Joystick is not that good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick is not that good

I have been flying for probably 40 hours with the joystick that i fly with I couldnt get used to fly with it its not that responsive and no that acccurate dont know what to say, maybe i need more time flying but as of now I really prefer mouse and keyboard.

Re: Joystick is not that good

Sometimes you just need a month or two to get used to a joystick's slow reactions and accuracy (knowing how much to overcompensate and such) but with enough practice i'm sure you could be a great pilot (with a joystick) in Arma.

also whats the make of it, just curious.
    sigpic

warning excessive amounts of caffine may apply... results may vary

Comment

logitech 3d max pro

Comment

I have the same one lol. It's actually not bad. I would advise un-installing the profile program that comes on the driver disk because it causes inaccuracy and it's not all that good. Also, as crazy as it may sound, try using it in different games not just arma. Try and get a good feel for it. I've been playing a ton of DCS: A10c lately and it really works well for it. It's on sale for $15 (Normally $40). Hope it helps.
        sigpic

Comment

A mouse has a lot faster of a reaction time than any joystick, in my opinion. But joysticks are alot smoother and swifter in flying, in my opinion. Takes time to get used to joysticks. You'll get the hang of it. Plus, your a highly skilled pilot, it wont take long until your rocking that Logitech 3d max pro =).
          Puerto Taught Me How To Play, You've Been Warned!

Comment

Joysticks always take a little time to get used too. However if your still having trouble after a few more hours, fiddle around with the sensitivity and you can get it just right for your style of flying. I prefer a smother feel whereas others may want to make a lot of small adjustment and like a higher sensitivity.
            sigpic

Comment

Yea been fooling around with the controls and the deadzone and its getting better still need some work to be done

Comment

Hey Liquid. So far I'm doing great with the joystick. It takes some getting used to the stick itself, then figuring out that right amount of sensitivity. Few weeks after owning the 3D Extreme Pro I bought the G27 also from Logitech. I only use the Logitech software for the steering wheel as it was neccessary for rFactor. Haven't bothered using the software with the joystick.

The sliders in game do not represent the sensitivity at all.

Numbers go like this:
                Sensitivity Value
                0% - 50% 0.0 - 1.0
                50% - 100% 1.0 - 10

From 0% to 50% its decimal from 0 to 1. From 50% onward its 1.0 to 10. Right now I have to edit my profile file in MyDocs to set all three axies to 1.0, which is considered 50% in game. The throttle knob is set to 0.25. These numbers are in a string at the bottom of the profile file itself.
                Thrash Till Death!

sigpic

Comment

I have the same joystick Madcat and I will have to check that out - thanks for the info.
                  sigpic

Comment

I just bought the same joystick Extreme 3D pro and enjoyed it alot. Considering I have not flown very much in all the ArmA games, including original operation flashpoint. As soon as i came home with it today I jumped in an F35 and had a good fly around map, and off it a bit. I do agree it will take some getting used to and some setting up for buttons etc. I also purchased A10 Warthog on steam flash sale today for $10 to compliment the purchase.

Comment

Everyone is entitled to there opinion. I fly with joy stick and rudder pedals which is harder then it seems at times many of you have seen my fly and the helicopter does this akward turn to the opposite direction well that was because I accidentally inverted the controls I have since fixed this and see that flying is becoming more and more simple all you have to do is crash and learn or burn anyway whats right for me may not be right for you its all about getting everything set up right the joy stick can be just as responsive as mouse and key board but in my opinion its sacrilege to fly with out it :P but that's me coming from 6 or so years of flight sims that really required it. now with track ir its a whole new ball game ><

Comment

I fly with an X-52. It took some time getting used to the throttle in helicopters as well as how the helicopter handled, but I found that it is much easier to fly with a joystick. I've never been a fan of flailing my mouse around just to turn enough and increasing the sensitivity just makes flying damn near impossible for me. The one thing I do miss is easy hovering with on/off throttle instead of analog.
                        Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                        Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I think that it will just take time to get used too. I know that I am just learning and it has taken some time to adjust. I am using a crappy joystick but using keyboard for all controlls. I think that I have gotten used to how the choppers handle, now it is just practice!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

"Flying with keyboard and a mouse since Operation Flashpoint"

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Hi, I fly with an xbox360 controller and I find it very easy to handle. I didn't have any problems with it, not even in the beginning.

I have a theory: since the analog sticks on a 360 controller are smaller and handled by only your thumbs you can adjust and readjust very quickly along the different axies with no problems due to your thumbs being very good at delicate movements already.
                              A joystick is awkward in comparison because you are using your wrist to control it instead wich may lead to some sluggishness and it may take some time to make your brain learn the new motor skills required to make the adjustments you want/expect. In a sense it's kind of like playing the piano with your fists if you've not done it alot beforehand. But if you put the time in you'll get better at it and in turn benefit from the added precision a joystick offers.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X