Server #2 Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server #2 Problem

Just wanted to put it out there that there is definintely something wrong with server#2 in regards to the Avgani and Afghan Village maps. For some reason, if you run the same mission more than once for any Avgani or Afghan Village map, it will go to the debriefing screen and end the mission as soon as it starts. It may work the first time, however, something usually goes wrong. For example, in my mission, Operation Black Falcon, the alarm trigger goes off at mission start, which should not happen. Also, last night, we played Blackdog's mission, Operation Condor, and for some reason we started on the ground, when we should have started inside a flying chopper. Although Operation Condor does not go to the debriefing and ends the mission at the beginning, the markers do disappear after running the mission more than once. Other missions, such as the Black Hawk Down mission from Avgani, and Rake from Afghan Village are the other mission ive tested that did the debriefing and mission end bug. These are all misions that has worked perfectly every time in the past.

Re: Server #2 Problem

if you run the same mission more than once
    Was this run straight after it ended? ie: Mission ends, admin hits continue, you DO NOT use a #missions or #restart command, then play?

I recall that MOST missions went FUBAR if you didn't select them fresh from the #missions command. I believe it's something like, the mission isn't ended on the server properly, so when you play it again, all the conditions that ended the mission the previous round, will still be there, and the mission will end again. Something like that at least ...

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
      Was this run straight after it ended? ie: Mission ends, admin hits continue, you DO NOT use a #missions or #restart command, then play?

I recall that MOST missions went FUBAR if you didn't select them fresh from the #missions command. I believe it's something like, the mission isn't ended on the server properly, so when you play it again, all the conditions that ended the mission the previous round, will still be there, and the mission will end again. Something like that at least ...
      Negative, this was when after [#missions] as well as [#restart] was intiated, and the same mission chosen from the list, after running the mission the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by aceking View Post
        Negative, this was when after [#missions] as well as [#restart] was intiated, and the same mission chosen from the list, after running the mission the first time.
        Just to be sure Ace King, you didn't use the #restart or the #reassign command, when that happened?

If you didn't, I have no clue of what's happening.
        sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
          Just to be sure Ace King, you didn't use the #restart or the #reassign command, when that happened?

If you didn't, I have no clue of what's happening.
          I ran the missions with [#missions] and choosing it from the list on the first time. It ran okay with minor problems. Then I stopped the mission, and the did [#missions] again and chose the same mission. Then the debriefing bug just shows up, even after repeating the [#missions] again and running the same mission. I also tried [#restart] after the debriefing bug shows up, but it does the same thing. Blackdog was admin last night, and we were encountering the same problem.

Comment

Yep.....this is an issue it seems. I can confirm that it is when you do a complete refresh #missions load and often when at the briefing screen the objects on the map suddenly disappear and when you hit go, you either go straight to debriefing screen or some actually get into game then go to debriefing screen.

I have a gut feeling this relates to mission size. Unfortunately as we all know, MP ArmA is an absolute resources whore! If you have 30 odd players and for example Ace King's mission is over 2.5MB is size......I just dont think the server likes this amount of data being downloaded by 30 clients.

To prove this theory I am going to build a VERY simply mission for the afghan village and we will see how it does?

I suspect that all mission makers should make their missions less than 1000kb in order to ensure smooth gameplay.

I have to say, I have also noticeda great deal more stability in the missions I have created recently using the BAS-F framework.

Music is great and I have enjoyed using music effects to add to the atmosphere, but it takes take a huge chunk of mission start resources.

Try scaling Black Falcon right back and lets see how it does on the test server.

BD1
            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
              Yep.....this is an issue it seems. I can confirm that it is when you do a complete refresh #missions load and often when at the briefing screen the objects on the map suddenly disappear and when you hit go, you either go straight to debriefing screen or some actually get into game then go to debriefing screen.

I have a gut feeling this relates to mission size. Unfortunately as we all know, MP ArmA is an absolute resources whore! If you have 30 odd players and for example Ace King's mission is over 2.5MB is size......I just dont think the server likes this amount of data being downloaded by 30 clients.

