Video lag or internet lag?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video lag or internet lag?

Ok, I do a lot of sniping in game and most of my targets are way out there. Usually they are to far for a typical M24 shot so I use the M107 a lot. I notice the AI soldiers jerking around a lot after certain distances when they are moving, any movement from crawling to running. I will give my system specs so you know what I am playing with. I have an E8400 OC'ed to 3.6Ghz, 4Gb of 800Mhz RAM, 8800GT OC'ed to 683(I think), and also just for the heck of it I have also a 36Gb Raptor(OS ONLY) and a 74GB Raptor(GAMES ONLY).
    My internet connection speed is 256Kb up and 6Mb down and usually I have about a 70-80 ping on TG servers, use to be higher when I had 768kb up and 3Mb down DSL and was constantly losing connection. I even considered on going with the cable option of 768Kb up and 12Mb down to see if there was any difference in gameplay.
    Is there any way I can get some control of this lag? I have to wait for an enemy to come to a complete stop and hope they are really stopped before I can shoot. Only on rare cases I have been able to judge the lag and actually hit a moving targets. On some other servers this lag does not seem as bad, one server I was actually playing on would not allow any of the human players recruit any AI soldiers, they claim this is where the lag comes from and they also kicked/banned people for doing any side missions that might activate another city(EVO), claims also that activating the other cities causes the AI to lag the game.

Re: Video lag or internet lag?

This isn't lag so much as engine optimization for the kind of scale ArmA bears witness to. In the simplest terms possible, ArmA prioritizes targets based on their proximity and your direct access to that target: an enemy 5 feet in front of you will be prioritized higher than, say, a lone tango at a klick out from your position.

The way ArmA handles this prioritizing is by sending "packets" of information at different intervals to the player (via the server). While the server might update a close tango's position 30 times every second, it might update another tango further away once a second. The "lag" you see is your computer filling in the "gaps" left by the space between packets sent to you via the server: your client can only make an educated guess as to where the tango is headed, etc., and when you see "lag" it is the server sending another packet of data to update your client on the tango's position.

In very short terms, this is not a problem with your PC, nor your internet connection, and is simply a limitation of the engine ArmA was built on. It is not something you can fix.

Comment

While annoying it really just enforces the basic sniping rule. You should only be engaging targets of opportunity. If a target is moving I find it rather hard to correctly guess the lead required at 1.5km, if they stop however its a rather easy shot to make. Really as a sniper unless you are acting directly to cover friendlies or pin down an enemy squad you should not be firing at moving targets as far as I know.

Comment

Actually, it's not too hard to use GJM to set up wind distances as well, although it won't be recorded automatically. It takes some simple math, but setting up a second rangecard for each weapon entitled "XXX_Wind", and then inputting your own ranges, works well enough. I'm banal enough that I have 4 different range cards for each weapon. For instance: "M24", "M24_Wind_Crawling", "M24_Wind_Walking", "M24_Wind_Running", each with different ranges to compensate. It helps if you have an accurate stopwatch to calculate bullet flight time as well.

Anyways, I agree with Para for the most part. If it's far enough out that it's warping, don't shoot until he's still.

Comment

Originally posted by sc[ + ]pe View Post
          actually, it's not too hard to use gjm to set up wind distances as well, although it won't be recorded automatically. It takes some simple math, but setting up a second rangecard for each weapon entitled "xxx_wind", and then inputting your own ranges, works well enough. I'm banal enough that i have 4 different range cards for each weapon. For instance: "m24", "m24_wind_crawling", "m24_wind_walking", "m24_wind_running", each with different ranges to compensate. It helps if you have an accurate stopwatch to calculate bullet flight time as well.

Anyways, i agree with para for the most part. If it's far enough out that it's warping, don't shoot until he's still.
          oh my god!!!!

:D
          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

And HAVE I MENTIONED MY EXQUISITE COLLECTION OF Q-TIPS?

Comment

I am starting to lean towards video card issues though. I recently started with "tearing" or whatever it is called. In other words I have weird looking shapes and objects appear on my screen sometimes. I haven't had them since I uninstalled and then reinstalled the latest beta drivers for my 8800GT for Vista 64, knock on wood.
              If a person is running at about 300M out I can usually take them out with no problems though, it is at ranges past that I get the enemy break dancing and time warping across the screen.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X