Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about adding mods to Armed Assault.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about adding mods to Armed Assault.

The only one I have right now a sound mod that I think is what is called a replacement mod (HiFi Sounds mod).

I’ve been reading about installing mods and finding it quit confusing.

I notice that one TG server plays without any mods , some mods specify that to work online both the client and server must be running it , some are “replacement” mods (which I assume replace the original AA files and are loaded automatically ) etc.

I’m wondering if one should set up a series of shortcuts with different command line options to load the various mods?

What are some good mods to include (or required) to play online?

Txs
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Question about adding mods to Armed Assault.

No mods are required to play on most servers, although you will find communities that do require you to run certain mods to play on their servers (i.e. 6th sense). Most mods people run do little things to make the game better, like enhance sounds, visuals, and gameplay elements (i.e. player accuracy, stamina, etc.) For instance, ArmAEffects, changes how smoke, fire, rain, bullet impacts, etc look in game. In this case, this is all done on your local machine, and only you can see the effects.

Server side mods try to enhance things like ai behavoir and enforce certain gameplay elements across all clients. Most often than not, these do not require both the server and/or the client to run for them to work (although this could be enforced by the server admin if they choose). For instance addons that modify AI behavoir on the other hand are a little different (i.e. TrueGameplay). If a client runs TrueGamePlay, only the AI that are under the direct command of the player are affected by the addon. For AI controlled by the server to be similarly affected, the addon must be running on the server as well.

Other addons (such as vehicles, new weapons), if included in a mission that is hosted on server, will require the client to run the same mod. However, if you as a client run the mod and join a server that isn't using that particular addon, no harm done.

All mods are loaded the same way as you load your sound mod, by modifying the command line. I personally have 5 different ArmA shortcuts depending on what servers I'm playing on and for mission editing.

Another great tool for managing addons/mods is Kegetys' ArmA launcher, as it allows a fairly easy way to start ArmA with any combination of mods enabled. It's a little wonky to set up your mods, but once it's done it's very handy (http://www.kegetys.net/arma/).

Installing mods is relatively straight forward. Most come in a compressed format, like a zip file. Once you unpack the file, simply move the folder into your ArmA installation directory and add to your shortcut. Many mods use a "@" in front of the mod name but it's not required. Just make sure that the name of the mod in your game shortcut is identical to the folder name. For instance, if my shortcut is:

"D:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA\arma.exe" -nosplash [email protected]_Tracers;@shacktac;@FDF_Sounds

I will have each addons in folders @SIX_Tracers, @shacktac, @FDF_Sounds in the install directory "D:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA\"

Some addons just come as a pbo. I usually make a @Misc folder to dump these addons into, so when I add @Misc to my shortcut, it will load whatever addons I copied into there.

Some mods will also require you to move specific files into "D:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA\dta" depending on how they are setup. There should always be full instructions in a README. If there isn't proper instructions on how to install the mod, it's probably not worth installing to begin with.

Anyways, sorry for the ramblomatic post, it still too early. Hope that clears some things up.

Comment

Re: Question about adding mods to Armed Assault.

Yes it did. Explained some things I was a little hazy about and cleared up a ;ot of other points as well.

Thanks.
      [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X