Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i be able to play?

Hi guys

I bought arma 2 on release but since then i have been unable to play it, i meet the minimum and recommended specs but even on lowest settings i still get around 10-15 FPS. any advice would be appreciated short of upgrading my whole system.

Current specs

Processor: AMD® Athlon 64 X2 processor 6000+ Skt AM2
    Memory: 2GB DDR2 RAM, 667 MHz + 2GB 800Mhz
    Hard Drive: 320GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive with 8MB Buffer
    Video Card: ASUS GeForce 8800GT 512MB

Re: Should i be able to play?

My guess is that your CPU is the main bottleneck, as I get nice playable framerates with the same video card and a Q6600. This series seems to be more processor intensive than most others.

Comment

I can play, and are running with lower specs than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ironpants View Post
        My guess is that your CPU is the main bottleneck, as I get nice playable framerates with the same video card and a Q6600. This series seems to be more processor intensive than most others.
        Negative.

The GPU will be holding him back. ArmA 2 is a GPU intensive game. Okay. I have an X2 6400+ at 3.2GHz...I owned an 8800GT 512MB, and I bought the game to play it for what it was. Meaning awesome graphics. So I wanted to play on High settings. And I got like 13 FPS. So now I bought myself an HD4890 1GB and I play High Settings with 28 FPS average.

Comment

Have you done all the obvious? Such as disabling shadows, turning down anti aliasing etc etc. You could try this to improve your FPS, although it makes mine worse. This might be worth a shot, click me

Comment

I have a 6000 X2 amd and i'm getting really good frame rates normally. Though in certain places it can drop sometimes, but not that often. Alex
            Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Well since I'm mistaken about that processor, yes - you should be able to play! I've got most settings on normal, postprocessing low, shadows high and it runs quite well on my rig.

Comment

While ArmA2 may be fairly heavy-handed on the graphics requirements, the real meat of slowdown and chunky gameplay will come from a bottleneck in the CPU. No matter what settings you play at, if your rig doesn't have the processing prowess you'll crash and burn.

Comment

I have a AMD 5600 with a geforce 280, all high no problems so far.

Comment

Ollie...what OS are you running? XP or Win 7 is performing better than Vista I'm hearing. Personally I'm running with XP 32 bit edition. I just hear things about Vista and ARMA. If this is a game you really want to get into it might be worth it to install xp and give it a go.

Also...I find to the Bohemia Studios Forums to be quite helpful. Lots of ranting but some good info buried in there.

http://forums.bistudio.com/
                    Last edited by Grunt 70; 07-29-2009, 10:09 AM.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I run vista 32, XP is not an option as it's nt only my pc, won't run on my laptop either, HD4850 + Q9000 2.0Ghz quad @ 2.4 + 4gb 800mhz ddr2, also vista 32. I have every setting on lowest.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X