Crashing Lots in arma2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashing Lots in arma2

hey guys iv been crashing to desktop LOADS recently usually after a few hours of play but in almost every single mission! and its driving me crazy! everything will be fine then frames will drop to like 2-3 for a few seconds then crash totally or the game will appear to minimise and just disappear with the process still running but crashing and eating up ram. i have no idea what is causing this. i did a fresh install of windows last night and arma2 with latest patch and fresh install of the tg mods etc. and i still get the same!

im using win7 64bit
    intel core i7 920 @ 4ghz
    6gig of dddr3 at 1600mhz
    and a GTX280 graphics card.
    i have all the latest drivers for everything all windows updates etc etc

does anyone know what could be causing it? or is it just awful game code?

thanks for any help. :)

edit: oh the overclock is rock stable. iv stressed it for 40 hours+ with prime95 and done folding on it for weeks without a single crash arma never uses over 23% cpu usage.

Re: Crashing Lots in arma2

Are you running 1.04 or 1.05 beta?

Comment

Comment

I'd recommend using the beta. It supports more than 2GB RAM, and it has better support for Win7 than 1.04 does.

If the beta alone doesn't help, try to run the game with the -winxp shortcut parameter.

Comment

ill give it a bash. i do have a feeling its the ram limited that might be the probs. turning the view distance down and detail prolongs a crash. what does that -winxp parameter do?

Comment

The official description for it is "use it in Vista/Windows 7 to enable multi-GPU support (Arma2)", but for some people it has solved other issues as well. No harm in trying. :)

Comment

well I just had a blast around on bravo with the beta patch on and I can have everything set to high with 1920x1200 resolution and it's perfectly smooth and playable and didn't notice any signs of an imminent crash. I haven't had time to test it much though as iv got lectures at uni in half an hour but it is definitely a big improvement. hopefully that's the problem solved. thanks for your help!

Comment

Nice to hear. Hope it stays like that! :)

Comment

last night i was hearing of quite a few people crashing on the bravo server who dont usually crash including myself. but my instance happened twice when i tried to get in a chopper, and the last straw was i was already in a chopper and i moved to the crew chief slot. hopefully it wont crash tonight /fingers crossed
                  "Lay down your soul to the gods rock and roll!" - Venom, 'Black Metal'

Comment

even if my arma crashing is due to an outside flaw there is no denying its badly written. and the server crashes ALL THE TIME! which is most annoying. maybe another 10 patches will help and hopefully arrowhead or whatever the 2nd one is will support 8 threads for some i7 madness :D

Comment

There is something wrong with your system if it crashes all the time because by default Arma2 is stable. I haven't had a crash in months unless I do something stupid like alt+tab out of the game to fire up TS, and even then it's rare. The server crashes are most likely because of clients running incompatible mods, my bet is someone running SLX even though they shouldn't be, because we had them pretty rarely before the SLX-tryout but now I've seen crashes in missions that were very stable before.

Comment

well this beta patch seems to have fixed the crashing so far. so maybe its all good for now. i still feel its badly written though. or at least badly optimised. its not an efficient game and i can play any other game with all the bells and whistles on. guess its time for a 5970 :)

Comment

Not every game has a 225 km2 world, something which people tend to forget when making those performance comparisons :)

Comment

absolutely so if it could utilise a little more computing horsepower when its there and being unused... my cpu usage sits around 23% in arma2 :(

Comment

Well, ArmA2 only uses one CPU core afaik. In the end, with your CPU speed, it is your storage drive that matters quite a lot. Be it 7200rpm SATA drives in RAID0, SSD or RAM drives, or 10.000rpm raptor drives.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X