This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] ArmA 3 Operator, functions and bugs

short version: UAV's/UGV's are fully functional and can be used as recon (range all the way up to 12 klicks with its 2x, 10x and 35x magnification scope), CAS, fire support and ammunition transport (UGV). Some "issues" can make the operator go dizzy at some times... I'm gonna list those below.
    I wanted to make this thread because this role has grown a lot since arma 2 and if anyone else in the community wants to become an operator just send me a PM if you need some tips & tricks, now im not gonna say you need 12km distance and object distance drawing, but you probably need minimum 4km. Sure, you can fly up close over the AO, but what if they have AA capabilities or better yet AAA?

Overview: All these vehicles have 3 menus of parameters: Type, Behaviour and Altitude. Type is assigning it to support, loiter, land etc. Behaviour is its RoE and Altitude is self-explainatory, it is only for UAV's. Max altitude is currently only 2000 meters - 20, 50, 200, 500 and 2000 are the available settings. These parameters are given by right-clicking a waypoint.

AR-2 Darter: No problem at all. Don't quote me on this but I believe it can even take off and land if you assign a waypoint - only thing is of course its short flight time

UGV: Works near perfectly, just some minor problems where it gets stuck on rock walls and bridges when using automatic waypoints. Be careful on this. Good thing is it always moves along the right side of the road, good for infantry to keep in mind

UGV RCWS: with its .50 and 40mm added on top of the UGV, it has the same issues adding with that it has an automatic gun system much like the mk30(A) and mk32(A), the automatic stationary weapons. This means assigning its RoE is actually quite tough but possible, there is also no way to assign the turret to look in a specific direction while driving. Every time you switch to gunner seat, you'll have to turn the gun back towards the battle

UAV ATGM: From takeoff to landing - Takeoff does not work, apparently in its first takeoff it follows the formation with the operator and in latter ones it goes in a random direction. As for flying, waypoints and ATGM engagements are fine, but it lacks the most important parameter which is Speed. Currently it travels at 300 kph+ unless you assign it to increase altitude in which it goes +/- 80 kph. This makes reconnisance tougher than it could be. Last of all landing, I did try it once on the largest airfield and it seemed to work though I haven't tried smaller airfields. Automatic landing is very smooth at 70-80 kph and taxi on runway at 50 kph, when waypoint is reached it keeps 20 kph until taken over by the operator

UAV GBU: Same as ATGM adding with that it has a laser just like the ATGM for targetting for its own GBU's, however its automatic flight pattern when engaging makes it near impossible to drop the bomb higher than a couple houndred meters above ground and without a speed parameter it is also not an easy task to steady the turret. That is why I suggest any other unit to lase the target.
    As for targeting on a laser, it is all math. Lock the GBU's with tab (default) and when you're at a specific distance and altitude mixed with speed, it should start to virtually lock on (the square gets a circle around it)

Some features I missed out mentioning:
    *You can connect to the vehicle both directly and using RMB on the UAV terminal map
    *Ctrl+LMB to assign multiple waypoints
    *You cannot use an unmanned vehicle that is owned by Another side and you cannot use one when you are considered hostile (when you've friendly fired or got destroyed in unmanned vehicles)
    Last edited by Xorilliz; 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM. Reason: adding missing content
    - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Re: ArmA 3 Operator, functions and bugs

Good info. I'm lost with these things and the RoE can be a plan wrecker if you can't control it.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I am thinking a short 30 minute class would be perfect to demonstrate and educate the rest of us who want to learn! :row__523:

[MENTION=52868]Xorilliz[/MENTION] Would you mind giving us a class with the help if TGU? We can create a mission where we can play with all of the UAV/UGV.
      [MENTION=38102]Unkl[/MENTION] Think TGU could give us a hand on this one?
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
        I am thinking a short 30 minute class would be perfect to demonstrate and educate the rest of us who want to learn! :row__523:

[MENTION=52868]Xorilliz[/MENTION] Would you mind giving us a class with the help if TGU? We can create a mission where we can play with all of the UAV/UGV.
        [MENTION=38102]Unkl[/MENTION] Think TGU could give us a hand on this one?
        I do not feel fit to teach a course, I have little experience in military terms and procedures. Maybe I'll be an assistant at max. I simply gave information on how this role is portrayed in the game - this could also be built out by the teaching of CAS/JTAC in combination with Aircrafts in general, since GBU's plays a huge role for an operator in the game

sigpic

Comment

You don't have to teach, that is what TGU does. We just need someone to show us what it looks like when it is properly done...
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

then yes, I'll show how it can be done for as much as I know

sigpic

Comment

UAV's can take off apparently, just gotta assign a Type. It only has automatic takeoff and landing support on specific airfields such as main airfield and salt lake Almyra airfield

