ArmA2 from Steam - installation issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA2 from Steam - installation issues

So I bought ArmA2 from steam. Having some problems with it.

Downloaded just fine, and the game status says 100% - Ready. Launching it gave me an error, saying: "Game is currently unavailable. Please try again later."... waited for a few hours, and tried to troubleshoot the problem etc, no change.

Checked the ArmA2 install directory (Steam/steamapps/common/arma 2/) and noticed that there was no arma2.exe in there, so I got Spriggan to send me his arma2.exe through xfire, spriggan also go arma2 through steam.

Yay now I can load the game with no error! So I got on a domination server (since nothing else avaliable), played for a bit with no problems. Then I got on a berserk server, played for a bit and no problems, so thought everything was working fine now. But it turns out that I cannot join a bunch of servers, including trufrets dedicated test server. When I try to join it just gives me a blank "Multiplayer Setup" screen dialog, I cant see any of the mission info like you usually should be able to - no Mission / Description / Map / Side information. I can see players typing in chat and server messages, and I can press the "OK" or Disconnect buttons. When I click on the "OK" button it will say "Receiving mission file 0 KB / 0 KB" but Ill never get the file and it will just hang there forever.

I cant help but think this is related to the installation method but cant seem to get any support from steam, I put a ticket in but still waiting 12 hours to hear back.

The TG server is one of the ones I cannot join, which really sucks...

So any help from ArmA2 steam users would be greatly appreciated. I wish I didnt buy from steam but it was my only option since game not carried at any retail stores here.

When I join the server, it looks like this:

When I click on OK, it looks like this and stays like this forever:
    Last edited by fuzzhead; 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM.

Re: ArmA2 from Steam - installation issues

Tried right click, properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache?
    You could also try deleting all the files and redownloading as a last resort.

Comment

Tried right click, properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache?

done that, nothing.

downloaidng will be last resort, lanning right now and id rather play on a crappy server running berserk than not play anything at all waiting for 8gb to download again for 6 hours...

so far not too impressed with steam tbh... maybe its just a fluke for me though

Comment

Well I've downloaded ArmA 2, ArmA 1, most everything Valve, Fallout 3, Lost Planet, Splinter Cell Double Agent and Unreal Tournament 3 with no problems other than ArmA 1 and Fallout 3 not patching fully, which is actually Atari/Bethesda Softworks' fault. So I can't really say anything bad about Steam BUT I have heard a few nasty cases.

Fallout 3 is annoying since it's still being patched and they do eventually patch it. Have to turn off automatic updating or I'll install the retail patch and then it'll overwrite it with the old patch files.

Comment

Seems to be only on your end. I have the STEAM version and never had a single issue with it. Maybe try contacting STEAM support? Or look on the STEAM forums.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
          The BigC

Comment

Okay so prety sure Ive isolated the problem to being my router.

I had a nice router a couple years ago (d-link) but got ruined and my roommate replaced it with a ****ty ass belkin wireless g router.

So having a LAN with beta and trufret, and they both can connect no problem to all servers, but for some strange reason my steam copy of the game can only connect to a handful of servers.

Well if I plug my computer directly to my modem, I can connect to all servers. I tried various port forwarding and everything else suggested but none of that fixes the issues. However Im crossing my fingers because right now I can still connect to TG even though Im connected to the router, the router must have temporarily granted me access to the server since I connected to it already or some ****.

Ill be going out and getting a linksys or dlink router tomorrow and post up if that fully alleviates the problem.

Spent my entire day off troubleshooting the problem with trufret.... networking is such a pain in the ass sometimes :(

Comment

Not the router: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4595-WEXN-6831

Best bet is that, yes, your local cache is corrupted or broken and you'll need to redownload the game to make it work properly.

Comment

Does your router have a "Gaming mode" switch somewhere in the config option? I vaguely remember having similar connection problems back in OFP, and all that went away when I switched the mode on. The router is a D-Link, but it would make sense if Belkin had something similar.

Comment

Did you find a way to solve this? I have the same issue.

Comment

Its weird, I resolved my issue but dont really know what I did exactly to resolve it hehe

What router do you have? I can tell you what steps I went through..

Comment

Most of the time restarting steam fixes that problem actually haha.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                      In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I spent 12 hours trying to fix this issue haha tried everything everyone recommended, and the only way it got resolved was very weird.

I simply plugged my DSL modem directly to my computer, ignoring the router. I could now join all servers just fine.

And now when I have my same router plugged back in like normal, it works!

Not sure why the hell that would fix anything but it did...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X