Boot Camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Camp

A plea for some instruction & direction.

Gents is there anyone amongst the enlisted ranks of TG who can walk me through the basics of Commanding the AI's & generally using that interface.

I seem to get ignored/wrong responses etc when I try and do this.

Are there any parts I could read up / practice as I seem to keep trying the same things and then supprisingly getting the same end result Doh!

Because of this I tend to ignore that part of ArmA when the ability to have a short squad follow me when transporting or recovering would really be great.

A chilled bottle of Ginger Beer for the first trooper to list the steps of engaging in the Command Interface.

I'll begin
    Load up ArmA get into map screen
    Select a lead position
    Go to one of the huts to request some AI's
    Then what........................ :madsmile:

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Rgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Barnaby out
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Boot Camp

The Single Player campaign gives you a quick run through on the basics. I'd be happy to show you any time I'm on how it works.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Barnaby, you don't have to recruit them at the hut at main you can recruit at any time by pressing 0 0 5 or while your in a firefight and you loose an AI in action you can find some quick cover and recruit another to replace him. I was in your shoes couple days ago and then Gogeta helped out ALOT while it was just him and I on the server. by pressing your tilde or however you spell it, the button right above tab I call it the console key lol but that will allow you to bring up the command window for your AI. I found it very usefull to pair up my medic with a rifleman, an AT with a rifleman and so on so that way the medic and AT have some cover fire while they perform thier action. I put my AI into 2 firing squads which you can do if you click on assign. I just do a Blue team and a Red team, makes it much easier to control them and can have 2 squads basically working together or on seperate objectives. Hopefully I have answered some of your questions but anything more specific please ask.
      PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

Ive been working on my AI commanding skills for a while now...
        There is alot to know.. If you are on the TS at the same time as myself.. we can go off to a side channel and go through most of it..

This also goes for anyone wanting to know the basics of getting the stooges to follow your orders without them ending up in a tree, backyard or the river.

But a few tips...
        You have to micro-manage them, most of the time
        They dont like bridges at all
        They will kill anyone with an enemy officer in thier squad, including yourself or other SM
        Using the "F1-12" keys pulls the individual SM up for commands..
        "F2" is usually my squad medic, and keep him close and on "Hold Fire"
        trying to get your whole squad in one vehicle.. best to place each one at a time, otherwise half of them dont get in(trying to get in same seat I guess).
        While looking at an enemy "anything".. clicking on the "F3"(whichever SM) and clicking on the enemy, that SM will be ordered to attack that enemy.. works great on armor, as the Ai will go off and hunt down the armor ... Unfortunately, if you have a SM highlighted and have a teammate in your scope and accidentally LMB click, the SM will FF kill the teammate :/
        theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
        E Pluribus Unum
        Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
        Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Thanks Gents I'll be trying out that info plus taking you up on the offers to go side channel.

A couple of points
          KhAn.... I didn't find the single person very instructional, maybe now that I have been engaging more a return visit to that might pay off.

Angel/Rookie.... From what you are saying about the "BONE BRAIN BOTS" maybe when I thought I was instructing them wrongly it could have been them reacting wrongly.

Any which ways I'll take up your offers if the uk to usa time lag permits.

Thanks
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

yep.. If you try to get F3 and F4 to go to a point one block south RIGHT in front of you, more than likely one will go around the block, through two backyards , around the next block west, (the other will get lost in one of the backyards) then move north to the point you want them to go. (sometimes all while prone :/ )

Same as when you want them to "mount" a vehicle.. if they are standing in front of a vehilce, they WILL walk the longest route around the vehicle before "mounting"....

Patience, young padawan , patience..
            Think as they were 2 year old kids... Small steps , very small steps :/

EDIT: The single player missions are not good for instruction in any way... in fact, it is very confusing.
            theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
            E Pluribus Unum
            Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
            Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

Really....the tutorial or campaign(I don't recall witch one) has a mission where it tells you how to select A.I., then move them, then put them in formation, how to target, then how to tell them to fire. Yes, that is jsut basic, but it's a good start. I believe it even gives the keys to press. Same with the tank training. Maybe I'm just weird and understood BIS thought processes...lol.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

It's the tutorial. Barnaby, one thing I would suggest is to use shoot, it makes things a lot easier and more logical as you are saying it, for example:

Two - Hold Fire
                "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

Thanks Gents I'll be giving it another go today Saturday if I can hide away from the wife.
                  Yes as I said KhAn a return visit to the tutorial/mission/campagn thingamy may well pay dividends now.
                  Although I was quite sure it didn't tell which key did what, it will be great if it does as that's what I am missing.
                  All I seem to recall was an instruction to do something but not which key did what. I was constantly refering to the hand book text and I gave up in the interest of wanting to engage in the game.

Seem like it's a case of "no pain no game" :row__536:
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Barnaby, The space key brings up the menu to issue commands to your AI's.Also to avoid the "Where are you" nuisance press 0 0 4 to access and drop the lost bone head! When recruiting soldiers in a hot environment I immediatly hit space and select the engage at will option.

Comment

Heres another tip. Pull up your map, then select which troops you want to move(F keys), then click on the map where you want them to go... This is a HUGE help when trying to recover vehicles as well as move them around a border for cover... Personally I love spreading two AA guys out on top of hills to cover repairs or whatever, then when the AA guys fires his rocket, drop him from the squad and recruit another AA, this way you ALWAYS have a guy with a shot to send flyin ;)
                      Dizlor

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X