Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back-with yet another video card question..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back-with yet another video card question..

A while back I posted about my computer specs running ArmedA 1

PERTINENT INFO:
    O/S WinXP SP2 Home Edition. 2 Gig RAM.
    CPU : Athalon 64X2 4200
    Video: ATI Radeon 3850 512 M
    PSU : 550W

Plans were to build a totally new system for ArmedA 2 but I've been "stung" a couple of times upgrading components before I actually got the game. The wife would inherit this machine as she really enjoys NWN1 and is getting into modding as well.

Can get an ATI 4870 with 1 gig of RAM for slightly less than $200 (Canadian) and a 4890 with one gig RAM for just a few bucks more. Can't do anything about the CPU. Socket 939 and that's about the highest CPU I found for a reasonable price. 939 Dual 4400 was selling on e-bay for > $400. Don't think so Tim.

Im contemplating buying the 4890 now and enjoy the benefits of improved graphics and FPS in ArmedA 1 until the fall when Id pick up ArmedA 2 and slap together a new box, import the 4890 into the new box and drop the 3850 back in this box for the missus.

Question is..right now..would it be worth springing for the new card or would the CPU and memory bottle neck the card so bad I wouldnt notice any significant change.

Input appreciated.
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: I'm back-with yet another video card question..

I'm not familiar with the amd athalon's, but I would say it can be a bottleneck for the 4890 and maybe to the 4870 too. You have to be careful about your PSU, because those cards are powerful, and if you have too much things sucking power, it could be a problem.

I would wait for bambo to see your post, he can help you more then I do, but my advise is to buy a 650w, or 700w PSU, for those cards. (ocz is good brand now and affordable)
    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Boo said in another post that the next gen cards coming out in the fall will outperform the current cards by a large degree. Not quite sure where this falls in to the mix but thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm running a similar rig and my performace in ARMA 1 is pretty good with mostly medium or normal settings. I'm guessing ARMA 2 will be much better out of the box than ARMA 1 was, at least I hope.

Athlon X24800
      2 Gig's RAM (2X 1GB)
      EVGA 8800GT 512
      650 PSU
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
        Boo said in another post that the next gen cards coming out in the fall will outperform the current cards by a large degree. Not quite sure where this falls in to the mix but thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm running a similar rig and my performace in ARMA 1 is pretty good with mostly medium or normal settings. I'm guessing ARMA 2 will be much better out of the box than ARMA 1 was, at least I hope.
        Thanks for input.

Problem with next generation cards is that they usually hit the market way out of my price range (ie: what was a 4870 worth just a year ago??) so I tend to wait until they come down in price.

For a couple of hundred I can grab a 4870 now and if the new cards end up being worth it , could simply leave the 4870 in this rig or transfer it and replace it a year or so after the new cards come down in price.

TBH though , have very limited game interests (mainly simulators) and don't see anything but ArmedA 2 in my future so the 4870 would probably last me until ArmedA 3 comes out but be quit a performance leap over my 3850 for the time being. :D
        [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X