upgrade advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade advice

Guys...Like most I'm looking for more fps from ArmA. The game runs fairly well in most settings but like most it really slows down when I'm in the trees. I'd greatly like to eliminate this and I've tried innumerable iterations with my settings. I think I've got it about as good as it's going to be.

I'm drawn to the new Core 2 duo intel chips on the market but going that route buying just about all new components.

But--I'm also drawn to the idea of just a new vid card...but a kick butt vid card. I've been looking at either the 8800GTS (see here http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130071)

or the 8800GTX (see here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130072)

The vid cards are expensive...for the money they are charging I can almost build a core 2 duo machine and stick with the vid card I have now.

My instincts tell me go for the best vid card I have now and stick with the skt 939 components. I know this is all quite subjective but I thought I'd throw this out to the community and see what comes back.

I'd especially appreciate any input from those that are running similar rigs with one of the cards I've noted above.

PS...and this is meant for those game players who are strugging on lower settings....I know I'm spoiled but I worked hard for it.

Thanks.

Current rig

Asus A8n5x Motherboard
    2 X 1 GB Corsair XMS @ 2-3-3-6
    EVGA 7900GT KO 256MB
    Athlon 64 X2 4800 (2.4 ghz -not overclocked)
    Antec 550 Trupower PS
    Western Digital 74GB Raptor
    Windows XP
    Logitech G5 Mouse
    Logitecth Multimedia Keyboard
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: upgrade advice

I think most of the tree problems is the shading detail graphics option. If you set shading detail to "low" it might help. I just did that and I'm running a 7900GT, but with a E6400 @ 3.0 Ghz. I'll see how well it runs when I'm in among trees. I still have to try out different settings for performance.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

grunt, there really is no reason to upgrade from the system you have. The only weak point is your video ram. I read a few months ago a threat on the BI forums. Someone asked what video card would give them the best performance, and Marek Spanel (lead guy) said the 7900GTO gives the best performance, even over the 8800's as they are now.

Comment

Grunt, do you have transparency anti-aliasing enabled ?

I run an ATI card, and if I enable the equivalent feature called adaptive anti-aliasing, the game is unplayable around trees.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Grunt I just bought an EVGA 8800GTS 320mb from NewEgg for $279 and its an awesome card. you might want to that way and save $100.

MSI P6N 650i Sli mb
          Intel E6420 C2D
          2x1 gb G-Skillz DDR2 800mhz
          EVGA 8800GTS 320mb

Comment

The video cards out today have issues with pushing ArmA, so unless you go over the top you still may not get what you want unless you adjust the settings.

My second machine had a set of 7900s in them and I was gettin great (60+) FPS, without a Core 2 Duo. But that would require a MB upgrade and a second card for you. But that is a whole lot cheaper than getting a 8800 anything.

BTW, if you decide to go with the 8800 GTX, you may have serious power issues. That card is a hog. I had to get a a 1000W power supply to run a pair of them. The GTS is a bit better on power, but still sucks some juice and you will notice it with a 550w power supply.
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Hey Grunt! Talk to me later. I built this machine and went from much computer drama with BF2 to 99 continual FPS lol and after much Arma specific issues/tweaking and thanks to all the forums around got it working great with Arma. Obviously my FPS is less with Arma(about 40-50) but I think you only need 30 for great gameplay.
              System Specs:
              Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe MoBo
              Socket 775 Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected] 2.40 GHz not overclocked!
              2 GB Corsair Ram
              BFG Nvidia 7950GTOC not overclocked
              Creative Audigy 4 gamer (disabled till next Arma patch!)
              Aluminum Thermaltake case
              320 GB SATA Western Digital HD with 16 mb cache
              Windows XP professional
              My 2 cents is if your positive you've done all the tweaking possible(Nvidia control panel app controled etc.) it's time for needed upgrades! Although as we're seeing with Windows Vista (and as Boudreux posted)you don't need to buy the newest to get the best performance out of your choosen apps!

Comment

Food for thought fellas...thanks for the input...I'll keep collecting info as I won't be ready to pull the trigger for 3 or 4 months anyhow.

thanks again and keep it coming if you have more input.

Geezh...I'd hate to buy one of those expensive vid cards and not get a big improvement...now that'd be a letdown...too bad they didn't ahve a try it befor you buy it program. I guess I could always return it but you are looking at a restock fee from newegg for that.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                  Food for thought fellas...thanks for the input...I'll keep collecting info as I won't be ready to pull the trigger for 3 or 4 months anyhow..............
                  In 3-4 months everything will be outdated and you can replace it all ;)

Hopefully by then we'll have better drivers for the 8800's. I'm guessing that it might be a worthy upgrade then.

Comment

yep.. In 3-4 months the 8800s will be half price.. Like all parts do :/
                    theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
                    E Pluribus Unum
                    Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Comment

After a bit of testing with settings, the biggest hit was antialiasing. Usually, my 7900GT can handle it in other games but ArmA seems to be a beast. I turned off the transparency antialiasing but it's still a big performance hit. By turning it off completely, I get smooth fps in bushes. It's a bit jaggy but worth the performance.

Originally posted by ANGELofDEATH View Post
                      yep.. In 3-4 months the 8800s will be half price.. Like all parts do :/
                      Or it stays roughly the same price but they are harder to find. All you'll see is the next best card on the market. It's one of the reasons using SLI as an ugprade path isn't very sensible. You'd still pay the same amount as if you went SLI in the first place but lose all the time you could actually have SLI.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Grunt, I'm pretty much running the same system as you except for the processor - I'm using an Intel P4 3.2GHz and really don't have any fps issues (though obviously I'm not running at ultra-high, and use low AA). For ArmA, I think it's all about the processor (and memory) much more than its about the GFX card. I'd say go for a Mboard/processor upgrade first. Later on you can invest in a GFX bump.

Comment

If your card has 128 mb of video mem that is def a prob.

Comment

I think its got 256 on board video memory. I can't see how the ubercards of the 8000 series wouldn't perform better, with so much more video ram. I mean 768 or 540 vs 256. Holding off for now though...thanks for the info again.
                            sigpic
                            |TG-1st|Grunt
                            ARMA Admin (retired)
                            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Driver issues and compatibility are the main reason the 8800's don't perform better. They are designed for DX10 games which are beyond Armed Assault or most current games.
                              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...