UAV GBU: steady turret wasn't a problem, but the flight pattern when it drops a GBU is still a problem as well as target priority, you cannot target a GBU to drop on the laser when UAV spots a vehicle

found some alternative none-conventional ways to drop GBU's on spot, theres always a complicated workaround. :) not gonna mention this here though, too complicated
              Last edited by Xorilliz; 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM.

sigpic

Comment

forgot to mention that a lot of people have not yet noticed that the operator has the ability to use the mk30(A) and mk32(A) stationary .50 and 40mm from the other side of the map using the UAV terminal. this way, an infantry team could bring one with them and ask the operator to support them once they mount it up - it also fires in an automatic mode without the operator using it, targeting any hostiles including friendlies who have friendly fired

I wish I could edit the original post to add this stuff :/

sigpic

Comment

ArmA 3 is going to recieve some long awaited features at episode 3 release, at least for my part

•PIP mode (VIS, NV, TI) is the same as mode in AVs optics (could be changed by player while in control of AV)
                  ^ I'm gonna like this option for commanches, hunters and so on. It will let me observe the PiP screen inside the vehicle at any time to see what my gunner is sleeplessly staring at, or if he uses nothing but TI and never switches to VIS

as well as the "AV Camera" feature - you can see the livefeed of your connected unmanned vehicle without going in as gunner in the vehicle, if this is compatible with the Zoom and steady turret on UAV's as well, then you can simply point your turret to watch a piece of land and you can see everything in an entire town through a livefeed on the bottom right of the screen and you can still fight with your team. Awesome? Yes - almost a piece of wallhack right there. the one thing im still concerned about is UAV travelling speed, its far too quick still. lets hope it changes

these just popped up on dev branch. good times ahead :)

sigpic

Comment

Great info. Should make operating the UAV much more interesting since you don't loose your situational awareness.
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer
                    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                    189th Infantry Brigade Member
                    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Here is a quick remade guide to getting your UAV's to do CAS and Recon safely in simple steps

1. Check Settings > Controls > Weapons and make sure Target vehicle is set to T and Cycle vehicles (or something like that) is set to R - which should be default controls, you can also change them if you wish
                      2. Ctrl+LMB (or Shift+LMB?) the area you want the UAV to be located at doing various tasks, then right click the waypoint and choose following:
                      Behaviour: Never fire (does not auto-attack, useful for ATGM UAV's so your ground forces won't ask you why six tanks just got destroyed!)
                      Type: Loiter (I like to set this at max distance, I believe it is 1600m?)
                      Altitude: 2000m
                      Change this around as you become more proficient, these distances requires an object view distance of over 3 kilometers for recon and targeting with the laser while targeting when flying (using the ATGM/GBU) only requires regular view distance (so that radar targets appear to lock-on)

UAV ATGM:
                      3. Press R or T to lock-on while flying and then fire once locked (If settings are set)

UAV GBU (both self-bombing and given target):
                      3. Check Weapon Settings again for "Lock UAV Turret" where default should be Ctrl+T
                      4. In step 2 you configured a waypoint to circle the task area allowing you to be in the gunner seat. Aim on your target and press Ctrl+T, you should no longer be able to move the turret. Press again to release. Lock again and then press LMB to lase, you're now ready to take over flying and press R or T to lock-on and drop the bomb at any distance, direction, altitude and speed of your choosing

One general note: Altitude priority is: Given altitude and then current altitude, so if you fly up to 5427m it will not ascend or descend unless you tell it otherwise.

Feel free to ask questions if anything is uncertain, I can add screenshots to make it more clear if requested

sigpic

Comment

Awesome...can't wait to dig in on this. Ive been spending a lot of time with the UAV terminal and was lacking.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I used to teach JTAC. I still have my notes and would be happy to do it again.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I have planned on rewriting a more complete guide on this so expect a change at a later date with all the information you need on unmanned vehicles

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                            I used to teach JTAC. I still have my notes and would be happy to do it again.
                            unfortunately we never actually get a JTAC in a platoon/squad to work with our air assets, I never see it happen. It would be cool to get some small trainings with multiple UAV operators/pilots and JTAC's ingame to get some of it going and practice practice...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xorilliz View Post
                              unfortunately we never actually get a JTAC in a platoon/squad to work with our air assets, I never see it happen.
                              Perhaps it would be worth it to film a video of our efforts. A demonstration to garner interest and then we can see who would like to give it a shot. I used to do it all the time on the Bravo server. [MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION] was one of a few good mortar men and I was one of a few good JTACs.

Don't see may FO/FAC/JTAC positions these days, but this may be because no one knows how to accurately execute the role.
                              Last edited by Dimitrius; 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM. Reason: spellign

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X