Need help: CTD or complete reboot about an hour into gameplay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help: CTD or complete reboot about an hour into gameplay

Well...my frustration level is pretty high right now. I've been researching this problem over at the BI forums, but there doesn't seem to be much consensus.

Basically, about 30 minutes to an hour into gameplay, my computer will either a) crash and reboot, or b) CTD...then reboot on its own. I'm sure that's the Windows XP self protection feature kicking with the auto-reboots, but the cause is got me stumped. I've checked my system logs, but nothing is coming up flagged after the reboot.

Running 7.3 Catalyst drivers...did a complete uninstall, reg cleaning, and re-install. Running my X1650 at lowest possible settings (AA/AF app controlled, VSYNC off, Render Frames Ahead tested at 1,2, and 3). Game settings are all low...for test purposes. Other stats in my sig block.

I managed to run for about 3-4 hours the other day without a problem...now I can only manage about 30-60 minutes.

I know the latest ATI drivers are causing problems with memory handling, but I'm wondering if you guys have found a solution to *minimize* its effects?

Also...as an afterthought: I recently got the Logitech G-15 gaming keyboard and loaded one of the Teamspeak monitoring LCD progs. Anyone heard of problems running these applets in the background...perhaps causing interference and CTDs?

Thanks for the help.
    |TG| HOUDINI

Re: Need help: CTD or complete reboot about an hour into gameplay

Have you tried running it with the "-maxmem=512" flag on the shortcut? I was having pretty consistent CTD issues after 15-30 minutes until I tried that. Our systems are very dissimilar so I don't know if it'll do anything for you.

Comment

I have a g-15 with schmad's teamspeak applet running, no problems. Sorry dude.

Comment

Houdini.. Any Chance it's a Memory issues.. bad block or something... Maybe try Memtest for a few passes...

Just a thought..

Pear..
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

mem test... turn off the rebooting thing so windows at least gives you a bluescreen.

then start pulling non-essential components one at a time until the crashing stops.

Comment

Man, I forgot about the maxmem thing! Thanks Staneth.

I'll try the memory test as well guys...appreciate the ideas.
            |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

You are not alone with this snag houdini. I suffer the same symptoms, but not found a fix yet. (I moaned about it in the ATI Cat 7.3 thread. The crashes are even logged by MS Event Viewer, but the report is vague).

I have ran the Microsoft Memory Tester and let the test run over 10 times consequetively - no failures detected. If you need the MS memory tester, I have it available to download from my TG Webspace: HERE

You can view the Readme from my downloads page before you download to see how the program works.

I am about to give the "-maxmem=512 flag" a go. Will post back within the next hour if it doesnt work! But much later if it does work!!
              sigpic
              | |
              TG ArmA Pathfinder
              One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

Thanks Buccaneer...I appreciate the link. I'm off today, so if you want to play a few rounds, I'll be idling in Teamspeak.
                |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Hiya mate. I'm sat in TS at the mo, but you are muted. Have given you a couple of Radio checks, but ZGN.

Not much luck with the -maxmem flag. Game ran for 27 minutes, then crashed. Tried again, ran for 19 minutes, then crashed. And finally, once more, 20 minutes then crashed.

There was an update to DirectX this month. So if you download, and install that, it may be good for your system? (Didn't make any difference on mine).

If you go to C:/My Documents/USER NAME/ then:
                  Tools > Folder Option > View (Tab) > Click the radio button for "show hidden files and folders > OK

Double Click your (now viewable) Local Settings Folder > Then Double Click the Application Data Folder > Inside the ArmA Folder is a crash dump file arma.bidmp and an arma.rpt file (this one can be viewed in Notepad).

You will need the debugger from MS to view the bidmp file. Available from MS's website: HERE

ntdll.dll kept getting mentioned across all the files. But after doing a bit of research on this particular dll, its part of the kernel. If there was a major problem with it, Windows and anything running on your system would be having problems. So I think this ntdll.dll is being unfairly blamed as being the possible cause of the problem. If you use the debugger, File > Open Crash Dump (then browse to your arma.bidmp file, it will display in something you can understand)!

Anyway, the fault finding continues and will let you know if I find anything more.
                  sigpic
                  | |
                  TG ArmA Pathfinder

Comment

Thanks again Buccaneer!

Didn't know about the DX update...I've downloaded and installed it.

I've also had a go at the arma.bidmp file. Unfortunately, when I try to open it up with the Debugger tool, I get an error. I've tried all the methods for opening the file that are apparent in the program...but no luck. Could you post a quickie on how you open the .bidmp file in the MS debugger tool?
                    |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Make sure your folder options are set to "show hidden files and folders"

Start WinDbg
                      File > Open Crash Dump (CTRL D)

I then browsed to My Documents/USERNAME/Local Settings/Application Data/ArmA

The file name : arma
                      Files of Type : Crash Dump Files (selected via the drop down menu)

You should get something like this :

================================================== ======

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0007.5
                      Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\Buccaneer\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA\arma.mdmp]
                      User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Windows XP Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
                      Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
                      Debug session time: Mon Apr 16 13:03:42.000 2007 (GMT+1)
                      System Uptime: not available
                      Process Uptime: 0 days 0:04:25.000
                      Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
                      ************************************************** **************************
                      * Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
                      * Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
                      * After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
                      ************************************************** **************************
                      Executable search path is:
                      .................................................. ............
                      This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
                      The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
                      (674.66c): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
                      eax=04130000 ebx=0016fc88 ecx=00000007 edx=7c90eb94 esi=0016fc60 edi=0016fcb8
                      eip=7c90eb94 esp=01bcb2f4 ebp=01bcb304 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
                      cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00000246
                      *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
                      ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet:
                      7c90eb94 c3 ret

================================================== ===============

Don't ask me what it all means though. I haven't a clue!
                      sigpic
                      | |
                      TG ArmA Pathfinder

Comment

I uninstalled ArmA earlier. And deleted any other references to it.

Re-installed, and patched up to 1.05.5136. Adjusted the options to suit (Screen Res, Keys, etc).

Loaded a flyabout using the AH6. Put the Helo in to Auto Hover, and left it running at approx 50ft above the runway.

Popped downstairs for a brew. Watched a bit of telly. Came back to the PC after 1hr 10mins, and suprise, suprise ArmA was still running. Great (I thought I had cracked it at this stage), I set course for Antigua Island, 10 minutes later. Crash - to reboot.

Back to square one. Makes no difference if running 1.05.5136 or 1.05.5143 (beta).
                        sigpic
                        | |
                        TG ArmA Pathfinder

Comment

Maybe rolling back to Catalyst 6.7 might be a good idea.
                          I've had no real problems since going back to 6.7 and the installing the 1.05 patch.

Comment

Originally posted by houdini View Post
                            Also...as an afterthought: I recently got the Logitech G-15 gaming keyboard and loaded one of the Teamspeak monitoring LCD progs. Anyone heard of problems running these applets in the background...perhaps causing interference and CTDs?

Thanks for the help.
                            I've found that Teamspeak Overlay causes a lot of problems (performance loss / CTDs).
                            Don't think the G-15 should since it uses the LCD for output and thus doesn't need to hook into the graphics drivers like Teamspeak Overlay does.

Comment

Regarding the dump file. When I try to open the arma.bidmp file it tells me "Interface Not Supported"

Downloaded and running the latest version of WinDbg (6.6.0007.7)

I'm not too worried about it. I don't want to get too side-tracked on trying to figure out WinDbg. The file's probably corrupt anyway.

The 6.7 Catalysts are looking real good about now. I'm gonna give her one more shot today and see if the maxmem, directx and other tweaks have an affect.
                              |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X