test of patience?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test of patience?

I bought the downloadable version of ArmA. I took 5 hours to DL the file, it's pretty big, I can live with that.

But when came the time to instal... the exe wouldn't start up, so after 2 reboot, turning off my antivirus and other stuff I gave up and tried to re-download the file thinking it was corrupt. While I was downloading, I tought i could run the exe as admin. When I did that nothing happened, so I left to do other stuff in the house (I'm painting eewwww). When I came back about 20 minutes later, Vista was asking permission to run it. BY ALL MEANS PLEASE!! So I click yes and nothing happened! At that point I was starting to get pissed off! SO, I ran it again as admin and waited untill the message came up, I took about 10 minutes. I hit yes and it started installing.

Am I the only one with that problem? I had a similar problem with BF2 1.41 patch but I only had to wait 5 minutes without running it as admin.

Re: test of patience?

Where did you buy it from? I got the DL version from Atari.com and have never had a problem installing it.

Also, if you're running Vista...you're gonna need some patience. There may be some other problems you encounter. But I'll leave it up to the more tech-minded people around here to get you through that. ;)
    | | |

Comment

It's possible that it's doing the unpacking first without telling you. That takes quite a long time. However, you'll definitely hear the hard drive spinning, because it's just unloading it into a temporary folder (C:\Temp, specifically).

If it's actually not doing anything, try making your computer think it's Windows XP, which has no problems with the game.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

The exact same thing happned to me...it just vista making sure that the file isnt going take over the computer and start the end of the world...but there is a feature you can turn of that will stop all that happening so vista wont check it anymore...just cant remember what it called o.O

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Are you talking about windows defender?

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
            The exact same thing happned to me...it just vista making sure that the file isnt going take over the computer and start the end of the world...but there is a feature you can turn of that will stop all that happening so vista wont check it anymore...just cant remember what it called o.O
            I think you are talking about the User Account Control (UAC).

This seems to be a decent article about what it is (so you can decide for yourself whether you need it) and how to disable it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2...20/763275.aspx

Unfortunately, it does screw with a lot of games (note that ArmA does not officially support Vista at all), so as Adept pointed out disable it and see if that works.

HTH, and welcome to the fold

Comment

See if you bought the CD version.......... this wouldnt happen

Comment

I bought ArmA the first time from Sprocket games and then had to reinstall, they would'nt let you re DL the game and the Copy I had on backup got corupted. Now I have the CD, so unless my disc get's screwed... As for Vista, I was initially having issues with the UAC, and whatnot, but after shutting it off, I've been able to run it on Vista No problem. Also, and I think this is mainly just me, I don't have the 4gig RAM issue, that others with Vista have been having. Don't know if it's the Hardware I own that could be compadible.
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X