Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about online playing and routing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about online playing and routing.

I have a question. Which game requires more bandwidth to play (or is bandwidth sensitive)..Armed Assault or Project Reality?

The reason I ask is that whenever I try to play Project Reality I tend to get a fair bit of "rubber banding" sometimes. So much that quit often it makes the game unplayable.

The few times I've taken Armed Assault online I haven't noticed this effect at all. Sometimes some lag but that's to be expected I suppose.

I did a trace route to the TG PR server (16 hops) and hop #14 is always unresponsive with 100% packet loss.Comes right after this server:
    OrgName: Savvis
    OrgID: SAVVI-3
    Address: 3300 Regency Parkway
    City: Cary
    StateProv: NC
    PostalCode: 27511
    (BTW - I do get the rubber banding on other servers as well).

A trace route to the ArmedA server only has 12 hops with no unresponsive servers and decent pings.

If it makes any difference I am on wireless High Speed with Bell Canada as the provider (through a local ISP) and use a wireless router primarily for the convenience of not having to crawl around in the attic running CAT cables.

As a side note , I've heard of system where you're house power lines are used rather than wireless. Anyone know if this is an improvement?

Txs
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Question about online playing and routing.

Project Reality takes up way more bandwith than ArmA
    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
      Project Reality takes up way more bandwith than ArmA
      Wonder if ArmedA2 is going to compete with PRM for band width or is PRM's problem simply poor coding by EA/DICE.
      [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

The BF2 engine isn't necessarily built to deal with some of the things that PR throws at it, like larger map sizes and more complex client-to-server model calculating.

The ArmA engine, on the other hand, excels at large maps with many things going on at once (usually at the price of smooth movement, etc).

Comment

Actually, something isn't right with the trace route. The server is located in Fairfax County, VA (about 20 mins. from my old apt.). It isn't in Cary, NC. Not sure why it's turning that up.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post

As a side note , I've heard of system where you're house power lines are used rather than wireless. Anyone know if this is an improvement?

Txs
            Here's one review.

Not bad if you don't want to run wires. I guess the performance depends a lot on your house wiring (or if your neighbor owns an arc welder :D)

Oh, can you post the complete traceroute (blank out whatever you don't want to show) ? Some ISPs have real crappy peering: that might explain the higher number of hops.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

1. From what I understand of traceroutes, you will see some crazy stuff going on. Many times due to the way internet traffic is routed you will see the traffic going in a direction that doesn't make sense but eventually it gets there.
              2. I think pr uses alot of bandwidth because the ea/dice client/server networking code transfers alot of unnecessary information. However, I could be totally wrong. I believe this is done to lessen the cpu load on the servers but opens up other problems.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X