Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current PC list for Arma

Hello all,

I figure some of us will be spending some of their hard earned cash into building/purchasing a newer or more powerful PC for the ArmA2.

But, first can we get an idea what works and doesn't in the current game.
    Or to rephrase.
    What is your current PC configuration used for Arma and whats the performance like?

Hopefully by gathering our own data here, I'm sure many TG members can benefit from the infos and comments posted by other members.

Lets start with these basics:

A) CPU /X Ghz
    B) GPU /X MB
    C) RAM / X GB
    D) FPS /Low X and Peak X. (In Sahrani facing the city of Paraiso from the airport)
    E) Viewdistance X
    F) Video settings in game (MP only-what really counts)
    1) Resolution
    2) AA/AF
    3) Shader
    4) Processing
    5) Textures (low,mid,high or variation of)
    G) Comments

Mine is:
    A) AMD XP 2700 / 2.1Ghz
    B) Radeon X1600pro AGP/ 512MB
    C) 2GB RAM DDR
    D) 15 low ~ 25 peak. (lower in some missions)
    E) Set at 1200
    F) Normal
    1) 1480 X 760
    2) OFF/OFF
    3) Low
    4) Normal
    5) ALL Lowest

G)Yes, I have an ancient rig and in the process of shopping around to get a semi-decent PC to run the current arma and future proofing it for Arma2.
    Since my GPU is by ATI it does have problems with textures that is not in 2^ format. Which causes crashes. So far this problem is only for ATI users.
    Also by using ATI Tray Tools V1.3.6 it has helped me greatly in running this game somewhat more towards 'bearable-ish' zone.
    Also note that by turning the resolution down a notch it reduced the 'out of memory' error messages and by adding this to the shortcut. -maxmem1023 (for 2GB RAMs)

Your turn...

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Re: Current PC list for Arma

A) CPU / Dual Intel Pentium 2.80GHz
    B) GPU / ATI Radeon HD2400/ 512mb
    C) RAM / 1.5 GB
    D) FPS /25 low peak 35 lower of course in the high AI/player count missions
    E) 1500ish
    F) custom low
    1) 1024x768
    2) OFF/OFF
    3) Very low
    4) low
    5) Very low
    G) My rig runs fairly decent in most missions, of course all the settings are down low, I use to play at 800x600 with some settings up higher, but it seemed like it looked worst and was harder to tell if there was an enemy soldier or a tree in the distance, the higher res with the lower settings kept my FR about the same and in my opinion made things look better.

I Am definatly going to have to do an upgrade for ARMA 2 though :(

Also on a side note, I think i've only crashed three to four times the whole time i've been playing ARMA.

Comment

A) CPU /X Ghz Core 2 Duo E6850 @3.0 Ghz
      B) GPU /X MB XFX 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog @512MB
      C) RAM / X GB OCS @2GB
      D) FPS /Low 36 and Peak 44. (In Sahrani facing the city of Paraiso from the airport)
      E) Viewdistance 6568
      F) Video settings in game (MP only-what really counts)
      1) Resolution 1080X1024(highest monitor supports :( )
      2) AA/AF Low
      3) Shader Normal
      4) Processing Normal
      5) Textures (low,mid,high or variation of) Normal
      G) Comments I have actually UNDER clocked my GPU because it came defective from the facotry with bad Vram I can send it back at any time but have a hard time to pick which 3 weeks I dont want my comp

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

A) Intel Quad q6600, stock is @2.4, but most of the time I run it @3.0
        B) 8800GTS 640mb
        C) 4gig Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR2
        D) FPS don't know low and peak, but usually around 40-50, except when fraps recording
        E) Viewdistance is usually very high set
        F) Video settings in game - Usually maxed out
        1) 1680x1050
        2) AA/AF - don't remember
        3) Shader - maxed
        4) Processing -maxed
        5) Textures - maxed
        G) Can't say exactly my setting because my game rig's motherboard is currently RMA to ASUS for repair, but I usually run with all setting cranked up. That being said, running ACE recently on some random islands, like during the Airport Raid mission, when I try to record with fraps my FPS drops to the teens.

