Joysticks and such

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joysticks and such

While in BF2 I think the mouse works great for flying helo's, I don't think the same could be said for ArmA. I've read that the game doesn't accept multiple devices and such, but I didn't see any clear recommendations.

What joystick/other devices would anyone recommend for flying? In particular helo's. I plan on purchasing a joystick once my tax return arrives.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Re: Joysticks and such

I got the cheapest one Saitek offers for $20 at walmart. Works fine. Set your keyboard to W is ascend (instead of Q) and S descends... A and D are rudder.

Comment

I can use either the mouse or my joystick without changing any controls.

I would not recommend the stick I am using, the Logitech Extreme3DPro (or any other Logitech with the twist handle). It has a silly twist the handle rudder that makes flying thoroughly un-enjoyable, IMO. It just makes flying feel kinda wishy-washy to me. I bought it originally for FlightSim2004 and didn't like it. It was the only reasonably priced, but not cheap-o-weap-o joystick on Newegg at the time of my purchase.

CH Products has a run of realistic simulation controls for aircraft, separate stick or yoke, throttle, and pedals each running about $100 a piece, <cough>Buccaneer</cough>. Seeing as I cannot post external links, two pictures can be found of these controls on the TouchBuddy thread (Page 1 and Page 3). This is for serious flight-sim though.

Comment

I find using a mouse and keyboard sufficiant.
        TG Regular
        TGU Staff
        ShackTac FNG

TGU Rotary Wing Instructors
        Evil Koala
        LeftSkidLow

Comment

Thanx, guys. I think I will give Bhack's suggestions a try. That might have been my problem.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Hello guys im using in ArmA the Microsoft Sidewinder precision 2
            and it works great. its old but .. it works perfect for me . i really like it a lot
            and it works perfect with vista
            Life is like a Box of Chocolates

Comment

I'm using a Freedom 2.4 Chordless and can't fly any other way.

Anyone know how to bind peddles to the rudder controls though? I can use my MOMO peddles for rudder control in IL2 FB but not in ArmA.

Thanks

Comment

Forrest, with the Sidewinder have you had any luck getting the twist function to work for torque pedals?
                BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

Using the Cougar HOTAS, with Siatek Pedals (which replaced a set of CH Pro Pedals). Throttle being used as the collective.

GPS, Weapons Key, Map, Teamspeak Mic key, Targetting, Mouse functions (for selecting from the game menu) all mapped to JS/Throttle switches - So the Keyboard is not used.

Saiteks are bound to Mouse X-Axis within the SST software. (I had to set up the CH's this way too).

I also own a Logitech G25 Wheel. However, if this is plugged in ArmA recognises this and not the Cougar. So it's unplugged while playing ArmA. If I was duty driver during one of the MP Missions (especially Evo) I would prefer driving using the wheel instead of the Keyboard/Nostromo. So if I can get this to work alongside all my other controllers - bonus!

This afternoon I am going to experiment with Franknstik (an App similar to CH Manager, which claims to combine all your controllers in to one). Will let you know how I get on with later on. (I have to have Franknstik's virtual controller as ID 0, for my experiment to work).
                  sigpic
                  | |
                  TG ArmA Pathfinder
                  One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

I use the Logitech 3d Extreme and enjoy using the twist handle as the rudder. Makes low speed maneuvers much easier IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by BarnacleofDoom View Post
                      Forrest, with the Sidewinder have you had any luck getting the twist function to work for torque pedals?
                      srry i duno what you mean mate

but it all works good except maybe in 1.07Beta where i get buttons messed up .. but in 1.05 works great
                      Life is like a Box of Chocolates

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X