New to ArmA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to ArmA

I have been playing PR for quite a while now, but decided to give ArmA a shot to get use to things before Arma2 comes out.

I have all the updates/addons and am currently downloading ACE 1.07 right now. After that I will have everything.

Decided to do a little quick test run on single player and was surprised at how slow it was running on my PC. I could barely even run it at 800x600 with everything on medium.

My specs are:

Q6700 2.66ghz Quad Core
    4gb RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 512mb
    Windows Vista 64

It seems weird to be running so slow - but I WAS in a city so maybe that is why? I still can't see it running slow when I am well above even the recommended specs.

I have done a little reading around here but do any of you have any tips?

Thanks,

Re: New to ArmA

Sorry couldn't be of much help but what I do know is that people with Vista 64 had some issues but resolved somehow. Your specs seem good enough to run the game.
    I think your problem lies in the Windows Vista 64. Try using google to find some help or try the BIS forum itself.
    Again, sorry of no real help there.
    Good luck

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

what was your view distance set to? and turn anti aliasing and antsoptric filtering off see if that helps

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

Set both things OFF and my view distance is set to 1200.

I have been playing with settings for 30 minutes now and it doesn't seem what I put it on my FPS drops considerably when I come around any buildings or overgrowth.

Comment

hmmm..Im guessing its th 64 bit too because arma is not that bad in performance :S

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
          The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

shaders, use lowplants, google PROPER autum lowplants.
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I'm using 64 bit with a similar build but an 8800gt instead of a 8600gt. I have most high settings and about 7500m view distance. It might just be your video card and not 64bit. While the 8600gt is a good card, this game is still a system hog. Another thing you can try is overclocking your CPU to at least 3ghz. This game only runs on one core, so 2.66ghz quad is the same as a comparable intel dual core at the same speed.

Comment

Thank you all for things to try.

Last night did some tweaking - updated video card drivers, installed lowplants, turned vsync OFF. It is running a A LOT smoother, but not optimal!

Dirt - I think you are right - what is holding me back seems to be my video card. I have read that while the card is decent, it is not the greatest card. I am going to look into upgrading here within a couple days. Any recommendations?

Comment

any nvidia g series, a 240 is about 130 right now on newegg.
                  |TG|Ghost02
                  TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

AMD/ATI HD 4850, one of the best bang for you buck cards. Or a Nvidia GTX 260 core 216, make sure you get the 216 version, the first iteration was very sloppy.

Comment

Okay.

I think I am going to pick up the GTX 260 (216) and the OCZ GameXStream 700w PSU.

I am hoping this will do the trick. If nothing else it will hopefully get my system ready for Arma2

Comment

Dirt - I am trying to pinpoint whether it is the graphics card.

I just got done doing some more testing and I cannot even run everything at LOW @ 1024x768 and view distance set to 2000. As soon as I hit any kind of foliage or more then one building my FPS will just drop horribly.

Can my 8600GT be that much of a weak link? I know you said you are running the 8800GT on HIGH. Hmm.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X