Using Shoot 1.6 (Voice Recognition Software) with ArmA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Shoot 1.6 (Voice Recognition Software) with ArmA

While browsing the BI/ArmA forums today, I noticed a thread about using voice recognition software with ArmA in order to make it easier to give commands to AI as well as perform some of the more cumbersome player controls. The primary program mentioned was Shoot 1.6.

Shoot (and other programs) has been mentioned in TG before: Voice Recognition Software for games!, but I thought it deserved mention again since I think it is perfect for use with ArmA. Here is a description from the website:

Shoot is a speech recognition program that translates your voice commands into arbitrary keystrokes. Perfect for commanding your AI buddies in your favorite flight simulator or FPS! Forget about having to memorize all those keyboard shortcuts, now you can just say what you want to happen. Although was created with games in mind it can be adapted to practically any program by creating an appropriate command profile.
    Shoot is freeware and after using it for a couple of hours tonight, I am hooked! For those unfamiliar with Shoot or voice recognition in gaming (or otherwise) I'll give a quick overview. There are two main roles for this (at least is ArmA) giving orders to AI squad members and controlling actions of your own player. When configuring Shoot (you can edit .xml directly or there is an additional config program) you create/edit a profile that assigns certain keystrokes to phrases you speak into your mic. You also set a push-to-talk button unique to Shoot that tells the program you are speaking. e.g.

"All, return to formation" sends the key presses: ~, 1, 1 (Selects all members of your squad and sends them the return to formation command from the move menu)

"Prone" sends the key press: z (You go prone)

"Map" sends the key presses: m (Your map screen comes up (repeating "Map" stows it again))

I use CapsLock as my PTT and it works well because I just slide my pinky to the left and am able to press it. You can assign almost any standard keyboard key (no mouse buttons unfortunately but you can do joystick buttons).

Some other handy phrases I use are "Garmin" to put GPS on the HUD (I first re-bound GPS toggle it to the J key to make it easier - I used "Garmin" because it is longer to say "jee pee ess" in game), "Compass" to toggle out the compass on the screen (repeating it takes it off), and as well as the radio replies to your SL (a lot us are used to PgUP for "Roger" in BF2, and it is hard to remember to press 0,8 in ArmA instead of PgUp (Stand Up). Now, all I do is press the PTT and say "copy" and I answer in the affirmative over the radio (not voip).

Shoot has a built in voice trainer to achieve greater accuracy (it uses Microsoft's SAPI 5.1speech recognition engine) and configuring it is very easy. You do not have to "teach" the software your phrases. You simply type them in e.g. "map", "garmin" and the software does the rest.

Shoot can work with various different games using different profiles (.xml files) and there is a large library of profiles already created. If you are not comfortable with editing .xml, there is also a freeware configuration program that will import/edit/create/save profiles for you. I have already created one for ArmA and would happily share it with those interested.

EDIT: Added Info:

It is completely compatible with TS, and in-game VOIP (no known conflicts) and does not seem to be a memory hog.

I think that Shoot has tremendous potential for use with ArmA and I plan on using it from here on out.
    Last edited by loyalguard; 06-26-2007, 09:29 PM. Reason: typos and additional
    LoyalGuard

Re: Using Shoot 1.6 (Voice Recognition Software) with ArmA

Oh you tease!.. . I may give it a shot..who knows.. ?
    I wonder how TeamSpeak and this will get along??
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I have had no conflicts with TS or TSO after about four hours of simultaneous use. The trickest part is finding free keybinds. Between ArmA almost using every key, TS and all the ArmA channels, and the PTT key for Shoot...it takes a little to make sure there are no binding conflicts.
      LoyalGuard

Comment

Just a hint, the Shoot profile for Operation Flashpoint is 95% compatible with ArmA. You might want to use that as a base structure for your commands.
        The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

I am sure some obscure "alt+shift" combination would work for channel switching in TS controlled by Shoot. This way you could free up some of the keys already bound by the default TS profile made at TG.
          --
          VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

@ Vic

Originally posted by Vic View Post
            Just a hint, the Shoot profile for Operation Flashpoint is 95% compatible with ArmA. You might want to use that as a base structure for your commands.
            Excellent point Vic! I used the OPF profile as a base for my ArmA one. Your are correct, it is at least 95% ArmA compatible and was easy to modify/add commands.

