Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible alternative to TrackIR in ArmA??..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible alternative to TrackIR in ArmA??..

Hello all,

I know some of these webcam based tracking devices have been a bust in the past....but if this video on youtube is the real deal I might give this a go!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV_SEgJ1Z78

It's probably not quite as good as TrackIR..but it seems pretty good in the video...

hmmmm....

Chappie

Re: Possible alternative to TrackIR in ArmA??..

I've looked at the TrackIR system for a while. I haven't gone out and purchased one though due to my displeasure with one of the reps from that company. Many moons ago we were running a banner campaign for them for free, they were supposed to send out a TrackIR system for us to review to help bolster the advertising campaign.

Well. They never sent the system and I pulled the ads. A couple months later the same guy approached me and asked once again if we could run a banner campaign for them and I referenced the previous agreement and decided not to participate.

I'd love to promote the TrackIR product on TG, but I've never used the thing and I'd rather not endorse a physical product that I've never even seen.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Looks like they're using Cam2Pan in the video.

Very interesting! Might be worth a shot.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I'm gonna give this a shot tonight.....what the heck..

Now I need to find one of my old web-cams...LOL I have no idea where they are. ;)

Chappie

Comment

Here are a few things to keep in mind about the webcam idea:

1. It's not a TrackIR. Obviously. This means that you won't have the software to tweak the acceleration/sensitivity/deadzone/etc. Games will not natively support it, either, and you'll never get 6DOF movement from it.
          2. It's only pitch/yaw. You won't be able to lean with it, or zoom in/out. This becomes even more important in games that have full 6DOF (like Aces High 2 or Black Shark or MSFSX), where you would be able to move around a virtual cockpit in full 6DOF.
          3. It's going to be pretty slow response compared to a TrackIR. A webcam not designed for the purpose will not be able to match the 120fps that a TrackIR gets, along with the software and hardware features which prevent the TrackIR from tracking incorrect things.
          4. This is a BIG ONE. Because it's only 2DOF, every head movement you make will be translated into either pitch or yaw movements. This is NOT how a TrackIR4 works - it can distinguish all 6DOF, so that a sideways head movement does not get incorrectly translated into a yawing movement. This is a really, really big issue in my eyes - it's the reason why I never used my old TrackIR2 that much (it was 2DOF) but cannot get enough of my 6DOF TrackIR4. To be clear, this means you are going to either have to constantly re-center it, or you're going to have to sit very, very still - to an uncomfortable extreme - to keep your view from going everywhere.

In short, if you try this out and think "Bleh, head tracking isn't any fun!", just remember that you're using a hacked-together thing that really does not approach the functionality of a true TrackIR4.

Comment

Hey all,

Dslyecxi, I couldn't even try it out!!! neither of my webcams work in XP 64!! LOL ahhh well...it was a good idea..have to start saving my pennies for a TrackIR....

Chappie

Comment

Here is a free alternative:

Not tested but is supposed to be able to emulate trackIR(limited)
              http://forum.glenmurphy.com/8/203

Edit: Tested, verdict is thumbs down. They are horrible(both pan2cam and the other linked above). Unless you have a wicked cam and perfect lighting you are out of luck.
              Last edited by PanzerHans; 12-08-2006, 01:11 PM.
              --
              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

If you're hardcore, you'll dish out the money for TrackIR. It's quite a well featured set of hardware. It is a lot of money though. I think those sitting on the fence about TrackIR should wait for some more impressions of its use in ArmA. This is pretty much the first time an FPS has support for TrackIR so it may not be worth it for FPS oriented gamers.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

trust guys, if you dont shell out the cash you will get crap results. There is no such thing as a free lunch. What goes around comes around. I before E except after c, and when sounding like "a" an is Neighbor and Way, on weekends and holydays and all throughout May and you'll always be WRONG NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY!!!!

whoa.... sorry about that..... Anyway just pony up, its worth it. In fact I just did a search on ebay and you can get the Track IR 3 pro and a cool little hat for 50 bucks.

thats what I use and its awesome, it lets me acquire everythign while turning and pulling off mad strafing runs on targets HOOAH!!!!!!!
                  the Track IR four gives a bit for FOV and a bit faster FPS, but the three works jsut great for me.

Comment

Hi,

Any boby tried this out. It's a software like cam2pan, but with 6DOF. I tried the trial version. Works great with my Creative webcam. This could be a real alternative of TrackIr.

www.cachya.com
                    Last edited by TheBigC; 04-03-2007, 11:53 AM. Reason: Helped add link..

Comment

While I appreciate the homegrown engineering webcam approach as an alternative to the very elegant TRACIR4, I think that the most obvious poor man's solution is the 1.05 patch's addition of the free look. It works while flying or driving vehicles, gives at least yaw and pitch (or up/down; right/left views) and can give very good situational awareness when playing infantry. When assigned to a mouse button, it becomes quite easy to use. It's not as elegant as TRACIR4, but it's FREE! inside the game.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but have really latched onto using it. The TRACIR must really open the game up a lot. But until I purchase the TRACIR, free look works decently. I hope it's not removed in the 1.06 patch.

Comment

Originally posted by SailinDawg View Post
                        While I appreciate the homegrown engineering webcam approach as an alternative to the very elegant TRACIR4, I think that the most obvious poor man's solution is the 1.05 patch's addition of the free look. It works while flying or driving vehicles, gives at least yaw and pitch (or up/down; right/left views) and can give very good situational awareness when playing infantry. When assigned to a mouse button, it becomes quite easy to use. It's not as elegant as TRACIR4, but it's FREE! inside the game.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but have really latched onto using it. The TRACIR must really open the game up a lot. But until I purchase the TRACIR, free look works decently. I hope it's not removed in the 1.06 patch.
                        Free look has been present since Operation Flashpoint. It was not an addition in v1.05 in ArmA - it's been there since before ArmA was even conceived.

Comment

Oooopppssss.......my bad.......still real new to ARMA & never played OFP...I missed the freelook when I loaded the 1.04 disk & shortly thereafter installed the 1.05 patch :) never noticed freelook until then ! Even still, I'm used the "on the rail" fps that doesn't offer anything like the free look. I find it pretty sweet option to be able to disengage from the cross hair & take a look around ! I can only imagine how TRACIR really frees up your view and makes it much more natural.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X