Is my pc a piece of junk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my pc a piece of junk?

I'am asking this because my pc seems to dont have the necessary to run ArmA properly.
    My PC is an:
    AMD Athlon 64 4600 X2 Dual 2.4GHz x2
    2GB RAM 667MHz Kingston
    XFX 8600GT 512MB
    SATA 250GB
    Windows XP

I suppose my pc is enough to run the ArmA properly but it doesn't. With the video options in medium I had 20-30fps max (1024x768 resolution).

I'll be grateful if any of you guys can solve my problem.

Cya!

Re: Is my pc a piece of junk?

The 8600GT isn't a great card; if you moved that up to an 8800GT you'd probably get better performance.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

9600GT has me around 40fps with everything on high and that card was just under $200

I'm also on an Core2Duo with 6gig RAM (unfortunately windows xp only sees 3.5 of them)

Get the 9800GT

Comment

yeah.. well, here in Argentina isn't easy like that, i cannot afford that.
        reading other forums i noticed that ArmA ver. may be the problem in my low FPS, they say that older ver. aren't optimized. is that true?

Comment

I currently have 8600 gt installed in my system and it runs my games fine (well ok not maxed out options) but still, fine. I couldn't afford an 8800 gt cuz there's a HUGE price gap between 8600 and 8800

Comment

The huge price gap is a huge performance gap. The 8800GT outperforms the 9600GT.

Are you not running version 1.14 of ArmA? I guess the only other solution is to turn your graphics quality down.
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

my specs:

AMD athlon 64 x2 Dual core 4200+ 2.21 GHz
              2 GB ram
              nvidia geforce 8600 GT

we have almost the same system (yours is just a bit faster in fact) and it runs smooth at butter for me :D

my settings:
              res: 1024x768x32
              75 hz refresh rate (make sure your monitor refresh rate, and game refresh rate are the same)
              quality: high
              view distance: 2000m (i start to get some render lag if this is up too high)

i reccomend a hard disk de-frag (someone posted on another topic that this greatly increased his performance), and shutting down all un-nescissary back ground tasks. if you dont know what i mean then do this:

ctrl+alt+del
              processes tab then organize by user name. you can then highlight and hit "end process" for most of the things under your user name (owner is default i think). dont end explorer.exe or taskmgr.exe. or anything under local service, system, or network service.

i can usually leave most tasks running, but i like to close qttask.exe (quick time) and a couple others. if you dont know what a task is, you can type its name (including the ".exe") into google and get an answer to weather it needs to be running or not. i reccomend turning off one or two at a time, and see if performance increases.

dont worry if you shut down something that needs to run, the worst thing that will happen is you will get an error message and your comp will shut dow. when you re-start, everything you shut down will start up again.

hope this helps :D
              Last edited by Redd_Wiggler; 05-23-2008, 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

i think that i found the problem, ArmA's version. i have the 1.08 and its not fully optimized.. i cannot download the 1.14 patch because i have a copy of the game.

thanks anyway! :)

Comment

Then a solution to your problem would be to buy the game ;)
                  Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd_Wiggler View Post
                    my specs:

AMD athlon 64 x2 Dual core 4200+ 2.21 GHz
                    2 GB ram
                    nvidia geforce 8600 GT

we have almost the same system (yours is just a bit faster in fact) and it runs smooth at butter for me :D

my settings:
                    res: 1024x768x32
                    75 hz refresh rate (make sure your monitor refresh rate, and game refresh rate are the same)
                    quality: high
                    view distance: 2000m (i start to get some render lag if this is up too high)

i reccomend a hard disk de-frag (someone posted on another topic that this greatly increased his performance), and shutting down all un-nescissary back ground tasks. if you dont know what i mean then do this:

ctrl+alt+del
                    processes tab then organize by user name. you can then highlight and hit "end process" for most of the things under your user name (owner is default i think). dont end explorer.exe or taskmgr.exe. or anything under local service, system, or network service.

i can usually leave most tasks running, but i like to close qttask.exe (quick time) and a couple others. if you dont know what a task is, you can type its name (including the ".exe") into google and get an answer to weather it needs to be running or not. i reccomend turning off one or two at a time, and see if performance increases.

dont worry if you shut down something that needs to run, the worst thing that will happen is you will get an error message and your comp will shut dow. when you re-start, everything you shut down will start up again.

hope this helps :D
                    It might not have solved Karma's problem but it certainly helped me.

Many thanks

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo

Comment

Originally posted by KarmaPolice View Post
                      i think that i found the problem, ArmA's version. i have the 1.08 and its not fully optimized.
                      Download and install the low plants mod

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bi...T;f=70;t=69537

It has done wonders for people on lower end machines.

Comment

I have an amd 4200 dual core 2.2ghz 2gb of ram and a 8800gts( unfortunatley when i bought it the gt wasnt out and i didnt know there was going to be a gt) i run my game with everything on normal my view distance is somewhere between 4000 and 7000 and my res is 1920x1200 and my game gets up to 30 or 40 fps usally and that was with 1.08 now i get a constant 40 fps with 1.14. another quick solution to your low fps is getting the latest nvida firmware/drivers they boost performance
                        |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                        |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                          It might not have solved Karma's problem but it certainly helped me.

Many thanks

:D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...