Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think google earth broke my graphics card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think google earth broke my graphics card?

Howdy.

I was on google earth earlier and it started going all screwed up, then my display driver (nvlddmkm) gave an error saying it stopped working but recovered.

Now when i load arma2 i get to the main screen and after 1 second it disappears.

Other games wont run either (HL2 etc)

Im on a geforce 8800 GTX 1GB.
    According to device manager the card is working properly.
    Should i roll back a driver and see what happens?

I swear to christ if i miss sundays event night over this im going to bitch slap google earth so hard itll end up being called google space.
    Nihility

Re: I think google earth broke my graphics card?

Dis-regard above. I updated my driver (even though i updated it 2 weeks ago....hadnt heard there was a newer one) and it seems to have solved it.....which also doesnt make any sense.

Me and you google earth, outside, NOW!!
    Nihility

Comment

UPDATE: Now when i lock the computer and log back on i get the error message: RUN DLL
      Missing entry NvClHandlehotplayevents

Argh!
      Nihility

Comment

Norman, sounds like you fried your GPU. Take a temperature test if your computer manages to boot, at idle speeds. Don't take it in-game until you're sure it's cool enough!

If there's a problem, check the fans in your case and on the GPU and make sure they're operating correctly. Are you overclocking anything?

Comment

Nah im not over clocking anything. Cards about 2.2 years old, which lis fairly old for a card thats constantly under stress.
          Unfortunately frying it has been at the back of my mind, ive done it to 3 other cards on a diff rig :D

But it seems to work now again, bar the error message after i lock.
          It boots ok too.
          Noob alert: how do i get the GPU reading? I just cleaned the card and its fans there. They were fairly dusty, over heat is looking likly :( Is it in the settings at startup? F2 screen?
          Nihility

Comment

You can download a program called "EVGA Precision" for NVidia cards, it reads card temp and PCB temp along with letting you manually set fan speed. (I ALWAYS have it at 100%. Rather have the fan die out than the rest of the card.)

Comment

HWMonitor is awesome, and it's free:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Vacuum out your computer case and fan/air slots regularly! There's a good chance you're ok if you caught the overheating early.

Comment

A similar thing happened to me with my brand new ATI card.

ARMA 2 would lock up just after starting in game and flash to desk top and not return.

I checked Windows 7 and it mentioned problems with various dlls. Funny thing was this all happened just after several Windows 7 auto updates. I then rolled back my computer and upgraded my drivers and all is good again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X