Joystick Throttle/Collective question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick Throttle/Collective question

For those joystick players out there, I have a question about how you handle throttle (collective) for helicopters in Arma 3.

I currently have a Saitek Cyborx X which works great, with the exception of the throttle. I bind collective analogue to it, but don't get lift until about 60% of the throttle. Finding a nice hover is incredibly difficult because it's nowhere near 50%, and is very sensitive.

I've researched on the BIS forums and the Arma 3 feedback tickets, and this is apparently a common complaint with not only Arma 3, but Arma 2 as well. Some folks use third party software to adjust the throttle, others say it's as simple as assigning the + and - differently, i.e. assigning both collective up and down to the + throttle axis.

I'm curious, what joystick, if any, do you use? And how do you have the collective set up? I'd like to be able to pull my throttle to a known position to hover, but I know having some leeway to reduce collective is also nice, but maybe falling back to a keybind is best for that.

Re: Joystick Throttle/Collective question

Hmm... as an avid flight simmer I have a joystick (model escapes me) and a CH Products Yoke. I used them in ArmA a bit but didn't notice anything strange. When I get some time (in a few weeks?) I will look into this and get back to you.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

I thing that using a gamepad controller (xbox360 type) is the best compromise between mouse-keyboard/joystick. I can execute some pretty slick manoeuvres that i cant do do with a joystick. I beg you to consider and try it : )

-Rat
      sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

I have the same joystick and the same issue but there is a compromise that I use pretty regularly. In the air I am pretty much at full throttle or 90-95%. If I need to hover I keep it just past 50%. Now here's the tricky part. When I land I fully lower the throttle on the joystick to zero. Once I near the ground about 75 to 125m I start using Q and Z. This will negate the analogue and I find it to be more precise especially for landing.

Ratatomik I just got another 360 type controller as my old one broke. I usually map it for flying fixed wings since ArmA's flight model is more of an arcade.

Just for fun with my joystick I can do barrel rolls, loops, rollovers, and if I am really in the zone a decent circle strafe.
        sigpic

Comment

I do have a 360 controller, so maybe I'll give that a try for a little while and see how it goes. I've just gotten so used to the joystick, I'm horrible with keyboard and mouse now.

Comment

Originally posted by PeanutButterWolf View Post
            For those joystick players out there, I have a question about how you handle throttle (collective) for helicopters in Arma 3.

I currently have a Saitek Cyborx X which works great, with the exception of the throttle. I bind collective analogue to it, but don't get lift until about 60% of the throttle. Finding a nice hover is incredibly difficult because it's nowhere near 50%, and is very sensitive.

I've researched on the BIS forums and the Arma 3 feedback tickets, and this is apparently a common complaint with not only Arma 3, but Arma 2 as well. Some folks use third party software to adjust the throttle, others say it's as simple as assigning the + and - differently, i.e. assigning both collective up and down to the + throttle axis.

I'm curious, what joystick, if any, do you use? And how do you have the collective set up? I'd like to be able to pull my throttle to a known position to hover, but I know having some leeway to reduce collective is also nice, but maybe falling back to a keybind is best for that.
            Are you using the the analogue collective or the or just the normal one because the analogue one is designed to give full control with input devices from 0-100. -OPS

Comment

I'm using analogue. + and - axis to collective analogue up and down. but only about 40% of the throttle actually gives me any lift, as referenced here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6888 although the engine seems to start with just 5-10% of throttle.

There are several other feedback reports that are similar.

Comment

Originally posted by DeF View Post

Ratatomik I just got another 360 type controller as my old one broke. I usually map it for flying fixed wings since ArmA's flight model is more of an arcade.
                I cant seem to really get good at flying fixed wings with the 360. Im having trouble with precision at ground attack.
                sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

Well, I've been messing around with the 360 controller and actually like it quite a bit. The throttle is much easier to deal with.. while testing it vs. the joystick I also came across a problem that I think is responsible for some of my heli crashes from previous events.

I noticed that with the joystick, when I go into the map, I lose throttle position and start to descend until I move the throttle again.

I recall one time I got to low, scraped a hill and crashed the attack chopper in the middle of an event (sadface).. It was because I had just gone into the map for a brief second, and when I came out I didn't adjust the throttle again (it was at max) so while I thought I should be gaining altitude, I was actually losing altitude... By the time I noticed and lowered and then raised the throttle back to max, it was too late.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X