To prove this theory I am going to build a VERY simply mission for the afghan village and we will see how it does?

I suspect that all mission makers should make their missions less than 1000kb in order to ensure smooth gameplay.

I have to say, I have also noticeda great deal more stability in the missions I have created recently using the BAS-F framework.

Music is great and I have enjoyed using music effects to add to the atmosphere, but it takes take a huge chunk of mission start resources.

Try scaling Black Falcon right back and lets see how it does on the test server.

BD1
              Just doesn't make sense though. That same Operation Black Falcon mission file ran perfectly, even after running it more than once, about 2 days ago. And also, we've all played Operation Condor, the Black Hawk Down mission, and the Rake mission with no problems in the past as well. Then all of a sudden, this problem just kinda shows up out of nowhere.

Comment

i played and restarted my new mission on avgani about 3 times last night (AU time) with about 4 of us.

Comment

This type of behavior sounds like screwy software problems which occur when a program or PC has been running too long. In general, with current PCs and software, the longer they are on, the more they begin to acculimate error margins in their calculations. Maybe we should consider having some daily "down time" for the server. It would provide a period of time for maintainence too.
                  Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
                    This type of behavior sounds like screwy software problems which occur when a program or PC has been running too long. In general, with current PCs and software, the longer they are on, the more they begin to acculimate error margins in their calculations. Maybe we should consider having some daily "down time" for the server. It would provide a period of time for maintainence too.
                    Agreed I think this may be a good idea.

BD1
                    BlackDog1

Comment

The hamsters are getting old and tired ;)
                      A day of battle is a day harvest for the devil

Comment

Originally posted by Fansadox View Post
                        The hamsters are getting old and tired ;)
                        lol. freakin hamsters, "RUN! *kuchssshhh*, RUN I say! can't you see their waiting for the Avgani mission! *kuchssshhh*"

Comment

It is not the server, it has been rebooted daily. It is more a issue with the new Beta Patch I believe. The server resources are are not even closed to being over taxed, so it leads to a software issue.

I will see what I can find out. But it only happens when you replay the same mission twice in a row. To avoid that or work around it, simply go back to the mission screen and pick the mission again. Going straight to reassign or restart will produce the undesirable effects you are talking about.
                          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                            simply go back to the mission screen and pick the mission again. Going straight to reassign or restart will produce the undesirable effects you are talking about.
                            No dice mate! I have done this on regular occasion and it didnt have it. Unfortunately, last night we proved there was something in Ace King's Black Falcon Mission that was really scewing with the server. So much so that stable missions thereafter were affected when we tried to play them afterwards.

I then shutdown the server, deleted Black Falcon and tried The Street Sweeper and some other missions again, and perfect no problem. So unfortunately I am convinced that wa a mission issue.

I have said to Ace, that we (Myself, Carver, beta, whoever) will work with him to get a version of Black Falcon running that we will test on the test server to ensure it's stable then we can release it. I hate to see a mission maker not get his mission published after so much work and effort goes in, but equally we cannot load up missions that cause the server to have problems.
                            BlackDog1

Comment

Guys. Possibly NOT a server OR mission issue. I encountered this exact same issue last night on my local dedicated server test. After some quick tests, we found the following:

-When one client hit the "go green" button at the briefing, 4 out of 5 trial tests all map markers disappeared. Every time we launched the mission after this happened, it ended with the instant debrief.

-The exact client who caused this (everyone took turns hitting the "continue button") had the @RTEditor addon loaded. Noone else had that mod loaded at the time. After the client unloaded this addon, the mission was launched successfully 3 or 4 times in a row.

...This leads to clients having the RTE addon as a prime suspect. But I must note that one time when this client still had the RTE addon loaded, the mission did launch successfully. So it's not 100% the cause. If we could get some volunteers we should maybe get one person to load the RTE and run some more tests on someone's dedicated server?

Thanks go to Macolik, AceKing and evilNate (of the 4thIB) for helping me figure it out this much...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X