Shooting the air/people at mission complete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOP] Shooting the air/people at mission complete

This has come up yesterday multiple times. Enough for me to spend time and energy thinking about it, and reflecting my thoughts onto writing and sharing this writing in hopes of a better experience for everybody. The topic is about shooting in the air and at people as soon as the mission complete / mission won message comes up. The funny thing is we do not do it as often when we see Mission Failed message. So I imagine this is only celebratory. I would like to leave three points regarding the matter.

1. Why do people do it?
    This would stem from First Person Shooter culture of gamers I presume. I have seen this practice as early as in Call of Duty 1. Does it also come from popular culture? We simulate soldiers in this game who are professional and tactical at least here at TG. Only movie I know that US Marines shooting their guns in the air is "Jarhead". Now I have seen amateur and guerrilla soldiers celebrate in this manner much more than professional soldiers depicted in popular culture and in documentaries.

2. Why should we not do it?
    I would like to echo Rudolf. We simulate a professional tactical soldiers for hours to finish the mission in a successful manner. We uphold mature and respectful communications towards one another for hours. And as soon as the mission is successful, TK each other or mimic the amateur soldiers by shooting and wasting ammo into the air.

I want to share how I feel everytime this happens. We do everything in a very tactical and professional manner and as a team we complete the mission. I feel positive feelings towards my teammates as they have cooperated with me through the simulation. But once the mission ends, shooting in the air or being TK-ed by the same people I have spent last hours with, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. The feeling of professionalism immediately leaves my mind and a bit of anger surfaces as I am virtually betrayed and killed by my teammate.

3. Importance of culture
    I have played at TG for ages and quite a few games. Primer and all that, the culture that shapes TG is what attracts me the most to this community. Culture of teamwork, respect, maturity and professionalism. There are tons of servers and clans that insult each other, goof around, and general shenanigans - tom foolery - asshatery.

So to mold and maintain a culture is the work of everybody who believes and pursues that culture. We have let slip a few incidents of this culture of shooting in the air/people at the mission end and it is starting to mold and take shape. We have to fight against it and always let those who do it know, that it is shunned here at TG. That way we can keep our TG culture intact.

Re: Shooting the air/people at mission complete

My job is Game Officer and I endorse this as an SOP. Well said B.

I will move this to the SOP thread in about a week.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| B View Post
      Th

2. Why should we not do it?
      I would like to echo Rudolf. We simulate a professional tactical soldiers for hours to finish the mission in a successful manner. We uphold mature and respectful communications towards one another for hours. And as soon as the mission is successful, TK each other or mimic the amateur soldiers by shooting and wasting ammo into the air.
      I would like to remind everyone that an intentional TK is always leads to a ban on the TG servers. When this happens does not matter.
      TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

And from the choir comes .....AMEN!

Comment

Well Said B

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Very observant post by B, and I'm sure he took at least few days to let it simmer. I'm glad that you've posted.

My personal dislike, players imitating the so called 'jihadis' and shouting that 'god is great' (I'm not going to type it out here). Such behaviour, rubs me the wrong way. Do do it in COD or BF or whatever. I dare you do that in real life, see what happens.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Shooting in the air and tking directly conflict with the first guideline of The Primer.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I don't really know where this trend started. But this happened to me (players shooting teammates) the other week after a game. It was kind-of a shock to me and I quite frankly found it distasteful on all counts.

However, as a counter-point to the shooting up in the air bit. I could see it as a little bit more appropriate depending on circumstances (for example an rebel group succeeds in reclaiming their hometown from the enemy might be cause for rockus celebration). however, I also believe that even then, it should be at the leaders discretion.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
                "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shoomfie View Post
                  However, as a counter-point to the shooting up in the air bit. I could see it as a little bit more appropriate depending on circumstances (for example an rebel group succeeds in reclaiming their hometown from the enemy might be cause for rockus celebration). however, I also believe that even then, it should be at the leaders discretion.
                  No. There are leaders, and there are leaders. Depending on their choices, it will give me a good reference point to judge them.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

One of the things that makes an admin's job easier is a little thing we call peer pressure. Peer pressure is natural and an unstoppable force in this world. This behavior of shooting in the air is either enabled or disabled in most terms by this peer pressure. I don't think an SOP was ever required at TG before on this but I only know back to 2008 that it was not needed.

What will happen with peer pressure if used the wrong way is that it can turn into elitism or clique mentality. I generally try to keep my foot stomping, admin heavy-handed swinging out of the forums, but when I see posts read with the pang of elitist air then my wind up begins. My instinct is to quash any such posts with unrelenting force.

However, I have learned over the years that you catch more bees with honey. You do know where the cool bees are. We like it when more bees join us.
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer
                    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                    189th Infantry Brigade Member
                    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X