keybinding to comms channels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keybinding to comms channels

I've heard some say they bind their keys to specific comms channels. How is this done? and if we use some of the optional "channels" that the server patch (10 total channels I believe) then how would / could we bind keys to those channels (or would we want to??). I'm interested as I'm trying to work on my "keep my eyes on the screen" keyboard memory and I'd like to start it sooner than later (ala - grenadeventory key . . . lol).

Any advice / help is appreciated.

MSS

PS - on the topic, how about key binding some of the more advanced stances?? . . . is that even possible??

Re: keybinding to comms channels

Hey man,

for the optional channel i dnt know, but for the normal one, i personally use my keypad. Exemple: the zero on my keypad is group, one is vehicle , two 2 command and 3 is direct. Just go into your control config and remap your key to your liking.

Cheers

-Rat
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

Rat is entirely right.

As for the custom channels, the game currently does not have a way to bind these. However, if you are looking further into key binds, I suggest loading up a game and just spending some time looking through the controls. I usually change my controls around every time I get a new mouse or keyboard, and find that playing a SP mission or two with the controls really helps me get used to them.

Just some things to note regarding priorities of keys:

- Direct channel should be the easiest to access COMMS key (as this is the most used).
      - Being able to move is also rather important, but make sure you have easy access to and are comftorable with your 'Get Prone / Crouch" keys. I have mine bounded to "F" and "C" and it has saved my life a few times.
      - Reverse your "Switch Grenade" and "Throw Grenade" keys. This will cause far less AD's, so to speak.
      - And lastly, from personal experience... don't bind your "Eject" key. At all.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Toptonic - Butler View Post
        Rat is entirely right.

- And lastly, from personal experience... don't bind your "Eject" key. At all.
        hahaha :) been there, done that Butler?
        sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

I use the default broadcast key and usually switch it to direct channel. I bind my 1 key on my numpad to group channel and my 2 key on my numpad to command channel.

Go to your settings and find your comm channels and it's easy to re map them.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatomik View Post
            hahaha :) been there, done that Butler?
            As commander I couldn't take the stress, apparently.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

They key to this (as I found out) was actually BEING IN a multiplayer game . . . once in there . . . . ta da . . . the "multiplayer" options show as part of the controller setup . . . with that little tidbit now I see all the "comms channels" and can key bind accordingly.

My reason for asking is I have this pretty sweet keyboard (see the "hardware" thread in the main channel of the boards) and it has "G keys" that can be used . . . so I'm thinking of how I might lay them out and how I might use the whole thing . . . my issue was finding the control area for them . . . .and now (thanks to you guys) I know where to find them.

On with the build!!!!! . . . .

. . . . . .so much to learn . . . . so little time

Oh, and by the way - I've been spending a ton of time in the heilo world trying NOT to crash . . . . . maybe the new box will help with that little "issue". . . . lol

MSS

Comment

I have my coms key bound on my mouse button. I have one bound to direct, the other to push to talk, and I change channels like normal with <>

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Thanks Jack . . . I was thinking about that. I have a multi-key mouse as well (still getting use to it) and thought that at least "Direct" would be one of them.

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Its funny how everyone does something different that works for them. I have two thumb buttons on my mouse. I use one to switch weapons in game and the other to transmit in teamspeak.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by MadSoloSniper View Post
                      Thanks Jack . . . I was thinking about that. I have a multi-key mouse as well (still getting use to it) and thought that at least "Direct" would be one of them.

Thanks for the insight.
                      Not a problem bud. I do know though with the bindings on the mouse you have to be more cognizant of coms chatter since its really in an easy place to get to and makes talking on the radio a little easier. :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

My setup is bit more complicated. You don't have to adapt it. Just wanna share it.

V - direct channel (jumping over changes to J, diary changes to insert)
                        B - group channel (binocular changes to numpad 1. Unbind look 1)
                        N - Command channel (nighvision changes to numpad 2. Unbind look 2)
                        M - Push to talk (map changes to numpad 5. Unbind look 5)
                        Ctrl + V - Vehicle channel

Might be confusing. Some of these are influenced by me juggling ACE and Vanilla from Arma 2.

Comment

No worries . . . I try not to talk much (keep my head down and just listen), but the big plus will be NOT searching for the PTT switch in the heat of things taking my eyes off of the enemy . . . . can't tell you how often THAT has happened already.

Comment

Thanks B . . . my biggest issue is what to "unbind" . . . . Question - how many of you actually USE the num-pad (maybe I'm missing something) but with all the mouse work I don't go "there" . . . . ever.

Seems my guidance bus backs up further . . . also (posting a pict in a few) given the layout of this new keyboard and it's "G" keys, I have a world of possibilities open to me, but again they need to be mapped from actual KEYS on the keyboard . . . more to follow.

Comment

I use the numpad mostly because almost every other key is used for something else. I don't see a need for the "look" function most of the numpad is bound to so using that makes sense to me.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed