Graphics card problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card problem?

It seems I am experiencing a weird hardware problem with my computer. This first started on ArmA, I would see weird colors or shapes, ex. blue dots or squares of purple/pink, appear all over my screen, and the game would freeze. If i alt-f4, my comp would then freeze a few seconds after reaching the desktop. I at first thought it was a heating problem, but my processors and graphics card were running at average temperatures. After waiting a few hours and trying again, the same thing happened. Yet afterwards, when i started up my computer, I got blue dots all over the start up screen, and then the computer froze and weird blue dots and purple shapes popped up. So i called my computer technician and he said it was probably the graphics card from the sound of it, and that he would lend me a crappy one to test it. But im wondering if you guys have any insight on this kind of problem, could it be something else like my motherboard? or faulty memory?

Until i get this fixed, won't be playing. Withdrawal will come shortly...

Re: Graphics card problem?

hey man I have this same problem put it stops at crashing my game... doesnt happen on the restart or anything. The game will just like tons of blocky square graphics and lots of lines and shapes going through it... I have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 possibilities out of the all the possible solutions. 1.) Like you said, overheating problem.. I open my case when this happens and internally it does seem like my comp is cookin'. 2.) Its some kind of fudge between the graphics drivers. Uninstall your drivers completely ( I use a flush program as well to make sure it gets all files and folders). Then work backwards on installing graphics drivers starting with the latest (uninstalling and repeating that dreadful process each time it happens) and find which driver is the best compatible with running Arma/your PC. I for one think its an overheat issue....but just my two cents xD

Comment

Oh yeah between the first and second time of this happening I uninstalled all of them and reinstalled till the newest driver.. and hoping it would work the second time. My temperature was fine (If i remember correctly I use speedfan to check my temperature) . I had also just turned on my computer when the problem started in ArmA, so it was cooler than usual. So for now its just a hardware problem, but thanks for your help :D

Comment

Just throwing somethings out at you.

1. Check that your graphics card is mounted properly. Remount if necessary. Check the PCI express slot and the terminals on the card, make sure they are clean. I think rubbing alchol can be used to clean them if dirty.

2. Is your fan on your gfx card work? Are all fans on your pc working. Even though it might not overheat, sometimes getting higher up in the working temperature range can still produce things like that after a long time. ArmA certainly does push computers.

3. Try some stress tests on your hardware. There are some free benchmarking tools out there. Check your card manufacturer or GPU chipset manufacturer's website for possible links. Or resort to googling for some.

4. Is your power supply powerful enough? Have you made upgrades lately which may now being drawing too much power?

thats about it. hope some of those leads work.
        Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

1) Remounted it with no effect

2) Fan seems to be working the same as it was on the first day, all other fans included

3) At the moment i can't get into my computer to test it, im typing from an old computer i have at the moment.

4) My power supply is enough, and no upgrades made recently.

Thanks for trying ;D

Comment

Do you run an ATI card?
            |TG| Eugene
            sigpic
            Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and has made the Lord his hope and confidence-Jeremiah17:7

Comment

Nope i have a Nvidia 8800 Ultra

Comment

So it turns out in the end it was my graphics card. I was able to get a free 7800 GT to test it out, and it worked fine. When I tried putting my other card back in, the computer had the same problems. Therefore, soon I will be able to start playing again. Thanks for everyones help

Comment

Depending on the age of the Graphics Card you could RMA the card with the vendor. This is an example KB article from PNY and the process is pretty much the same (actual page information shown below).

http://www3.pny.com/support/support_...SectionID=1113

Question
                  How can I return, exchange or receive a refund for a defective PNY Graphics Card?
                  Answer

A refund can be obtained from the retail store where the graphics card was purchased depending on the store's return/exchange/refund policy.

PNY Technologies will honor its product warranty of lifetime exchanges on defective products and will gladly exchange the graphics card. Over clocking - the process of speeding up the card beyond its normal operating parameters and physically altering the graphics card will void the warranty. To exchange the graphics card contact PNY Technical Support at 1-800-234-4597 to obtain an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number. < to returned be will card the number, RMA an without PNY cards graphics defective send not>

NOTE: A copy of the sales receipt is required, as proof of purchase for warranty exchange.
                  Email Technical Support

Comment

Was your graphic card new or old? Beacuse i have nightmares that something like that may happen to my already "experienced" GTX

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X