Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does TG uses long range ACRE channels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does TG uses long range ACRE channels?

Long time ago I did a mission with you guys, way back when ACRE was fairly new. In general I'm interested in how TG implements the long range radio when there are several support units in the mission. I'm especially interested to see how you guys do it for a Dutch Arma community I'm part of (for our future joint operations and bigger missions). Always good to learn from others with experience I think :)

For example, let's say there is a mission with the setup below (I might use different names for some things but I think the general idea will be clear):

Platoon 1
    - 1.0 Command group (a platoon commander who runs the whole mission + medic etc)
    - 1.1 Group (group commander + 8 infantry)
    - 1.2 Group (group commander + 8 infantry)
    - 1.3 Group (group commander + 8 infantry)

Support
    - 2.1 Group CAS (A10 and Apache airsupport)
    - 2.2 Group Mortar (a mortar team)

How would you divide the long range channels? Would you put the platoon commander + all group commanders on one channel on the long range and both support groups on different channels (How do you call in CAS? Will you change channel to CAS channel and call in support?). Or would you put the leaders of the support groups in the same channel as the platoon so everyone is directly communicating? Or something different?

Usually we have our air support on the platoon net with the platoon commander and all group commanders. But usually we only have one support unit. So I'm curious how you will do this when you have multiple support elements within the mission (2 or maybe even 4 different elements for example).

Re: How does TG uses long range ACRE channels?

Generally with ACRE 343 channels are per sqaud and if need be per fire team (it also depends on if there are multiple AO's). 148's and manpack radios are used for platoon net communications and vehicles. If you're mission is large enough you may need to have channels (148/manpacks) for each vehicle type like for instance; armor channel 1, cas channel 2, evac/transport (rotary) channel 3. If you do need it setup this way I would highly recommend creating a JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller) to handle air assets while the overal CO and XO handle all ground units. So using your example here is a quick and dirty setup.

Platoon 1
    - 1.0 Command group (a platoon commander who runs the whole mission + medic etc)
    343 channel = 6
    148/manpack channel = 1 (all command members)

- 1.1 Group (group commander + 8 infantry)
    343 channel = 1
    148/manpack channel = 1 (leader only)

- 1.2 Group (group commander + 8 infantry)
    343 channel = 2

- 1.3 Group (group commander + 8 infantry)
    343 channel = 3

Support
    - 2.1 Group CAS (A10 and Apache airsupport)
    148/manpack channel/rack = 2
    - 2.2 Group Mortar (a mortar team)
    343 channel = 1 (unless they are super close to the AO)
    148/manpack channel = 3 (leader only)
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking this myself as well. But assuming that you don't have a JTAC to handle communication between command and the air or ground support assets, would you still leave those support units on a different long range channel? Because if you do, either the platoon commander or group commander (depends who has the authority) needs to switch his long range to a different channel in order to get in contact with support units. This way he won't be able to keep on command net. Especially if he needs to guide the air asset during his attack. I can imagine, without a JTAC, you want those support units on the same channel as the command channel, right?

Comment

There are ways around that. For example, a commander can use two 148s and a 117 to communicate with his squads and flight. ACRE offers the ability to put radios in each ear and this helps out quite a bit.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
          There are ways around that. For example, a commander can use two 148s and a 117 to communicate with his squads and flight. ACRE offers the ability to put radios in each ear and this helps out quite a bit.
          Yes, this what I was thinking about as well. Use multiple radios and put one on left ear, one on right and maybe the other on both to distinguish easily (even though radio callsign protocol should be easy to distinguish to begin with).

Comment

Yeah I usually keep 117 in stereo.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

With good radio discipline. Most of the above can be addressed to.

But for the sake of clarity.
              Squad leaders should have 343,148,119 or 117F.
              Having the radio pack also helps the players know who their squad leader is visually.

FTLs should have 343, 148.
              The men under him should have 343.
              But used only of they need it. They should use direct at most times.

JTAC, CCTs, FOs.
              119,117F, 343 as their own.

Pilots
              Built in, or 117F.

Mission Commander and his 2IC/XO.
              343,148,119,117F.
              343 and 148 to be used between his hq element.

1.Set an emergency freq.
              2.Set a freq for higher.
              3.Set a freq for 2IC/XO
              4.Set a freq for squads/sections.
              5.Set a freq for JTAC, etc.
              6.Set a freq for pilots.

Number 3 can be disregarded. If not used.

Most important. All leaders should make a note of the Freqs of all.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X