) Key: This key has NO need-to-know function. (Or I don't know it, atleast.. and have never used it)

5) BRIGHTNESS/MENU Key: This will serve as your "Back" button while browsing the menu.

6) WP/ENTER (HELP/SELECT) Key: This is your "Enter" button.

7-10 Keys: These are your arrow keys for navigating the menu.

11) PWR/QUIT Key: This will close the DAGR.

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Now that you know how to navigate the menu, let's go over the options.

Data View: This will simply resynchronize the information on your DAGR (Location, Heading, Speed)

GOTO WP: This option will let you "activate" a waypoint from your WP List

WP LIST: This is a list of all (or none, if you havn't set any up) of the waypoints in your DAGR unit.

CONNECT TO: This option will let you connect your DAGR to your Vector 21B rangefinder. (Will go over later)

OPTIONS: Contains response time settings.

USE

1) Data View. When you open this option, the DAGR will re-sync it's data and open the normal data view.

2) Options. When you open options, you will get a screen for "Response Time". Here you can hit enter to see a time, in milliseconds. The lower the number, the quicker the DAGR will update as you go. The lowest option is a tenth of a second. You can view the video for Connect To to see this in action.

3) Connect To. This option is incredibly useful for anyone that is trying to get data on a vehicle, person, or even place. This option works with the Vector 21B Range finder to link data your DAGR.

Use Video: (Excuse my inproper english and improvisation)

(I'll create a text version if everyone would rather)

4) WP List & GoTo WP. These options will let you create waypoints and 'activate' them within your DAGR.

Use Video: (Once again, excuse my inproper english and improvisation)

(Once again, I will create a text version if anyone would rather!)

CONCLUSION

Alright, you should now be proficient (or getting there!) in using the DAGR! I really hope to see more people using this in-game. If you have any questions or suggestions, please ask or tell. I would love to answer / hear.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Re: Using the dagr - be a better jtac, spotter, and land navigator

Hi m8 Nice info

Feel free to use any info or link to any of this stuff I did one time

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-21b-dagr.html
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Originally posted by BL1P View Post
      Hi m8 Nice info

Feel free to use any info or link to any of this stuff I did one time

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-21b-dagr.html
      I wish I had seen this! I will definitely be adding some info from there that I had missed.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Very nice guide. The video definitely makes it a lot easier to follow for...visual learners like me.

|TG-Irr| Lonewolf80

Comment

Brilliant guide folks, now I can *go read the Players Guide and TG SOP's*
          Last edited by Dredge; 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM. Reason: Much Needed Edit
          "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
          "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
          "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM9991 View Post
            Brilliant guide folks, now I can *go read the Players Guide and TG SOP's*
            I'm not really sure what you are saying here. But I detect a good bit of sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Toptonic - Butler View Post
              I'm not really sure what you are saying here. But I detect a good bit of sarcasm.
              Edited by an admin.

My apologies folks.
              "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
              "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
              "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM9991 View Post
                Edited by an admin.

My apologies folks.
                Oh alright?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X