Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demo problems....HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Demo problems....HELP

    Well, I decided after all this time to download and try the demo AGAIN. I downloaded the game once before but the computer I did that on was to slow to play decently so I just uninstalled. Now I have a better computer and downloaded the demo to get some sort of idea of how the game is. I started the gmae up but when it gets to the main menu(I guess) I can not see anything except for blocks, I guessed how to close out of the game by hitting the last block, thne started earching around to get some help, haven't really found anything that addresses my issue and was hoping someone could help me here.

    My specs are:
    E8400
    4Gb of RAM
    EVGA 8800GT
    Vista Ultimate 64 bit

    Was thinking it is Vista 64 bit that is causing my problems but not positive.

  • #2
    Re: Demo problems....HELP

    Plagiarized this from another forum but at least it's someplace to start.

    Here's the forum post

    My advice:
    1. Check for any graphics driver updates and make sure you've got the latest DirectX (if you're running vista any version of DX10 should be sufficient)
    2. If you've got it on, turn off Vista's User Account Control. It's nothing but trouble and I've known it to cause similar problems to the ones your experiencing.
    Using Google I found you;re not the only one with a problem running ArmedA with Vista.
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

    You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Demo problems....HELP

      Originally posted by msdz View Post
      Well, I decided after all this time to download and try the demo AGAIN. I downloaded the game once before but the computer I did that on was to slow to play decently so I just uninstalled. Now I have a better computer and downloaded the demo to get some sort of idea of how the game is. I started the gmae up but when it gets to the main menu(I guess) I can not see anything except for blocks, I guessed how to close out of the game by hitting the last block, thne started earching around to get some help, haven't really found anything that addresses my issue and was hoping someone could help me here.

      My specs are:
      E8400
      4Gb of RAM
      EVGA 8800GT
      Vista Ultimate 64 bit

      Was thinking it is Vista 64 bit that is causing my problems but not positive.
      ArmA did have trouble with Vista & 4 GB RAM, but this was completely fixed with patch 1.14.

      It's possible they haven't updated the demo with the fixes, hence the trouble.

      You can temporarily disable RAM as follows:

      Type msconfig into the start/search box. On the 'Boot' tab, select
      'Advanced Options' and check 'Maximum memory'. Set it to 2GB.
      Restart computer and see how it goes. If they haven't made this fix, it's probably going to run like crap, but if you're just trying to get an idea about gameplay, then no troubles. If you're trying to gauge possible performance, it's a waste of time.

      Use the same instructions to reverse the change later.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Demo problems....HELP

        I'll try to set the memory to 3Gb. I read that will help on another site as well. As long as it is anything besides the 4Gb with Vista. I also read that it could just be Vista 64 bit that is causing the problem, Vista 32 bit usually has no problems with the 4GB of RAM...from what I read. I am also downloading another copy of the demo right now, figured it may have been corrupted or something. Getting this one from a different site.

        Was going to download a torrent of the full game and patch it up to the latest patch to see if that was going to work. ONLY TO TRY IT OUT and see if the full game patched up would work though. If it did then I was goingt o go and buy it. I may just have to wait for ArmA 2 to come out to play, lol.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Demo problems....HELP

          Yeah, it was only with Vista 64-bit with 4GB of RAM, but that's been addressed.

          I currently run Vista 64-Business/4 GB RAM ArmA with absolutely no problems.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Demo problems....HELP

            Man, you can buy the game for $3.99 on ebay, new sealed in box and everything.
            And the 1.14 patch fixed about every major problem. Runs fine now on Vista, and Vista 64 even got it's own article because they figured out a completly new way of working things.

