Sudden GPU preformance loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden GPU preformance loss

I have been experiencing some strange performance issues in a lot of games that I play, today. I started playing Team Fortress 2 (Not very demanding game) and it was getting like 25-30 FPS. I thought "Huh, maybe just some server lag." So after that, I started playing GTA 4. I usually get like 30-40 frames but I was now getting 20-25. I tried toning down the graphics to no avail. Then I fired up ARMA 2 with I44 and I got 25 FPS with medium graphics and 1500 render distance. (I usually play at 4000 with high graphics.) I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out a solution. All the times I was playing I was watching my temperatures and they were like 50-60 degrees. Nothing unusual. If somebody has some sort of solution I'm open to any suggestions. Yesterday, I installed some new windows updates. That might have done it, but I don't know how to back-track it.

Anyway, if somebody could help that would be greatly appreciated. My specs are:

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2720QM @ 2.20GHz
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G74Sx (CPU 1)
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor ([email protected])
    2047MB GeForce GTX 560M (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    Hard Drives
    488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BPKT-80PK4T0 (SATA)
    488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BPKT-80PK4T0 (SATA)

One more note: I'm running this on a laptop.
    sigpic

Re: Sudden GPU preformance loss

If you were playing the single player mission, you may have experienced some form of "lag". That's just the mission design, a poorly made one.

As for performance of your GPU. Check your driver version for any updates via windows, if not visit the website for more info.

Another issue could be the lack of GPU fan doing its job. Have you cleaned the PC? Just a thought.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I'm happy to say I've finally figured out what was wrong. I have this program that came with my computer called ASUS power4gear hybrid, and it controls how much power your using in-case you were to use the laptop unplugged. It was in "Power saving" mode instead of "High performance" mode. That's what was causing all my lag because my GPU barely had enough power to run. Anyway thanks for the advice.
      sigpic

Comment

That's great to hear! I had no idea that it was a laptop! Nice rig!

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Warning for you Noah, as a fellow owner of a ROG, please be wary of prolonged heat when playing intensive games. You will notice a drop in performance like this, but eventually what will join that problem is a consistent increase in average core temperature.

I've had a ROG G73Jh and it has some very beefy fans in them and to be honest, prolonged heat and performance settings will cause issues that given about a 1.5 to 2 years, you will begin to see major degradation...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X