Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HELP] Optimization ArmA 2 CO on GTX560Ti

Hi.

My ArmA 2 is running on very low framerates, and I don't know why. I know that ArmA 2 isnt't a "smooth-running" game at all, but I hope it could be possible to get my game running on a constant FPS.

System:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 [email protected]
    GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX560Ti (1GB) (using "Precision X" for monitoring and clocking)
    RAM: 6GB

FPS ingame:
    -Average ~10-15FPS
    -Lowest ~5FPS (drops suddenly to under 10, without any visible reason, even if I had ~40FPS directly before).
    -Highest ~30-40FPS

I just reinstalled Windows a few weeks ago.
    So my Steam, ArmA 2 CO (A2 + A2OA) are totally fresh/new installed. Also my SixUpdater and mods.
    That should be perfect =)

I would be happy if we could collect some Optimization stuff, so maybe I can get my game running more smooth.
    I already know some Optimization-tricks, but I would prefer to keep the game on "higher" (not maximum) settings instead of low/disabled. ArmA2 has very nice graphics, and I would really like to actually see these amazing graphics.
    Also, I already tried with very low/disabled settings, and lower 3D-Resolution, but I doesn't makes a big difference (0-5FPS).

Thanks for your help!

Greetings
    Andy

Re: [HELP] Optimization ArmA 2 CO on GTX560Ti

Just a quick tip; precision X causes stuttering. Use GPU-Z instead to monitor.

I just got a EVGA GTX670 FTW and have been messing with optimization lately to find my best settings, so this thread is a big help.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

1. I found that chrome browser makes fps go lower, so just close it from the tasks menu or processes menu
      2. six updater is not helping too, it's very important to close it after lunching arma
      3. Download latest nvidia drivers, go to control panel and set FXAA setting = on (important), Antialiasing mode = off (could be x2-x8 depending on your results), vertical sync off or adaptive (depending on results)
      4. check yout card temp, mine is below 50, it's about 45-50 ( I noticed problems if it goes up to 60)

NOTE: i have 8 gb of RAM and GFX 570 (http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...specifications), intel's Quad CPU (pretty old)

My frame rate is about 40 FPS in chernarus and it's not going lower than 20-25 fps ever. Arma's graphic settings are at max, post processing is low (hate the blur), view distance 2500-4000 depending on map and mission

Comment

This method may or may not work but worth a try nevertheless. Andy try starting the game with the latest Beta patch.

Few things that needs to be attended to.
        -arma2oa.cfg
        located within your "my documents/ArmA2"

Open it with a notepad or similar.
        What you need to find are:
        vsync
        AToC
        FXAA
        PPAA
        PPAA_Level

Edit each to this:
        vsync=0;
        AToC=0;
        FXAA=0;
        PPAA=3;
        PPAA_Level=3;

Save.

Within your game, go to your settings/video settings/AA to Disabled.

Also, note that ARMA works better with CPU's working at and above 3.0Ghz.

Let me know how it goes for you.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Yeah, try setting all the Video Options -> Advanced to Normal and disabling Post Processing and see what happens.

Also, regardless of the FPS number, do you feel the low FPS? Some FPS tools may reflect an incorrect number. If you have a 2nd monitor, run up Task Manager and see which metric (CPU, Disk, RAM, Network) is a possible contributing factor.
          sigpic
          I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Comment

Thanks for all your help!
            Will test the stuff later, and tell you what happens.

@Riyker:
            Yes, I feel the low FPS.
            If they are about 15-20FPS its okay (not best, but okay).
            If they are under 10/15FPS (especially when aiming with long-range scopes), its hell! I really feel it, and especially when moving or turning the FPS drops even lower, which makes it nearly impossible for me to play properly.
            I can't aim anymore... and I'm walking against walls =(

Comment

Hello Andy, if you are running Fraps, this can also slow your game down abit, not much but added to all the other stuff could be a small factor. I now use dfs_frpscounter. It is in the Mods list in Sixupdater and has an approved Signature that you can use on Alpha or Bravo servers. So, unless you intend to take screen shots or make video clips of in game missions, it might be something else you can try.

