• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Mobo Question

I have this mobo and am looking to put in another video card for SLI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121048

Does it support that?

Re: Quick Mobo Question

I don't believe intel chipsets support sli. sorry.

Comment

So is that the final conclusion? Everyone else agree it won't work?

Comment

The Mobo will normal say if it can support SLi or not

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Definitely a no go, as Adept said, every SLI capable mobo I have seen has had SLI somewhere in the model name and/or printed on the board. You can also see from the overhead picture in the mobo you linked to that the PCI-E x16 slots are way to close to each other for multiple GPU's. Sorry!
          LoyalGuard

Comment

Well this is indeed a bummer. I think I'm gonna pick up a new SLI mobo then.

I have a 7900GT video card and my buddy is selling me his old 7900GT for $100. I figure $100 for a new SLI mobo....

Expecting a solid performance upgrade for only $200.

2 7900GTs running in SLI

Comment

my 2 cents:
              Not the way to go at all ! Any 7xxx series video card in SLI will be outperformed by any single 8800GT.
              If you sell your card for $100 and add the $100 for the card you consider to buy, you can get a nice 8800GT.
              Read a bit in the overclocking forums around.
              You will find all the info you need.

P.S. another issue will get to you down the road as the 7900 is a DX-9 card, everything regarding DX-10 won't work.

Comment

DX10 so far is a scam. The 7900 is a good card and outperforms the 8600, especially if you have two of them. If you want to spend $250, you can get an 8800GT, but that's quite a leap.
                The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I read MaximumPC fairly religiously as well as listen to their podcast and they often repeat it is much better to invest more money in a single better GPU then two lesser SLI/Crossfire cards.
                  LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                    DX10 so far is a scam. The 7900 is a good card and outperforms the 8600, especially if you have two of them. If you want to spend $250, you can get an 8800GT, but that's quite a leap.
                    Hmm, not true ! All the new games are coming in DX10 these days.
                    Since the new 9600 are out what will outperform any 79xx in SLI as well, the prices have gone down quit a bit.

For under $200 you'll get a new generation video card and don't have to worry for awhile. Plus the money he has to spend on a new motherboard capable of SLI. Another 70 - 100 bucks on top of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130318

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150277

Comment

I'm with Iceman on this.
                      The 7900s are weak, even in sli, compared to the 8800GT or even better the new 8800GTS 512mb version (not 640 mb ones).
                      And you could sell your 7900 on ebay and would come out even cheaper.

If you really want to continue with the SLI route, make sure to get something from the 700 Nvidia chipset, like a 780i or 750i, just too many people with problems with the 680i.
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...DIA+nForce+700
                      But you are going to spend more than $100 on a mb.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Wait, has your friend already sold you the card, or is it still tentative?
                        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                          Wait, has your friend already sold you the card, or is it still tentative?
                          He hasn't sold it to me yet. But he's got it for when I want it.

I figured for $200 I could do a pretty solid little upgrade. I'm laid off from work right now so I can't go out and pickup an 8800GT. Normally we wouldn't be having this discussion but I'm looking for solid solutions on the cheap until my financial situation improves.

I'm not looking for crazy improvements here, I'm looking for the best option in the $150-200 price range.

Comment

It sounds like you need to be saving your money man.
                            Buying a new motherboard and a used GPU sounds like the crazy route.
                            I did some looking at the 9600 for you, and you should read these

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276827

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=17439

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...ic_id=26298043

There are more articles out there, but that should convince you.
                            If you are going to spend any money, depending on what CPU and memory you are using as well, the 8800GT is the best option for a bit under $200, or the 9600GT for under $150.
                            If you really wern't sure, I would go with the 9600GT from like EVGA, since they have the trade up program. That way, if you get a new job within 3 months, you could upgrade to something else, and just pay the difference. So if you wanted to get like a 8800GT, would probably just have to pay about another $50.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Wow. That seems to be quite the card for a great price! Thanks a lot, Bamboo. This is very helpful

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X