            LINKS

            * *


            Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

            -Carlos A. Urbizo-

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Demo problems....HELP

              Well, I kinda don't care for it. I did get the demo working after doing the trick above to boot with 3Gb of RAM. A little to complicated for me, I wondered around aimlessly in the demos multiplayer capture the island or whatever it is called. that map is huge.
              I may go ahead and buy it anyways if it is as cheap as you said Bamboo, I am sure I will learn to understand the game better. Does the wwind effect the helicopters?? I was all over the place fighting to keep the thing turned in the direction I needed to go. In the tutorial I had no problems flying but online I had a heck of a time. I was thinking it must have been wind effect on the helicopter. Also, is there bullet drop and such on this game and wind effect the bullets?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Demo problems....HELP

                Originally posted by msdz View Post
                Well, I kinda don't care for it. I did get the demo working after doing the trick above to boot with 3Gb of RAM. A little to complicated for me, I wondered around aimlessly in the demos multiplayer capture the island or whatever it is called. that map is huge.
                Yeah, game is much better online, when playing good missions. Unfortunately, I doubt there are any good demo servers out there.

                I may go ahead and buy it anyways if it is as cheap as you said Bamboo, I am sure I will learn to understand the game better. Does the wwind effect the helicopters?? I was all over the place fighting to keep the thing turned in the direction I needed to go. In the tutorial I had no problems flying but online I had a heck of a time. I was thinking it must have been wind effect on the helicopter.
                Yes, I believe wind does (at least there are mods that add it) although keep in mind ArmA isn't a flight sim, so if you're looking for that sort of detail you'll be disappointed.

                BTW, you can buy the game off steam if you are so inclined.

                Also, is there bullet drop and such on this game and wind effect the bullets?
                Yes there is a ballistics model in game (again, not entirely sure about wind. I never use a sniper rifle in the game). There are also addons that introduce attempt to replicate real ballistic models.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Demo problems....HELP

                  No, I am not looking for any sim for flying. Just wanted to know if that was what was most likely causing my helicopter to fly differently than in the tutorial. Also, is the game played a lot by a lot of people or is it already starting to die? I already ordered it off Ebay, figured it wasn't to much money and to try it anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Demo problems....HELP

                    Last night or the night before we had 15 people on, and that is on the passworded server. Last couple of weeks I have seen more than 20 on the co-op server.

                    Not a lot compared to PR, but in ARMA that can be a lot for a mission. Getting organized with 20 people, so they don't all noob run in is pretty hard/realistic.

                    LINKS

                    * *


                    Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

                    -Carlos A. Urbizo-

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Demo problems....HELP

                      Well, I got the full version today. I have already installed it and downloading the patches as I am typing this. So maybe I will playing shortly with no problems, hope I can pick up on it quickly!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Demo problems....HELP

                        Look for me tonight... I'd be glad to help you when you need it.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Demo problems....HELP

                          Well, I did get on for a while. I am so lost with the game itself as in I have no clue what to do. Most servers I joined(cause TG was empty) were co-op or whatever where you try to destroy radio towers and clean the towns out. After a couple of hourrs on one server I thought I was getting the hang of it but not quite sure. I do like the game or at least the way the game plays but I need to learn what to do better. I felt so noobish compared to any other game I have ever played...even PR was not this difficult to learn.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Demo problems....HELP

                            Originally posted by msdz View Post
                            Well, I did get on for a while. I am so lost with the game itself as in I have no clue what to do. Most servers I joined(cause TG was empty) were co-op or whatever where you try to destroy radio towers and clean the towns out. After a couple of hourrs on one server I thought I was getting the hang of it but not quite sure. I do like the game or at least the way the game plays but I need to learn what to do better. I felt so noobish compared to any other game I have ever played...even PR was not this difficult to learn.
                            Hang in there. It definitely takes a good time investment to feel comfortable, but worth it in the end.

                            It's not a great pubbie game where you can just jump on at the spur of the moment and expect great results. At TG, and most places worth playing, the player base doesn't have a persistent presence on the server, so you have to pick and choose when to play, and make a pretty solid time commitment to stick it out on the server for awhile. Watch gametracker.com for when people are on the TG server, then join up and ask for help. Much easier and rewarding than trying to learn the game solo.

                            Cheers,

                            Comment

                            Connect

                            Collapse

                            TeamSpeak 3 Server

                            Collapse

                            Advertisement

                            Collapse

                            Twitter Feed

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X