@ Hans

Originally posted by PanzerHans View Post
            I am sure some obscure "alt+shift" combination would work for channel switching in TS controlled by Shoot. This way you could free up some of the keys already bound by the default TS profile made at TG.
            That is a great idea Hans...I will see if I can come up with a scheme and add it to the ArmA profile. Multiple key combos are easy to do in Shoot so it shouldn't be a problem. Phrases like "Teamspeak channel 1", "Teamspeal channel commander", etc. could be helpful. Other than the mouse button thing, I am not sure if Shoot differerentiates between left-Alt, right-Alt and similar left/right keys. I think it only recognizes Alt for either...we'll have to see if that affects Teamspeak.
            LoyalGuard

Comment

I just got this working now, still need to try it in-game though.

Did anyone manage to get the TS channels added the the profile? I could have a stab at it otherwise.
              "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Ok, I've just spent a few hours upgrading, tweaking and adding stuff from the OFP profile to an ArmA profile.

I've pretty much got all commands covered, and I've managed to get squad channel changing as well as a toggle for channel commander setup and working.

Tomorrow I will make sure it all makes sense, I may add more words to the same command for ease of use (e.g. I have set the 'Halt' order to 'Stop' and 'Halt' due to the menu saying one thing and the spoken command saying the other). Then I'll play around adding any controls that may be helpful (I'm thinking binos for starters).

So if anyone has any requests or suggestions, feel free to post them and I'll look into it. If its something I won't use personally, I'll still include it I'll just make a special version for whoever requested it.

Gin

Comment

Ok, I've been meaning to post the profile I made up for a couple of days now.

You can download the profile here. I have exported it as a html so you can see what each command does here.

I have also edited the TS keybinds to work with this profile (including channel change), download here.

Most of the commands are pretty self explanatory. I have put a couple of commands twice with different words (e.g. Halt and Stop) when the menu and spoken command differ.

The 'Action' commands will work in the correct situation, ie, if you try to give the 'goto medic' command to someone who isn't injured, they will salute you.

The tank commands should work properly, although I would like to add the 'Alt+Space' shortcut to allow the gunner to target an enemy without firing but I can't convince shoot to do it.

When you assign people to a team (e.g. blue) to select the whole team you will need to say 'team' then a number of one of the members. This is because there is no way to select the 'team' but by pressing Shift and a corresponding F key it selects them all.

Check the keys I have used for everything to make sure it lines up with what you have. If it doesn't you can either edit it in the profile editor or change you key settings.

I hope that all makes sense, feedback is most welcome. If you have any problems I'll try and answer them for you.

Comment

can't seem to figure out how to open this in Shoot, I clicked on your profile but it doesn't DL'ed all I can do is highlight all of it and copy.
                    PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

Try right-click and 'save-as' instead of clicking it as it will probably open.

Comment

There is no option to save as. also just messing around with the OFP profile that is already stock the shoot doesn't seem to be accurate most the time or lots of times it says too loud or too soft can't seem to find a happy median. What settings have you found to work well and accurate?
                        PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

Sorry, what I meant was, right click the link to the profile that I gave, and then click 'save-as'. The profile is an xml file which web browsers will open by default.

If you have not already done any training for the speech recognition I would suggest trying that (remember you need to download the microsoft voice recognition software). Try doing a couple of those. Otherwise, make sure you mic volume is up and you speak clearly.

Comment

Understood what you meant by saving but even right clickin on the link you posted to the profile still does not allow me to save. Dunno if its just me having this problem or not but is there another possible way I can get the profile from ya?
                            PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

I've put both the profile and the Teamspeak keybinds in a zip file, so you should be able to download it.

Link

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X