Comment

@LowSpeed: I tried it, but now everything looks a bit weird.
                It seems to be the Post-AA effect you activated there... makes the game run pretty fast, and i can play at max. settings fpr textures, and so on, but still looks very weird.

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE View Post
                  Hello Andy, if you are running Fraps, this can also slow your game down abit, not much but added to all the other stuff could be a small factor. I now use dfs_frpscounter. It is in the Mods list in Sixupdater and has an approved Signature that you can use on Alpha or Bravo servers. So, unless you intend to take screen shots or make video clips of in game missions, it might be something else you can try.
                  I have this, and I love it. I usually get kicked out of Bravo for it though... I'll check into it more.

Originally posted by Pax'Jarome Malues View Post
                  It seems to be the Post-AA effect you activated there... makes the game run pretty fast, and i can play at max. settings fpr textures, and so on, but still looks very weird.
                  I noticed this too. It seems to streamline everything. I notice that unlike the traditional AA, it doesn't create a "flowy" edge to objects, but instead still has the hard sharp edges. They are just overall smoother, and lack the ragged edges you'd see from a disabled AA. Overall though, I like it.

This is currently what I'm running.

System Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 running @ 4.0gHz
                  eVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Edition running 1.2gHz
                  8gb G.Skill Ripjaws series RAM
                  Corsair CX600 600w PSU

Heaven Benchmarks:

Everything on ultra, I get 49.9 AVG FPS.

In-Game Settings:

Interface Res: 1920x1080
                  3D Res: 1920x1080
                  Texture Detail: Very High
                  Video Memory: Default
                  Anistotropic Filtering: Very High
                  AntiAliasing: Disabled
                  Terrain Detail: Very High
                  Object Detail: Very High
                  Shadow Detail: Very High
                  HDR: Normal (Rain on high HDR ruins my FPS, so I just keep it normal)
                  Postprocessing: Disabled

My arma2oa.cfg file settings:

Code:
                  Resolution_W=1920;
                  Resolution_H=1080;
                  Resolution_Bpp=32;
                  refresh=60;
                  winX=8;
                  winY=32;
                  winW=1901;
                  winH=1040;
                  winDefW=1901;
                  winDefH=1040;
                  Render_W=1920;
                  Render_H=1080;
                  FSAA=0;
                  postFX=0;
                  GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;
                  GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;
                  HDRPrecision=8;
                  lastDeviceId="";
                  localVRAM=2091581440;
                  nonlocalVRAM=2147479552;
                  vsync=1;
                  AToC=7;
                  PPAA=3;
                  PPAA_Level=3;
                  Windowed=0;
                  On these settings, I average like 38 FPS. Sometimes I'm running 60 FPS sometimes I'm running 23.

Last edited by Toptonic - Butler; 06-09-2012, 12:12 PM.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

I tried some of the stuff.
                    Closing SixUpdater helped me the most.

But even if I set EVERYTHING to very low/disabled, I don't get more than 20 FPS.
                    Thats really frustrating and confusing...
                    I don't know what to do.

I know my Graphics-Card isn't the best, but from what I see on YouTube, it should be able to handle ArmA 2...

Comment

Originally posted by Pax'Jarome Malues View Post

Yes it is a known trade off.
                      Beauty vs performance.

I chose the latter.

Sent from my phone

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

@Andy

Gave you tried to use lower resolution?

Sent from my phone

Comment

Andy why would Sixupdater be running in the background. I recommend to create an icon for desk top for either Alpha and or Bravo server thru Sixupdater. I choose the one that creates-executes-shutdown. This will start up Six to initiate the mod set than start any apps you have selected then after it executes to get into server Sixupdater will auto shut down so as not to be running in the background.

Comment

Hey guys, playing with Andy now. He fixed it, and it happened to be that his windows was set to "Power Saver" mode.

Comment

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my phone

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X