Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "not upgrading" for ama 2

hey all

I read the upgrading for arma 2 thread in hopes of getting the information i wanted with no luck - not surprising as it primarly deals with hardware changes one can make to get the best possible ARMAII performance possible.

And if i had the cash to do so i'd so be there! Unfortunatly i dont, i only have a computer cause of a scholorship and its a laptop so upgrade options are few at best, and expensive. On the bright side i do meet the minimum specs (Btw sorry my DxDiag.exe has disappeared for some reason):

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit (Build Service Pack 16001)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz
    3.0 GB RAM
    GeForce 9600M GT

i meet the minimum requirements and can just about run the game (sans the eye candy). But i always find myself thinking "if i could just up the frame rate by 1 or maybe 2 frames it would make so much difference". Currently my game is ever so slighltly jumpy.

So i've been wondering what i can do to "get the most" out of the specs i've got. I know windows vista runs alot of unnessesary stuff and I could start by trimming that, but i've been considering going a stage further. I have 2 hard drives, and I only ever use 1 of them (and that ones only 50% full), so what about installing an operating system that can get more out of my current hardware?

I'd be greatful for opinions on this idea and maybe even suggestions of good OS's for gamming.

Thanks again
    JXL

Re: "not upgrading" for ama 2

The new patches make it run better on lowend-Mid machines, I would say try the demo, I think they patch thier demos. Also in the US there is programs where you can finance a computer, re you going to school to be a game developer by chance lol.

Comment

Run the game at a really low resolution, that will help. Turn off your AV software. Not much else you can do, and since it is a laptop, your anemic-speed harddrive is also holding you back.

Comment

anemic speed? how do you mean?
        I'm not in the US or studying software in anycase.

Comment

Most stock laptop hardrives are quite a bit slower than a desktop equivalent. Spindle speed, read/write times.

Also, you probably have 2 partitions, not 2 hard drives, so it really doesnt make a difference where the game or your OS is.

FWIW, XP might offer a small boost in performance, and the format will clean up any other software gremlins, but I don't think it's worth it unless you have the license and ability to figure out drivers and such.

Comment

oh right, ya i'm aware of LT's having slower drives. I do have a copy of XP in my cupboard and i think i'd be alright getting the drivers etc... I'm no computer wizard but that is within my ability ;)

Yeah i wasn't imagineing any huge boost in performance, but if i can get a couple more Frames/second it'd make the world of difference. Also i experimented with a lower 3D res, that's worked pretty well so thanks for that.

What i find strange is that upping the graphical demands (selecting better textures and what not) doesn't have that much effect on my frames/second. Also on training it played pretty decently on medium settings. So i figured it might be an issue of processor speed and just how MUCH is going on at any given time in arma 2?

Hugely enjoying the game in any case :)
            thanks again
            JXL

Comment

It is rather the processor speed than the graphics card. I am running a C2D @ 2.4GHz and a HD4870 and I think the CPU is bottlenecking the graphics card, since i can only run on about 30 fps on medium settings @ 1280x1024. About training playing better, ArmA has this weird thing, that even if there is just a bit more processing power needed, the frames drop significantly. Since the single player mode doesn't need as much as the MP with all the additional scripts and that kind of stuff, it runs better.

There's really not much you can do about your problem, maybe attempt OCing and/or reformatting, pretty much only depends on if you think it's worth it..

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...ad-nvidia.html

Try this out. I haven't done so yet because I have a pretty powerful desktop I run the game on. I have a similar laptop, only it's a 2.26 CPU and has 4 GB of RAM. I'm thinking about playing with the editor soon so I might install the game on the laptop again for portability. Before I built my desktop I was running everything on low and only at 768 RES at around 12-15 FPS on the laptop. I needed a decent desktop and this just pushed me over the edge.

I noticed the graphic settings not affecting FPS much either. Hopefully the "tweaks" posted here will help things out a little. I am going to give this stuff a try within the next week or so. If you try it out post back and let me know if it helped.

Comment

Just another option to explore.
                  Windows 7 64bit.
                  You can get it quite cheap as a student via your university tech centre.
                  My game certainly improved coming from Win XP 32.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X