Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Catalyst v.7.8 Problems!

Hey Guys,
    I had a a few specific problem in windows as well as ArmA. When I upgraded to the new drivers listed, I had issues such as all of my desktop icons dissapeared abd in ArmA I had severe artifacts and crashes back to desktop. I did read a forum where others were having the same issues and others. I spoke with one of the members in TS and asked how he corrected the issue and he told me that he rolled back the driver and it worked for him. I tried it and it worked for me as well. I did keep the 7.8 catalyst though and it still works.Thanks goes out to Insanatrix for helping me and figuring this out thanks man.
    I hope this helps someone in need…

Re: ATI Catalyst v.7.8 Problems!

It's probably a good idea to save a restore point before updating drivers just in case this happens. I usually keep the old set of drivers along with the ones I'm upgrading to. If something bad happens, I already have the old files ready to go back to in case I forgot to create a restore point.

It goes for any PC problem really. If you changed something and everything is messed up, undo the last change.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Restore point?

Bah... disable that windows feature. It often negates your efforts at removing spyware/viruses. It will also speed up performance when gone and free some HD space.
      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
      That noob who crashed the chopper.
      That noob who ran over the mine.
      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Restore points can be quite useful. Sometimes there's a problem that just can't be fixed and you can go back to when it did work. Using it to fix a spyware/virus problem isn't a good idea. It's harder to pinpoint when the intrusion occurred whereas it's easier to remember when a new driver or program was installed.

There's also another problem with the system if you've already allowed spyware to gain access. It should be stopped before it even has a chance of getting on your PC. Smart web surfing and a good AV (I use NOD32) will catch just about everything.

Comment

yeah restore points are horrible in that respect sarc because while it will revert your driver it can cause problems because all the regkeys and such may still persist through the rollback, its always good with drivers to just uninstall all instances of the driver then reinstall or rollback the driver.

Comment

For a driver? I don't think I'd use that either but maybe for a program that was installed. Although, I've never used a restore point before... just never screwed up my system that badly.

Ok, so it's bad to use system restore. However, it's good to undo whatever was last done when something bad happens to your system. It just makes sense to check if the last whatever that was installed caused the problem.

Comment

well if your going to do alot of changes to your system then be sure to remember or write it all down in the exact order you did it. system restore is mainly for people who just surf the web and dont care about core system performance.

Comment

I have used restore points in the past(can't remember if I did with this latest install) but it is enabled on my system in case of a intrusion that spybot or adaware can't fix.I think Fire was thinking it couldn't be the 7.8 drivers causing his probs cause of all the other things going on with his rig. Thankfully Insanatrix knew to put in the earlier driver but keep the 7.8 control center! I'm still wondering about system restores usefullness cause if I can get away with it disabled I will. Any other comments? Switch how much of a speed up are we talking with restore disabled and is it worth it? I think the last time I used it was before this latest install cause WarRock beta , Graw or Il Stormovik somehow messed my BF2 up and I restored to fix it.

Comment

I don't think disabling system restore will speed up games but normal desktop usage should be faster. Whenever you install a program or do something major, Windows will make a restore point. That can cause a slowdown but normal gaming wouldn't trigger a restore point.

Comment

You've all misunderstood me. Restore points are bad for virus/spyware not because you're supposed to roll back if you get a virus. They're bad because viruses and spyware can be saved in your restore points out of the reach of your AV programs and you can reintroduce them after you think you've cleaned your system.
                    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                    That noob who crashed the chopper.
                    That noob who ran over the mine.
                    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X