Nvg + compass functionality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvg + compass functionality

Is there a work around to make the compass readable while using NVGs?
    "We the unwilling,
    lead by the unknowing,
    have done so much with so little for so long
    we can now do anything with nothing."

Re: Nvg + compass functionality

You had me at readable. :) I haven't noticed the NVG part honestly but if they would just enlarge the compass that should work right? Maybe there is a setting for that? I don't know...been almost 2 months since I played Arma. I can't remember anything anymore.
    Last edited by Unkl; 01-07-2014, 11:56 PM. Reason: important missed letter
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Miss you Unkl . . . . hurry up and get those "chores" done and that game rig back online . . . . :-)

Comment

I think I know what you are talking about. Personally, I usually have to turn off the NVGs take the bearing and then turn them back on. Or turn the opposite direction and take a back bearing... but that predictably doesn't work very well.

Comment

That's what I have been doing. I was just hoping that there's a setting I could change.
          "We the unwilling,
          lead by the unknowing,
          have done so much with so little for so long
          we can now do anything with nothing."

Comment

I ran into this with DayZ, it was driving me nuts until I figured it out. Check the resolution of your screen while you are ingame. Between your aspect ratio (16:9) and screen size (1920x1080) it should pop up with no problems. Depending on what you are set at and have for a monitor, it may drastically effect what you are seeing. You may have to play with it a bit, but it does work once you find your correct settings.

NVG.jpg

I hope that helps!!
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I usually set the size of the compass with the interface to large and am able to read and see all the numbers and lines in between. When using NVG's you might have to move your compass up or down to deflect the glare of your night vision goggles off the face of the compass.

Comment

So, I played with this functionality for a time today just to see if I could “fix” it based on the comments here and messing with the “settings” in my ArmA setup.

Well after some extended time in the dark I can say that no amount of messing fixes the issue for me. I have a pretty nice rig and most of the settings are at “ultra” and changing any, most, all or a combination of them does not make a difference. The compass is a bright blur and tilting did not help either.

What I did notice was a sensitivity change that takes place when using NVG in or near lit areas. Back in the ArmA2 days (ACE may have been a factor as well) the sensitivity of the NVGs could be set using the NUM + and – keys (I believe) and as things got “darker” you could dial up the sensitivity to see better (losing some clarity as the amount of ambient light diminished) . . well in ArmA3 this seems to happen automatically. When near the base (and some street lights) the compass was easily read under NVGs and the numbers could be seen, but in the middle of a forest in the fog and rain with no nearby ambient light . . . . the compass was all washed out . . similar to dialing up the sensitivity to see in the dark and then having the light of the “lit” compass showing in the “dialed up” NVGs. . . if one comes out from under NVGs it could be easily seen (but it was pitch black out otherwise) when in the middle of the forest.

Summary – changing video settings did not work for me and no amount of “tilting” made the compass view any clearer when there was no ambient light nearby. I am not sure what workaround there is other than HAND’s solution of “take off NVGs to get a bearing and then put them back on” when a fine bearing is necessary – though this is not an elegant solution it at least works. Maybe with time a script or workaround can be sourced that allows the compass to be more easily read in the middle of a forest like it can be near town under NVGs.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X