Right now I am try to decide if I should get a new gfx card or hold off a few months and see what is out when ARMA2 is finally released. Both ATI and Nvidia are supposed to be releasing their next gen stuff this summer, so I would really like to hold off.

Also, if anyone is really interested in building a new PC, please don't go store bought. TG has an awesome tech forum here, with lots of good guys that like to help people build the best gaming rig they can for the money. Both Long Bow and myself are very active, and are happy to help. Building your own rig isn't as hard as you think, and if you buy the right parts, the warranties can be even better than if you bought from like Dell or HP. For instance I have a lifetime warranty on my RAM and PSU, and a 3 year warranty on my motherboard. Other parts are the same. Plus, you can build a rig that will spank anything from Dell or other builder for like half the price.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

A) CPU /X Ghz 2.2Ghz Dual core
          B) GPU /X MB GTX260BLACK EDITiON 896MB DDR3 DUAL BLACK
          C) RAM / X GB 4gb 1066Mhz reaper
          D) FPS /Low X and Peak X. (In Sahrani facing the city of Paraiso from the airport) dunno but its very playable everywhere
          E) Viewdistance 4000
          F) Video settings in game (MP only-what really counts) Highest in all regions
          1) Resolution 1024x768

G) Comments Sorry i dont know the exact settings im just reinstalling Arma ill update if i can remember to
          |TG-XV|CryWolf

Thanks for the sig Bandaid (look at how well made my avatar is!)

Comment

A) CPU /X Ghz - Dual Core E8400 (3Ghz) Mild OC'd (3.33Ghz)
            B) GPU /X MB - EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512 55nm board
            C) RAM / X GB - 4 GB GSkill 1066 DDR2
            D) FPS /Low X and Peak X. (In Sahrani facing the city of Paraiso from the airport) - UNK but I avg in the mid to high 40's when I glance a the precision utility (EVGA's Fraps) Never noticed stuttering or slow downs
            E) Viewdistance X - 2506
            F) Video settings in game (MP only-what really counts) -
            1) Resolution - 1280x1024x32
            2) AA/AF - Very High\Normal
            3) Shader -high
            4) Processing -high
            5) Textures (low,mid,high or variation of) -Very high
            G) Comments
            Terrain Detail - high
            Object - high
            Shadow - high
            Blood - high
            On Vista 32 SP1
            |TG-Irr|Duc748s

sigpic

Comment

A) CPU Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.9 ghz
              B) GPU Two Ati Radeon X1950 Pro 256mbs in Crossfire mode
              C) RAM 4 gb. Upgraded just two days ago when an old module broke.
              D) FPS Low 20 and Peak 60 (In Sahrani facing the city of Paraiso from the airport)
              E) Viewdistance 2500-3000

F) Video settings in game
              1) Resolution 1280x1024
              2) AA/AF Low/Medium. AA has huge effect on FPS, AF not so much.
              3) Shader High, I haven't noticed any big change in FPS when changing this. I'm using the lowplants addon, so my stock Arma vegetation always uses the lowest quality shaders.
              4) Processing Low. Setting this to high has somewhat of an effect but nothing dramatic. I just like the way the game looks without it.
              5) Textures Medium
              G) Comments All other settings at medium, except for shadows. Shadows low/high makes no difference, so shadows are high for me. Shadows off gives best FPS, but looks like crap. Full-screen fraps-recording drops FPS down to teens, half-screen has almost no hit. All in all the game runs pretty well 99% of the time. My next upgrade is probably going to be a new GPU, followed by a CPU. The current motherboard is able to handle a Core 2 Quad. The twin Radeon x1950 Pro 256 mb versions are really not the best choice for Arma. :D

Oh, and OS is 64 bit Windows 7 beta build 7000. Arma runs a lot smoother on this than the 32 bit XP I had before, even though the high peak FPS isn't probably much better. My guess is MS has really been putting an effort on the memory handling.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X