Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACE2 help

Hey guys,

I've recently got ARMA2 and after playing with it for about a few hours I decided to go get the ACE2 mod. Now ARMA itself was a bit overwhelming to grasp but ACE2 is by far 3x worse. Theres is very little documentation on alot of the features. I've done a bit of googling but its pretty hard to find alot of answers to my questions. While I know TG isn't in charge of ACE, I've played with TG members in the past in other games and I figure if anything you guys would be a pretty knowledgable community conveniently all in one forum.

So I'm here to ask if theres a ACE2 manual or guide out there somewhere? I've also got some questions I'd like answered now if possible:

1. Are the glasses/goggles supposed to do something or are they just a visual feature for other players looking at you? I've been on some domi servers and put on safety goggles, tactical shades and what not and I don't see any difference in my view.

2. I've noticed ropes in the ammo crates but I have no idea what they do? Are they for fast roping or scaling walls/ rappelling? If for fast roping/rappelling how do I use them?

3. Where are the IR strobes? I can't seem to find them. Are they the same thing as chemlights or are they something else?

4. In the servers I've played on, I've noticed you can heal/bandage yourself and theres a small counter telling you how many you have left. Yet I can't seem to find any of these items in my gear. Also playing single player, I've found items like epi/bandages/morphine and what not yet I don't seem to see any of these in the ammo crates on the domi servers? How am I healing myself?

5. In HuntIR, the TI view is completely white. NV mode works fine though. Is this a bug or is there something I'm doing wrong in HuntIR?

6. On some server, while flying a blackhawk, there was an option to turn on a HUD which would aid you in picking up vehicles, in another server also running ACE2, this option was not available. Is this a server side setting or is it something extra outside of ACE2?

7. How do I repair/rearm choppers? Or for that matter other vehicles as well?

8. I was on a motorbike and it was doing well for a while. Then after a few km, the bike slowed down terribly, and couldn't get past 5 kph. The fuel bar was pretty high and there was no damage on the damage bar. My passenger suggested maybe the wheel was damaged or something, but is that seperate from the damage bar? Are these kind of damages repairable?

9. How do you use the map tools? They don't show up in my map even if I have them in my gear.

10. Do Helicopters/Planes have flares? If so how do I use them?

11. Any nice custom missions to test all the ACE2 stuff on?

Thanks in advance, and expect more of these kind of questions soon. Hope to be on the TG server soon.

Lev

Re: ACE2 help

I am not up on all of it but i will tell you what I know. All the things that are available in ace are not avaiable in in all missions.The glasses are nice to have but wont change your view, just how you look to others. Ropes are used for fast roping from helos. All the medical stuff is in the medical crates(Red cross on top) which isnt available in all missions either, sometimes you get the medical in your pack, mission dependent. The ir strobes and chemlites are also mission dependent, when available the chemlights are in a blue crate. All i can say is that if its in the mission you will have it in your gear or it will be available in the crates. The rest of your questions will be have to be answered by others because I don't know.

Comment

1. The safety goggles prevent you from getting blurry vision when standing near a chopper during dust-off. Apart from that, they are purely cosmetic. The tactical glasses have orange-tinted lens and, as far as I know, are used by marksmen and snipers in reality as the orange color is supposed to improve contrast and depth perception. I doubt it does much on a computer monitor, though.

2. Those are fastroping ropes. They need to be placed in the cargo of a helicopter to work. The crew chiefs can then initiate a fastrope drop, and everyone in the passenger seats of that helicopter will fastrope to the ground.

3. The IR strobe is called "MS-2000". It's in the US Special Weapons crate, and probably a few others. You should have an action menu option to switch it on when you have it on you.

4. If there's a counter, it's probably not ACE Medical, as far as I know. In the ACE Medical system, you have to pick up medical supplies from a box (they go into your pistol mags/equipment slots, and currently only bandages, morphine and epinephrine work), and when you're wounded, relevant colored action menu options will appear to let you use them. To use those on someone else, you need to have your ACE interaction key bound (check the many tutorials around this forum) and use it while looking at someone else, and then click "Examine", which will give you relevant options to heal them.

5. I haven't messed around much with HuntIR, but I assume TI is thermal imaging. If it is the same kind of fake FLIR used in the rest of ACE2, try hitting Page Down a few times to turn down the brightness. Page Up turns it back up.

6.This may be a mission script. ACE2 has a script for cargolifting called RAVLIFTER, but it has many locality issues at present and is not multiplayer-compatible. It does show a small scope with cargo positions, though.

7. You can use the service MTVR vehicles to repair choppers, though ammo trucks have a long-standing bug dating back from OFP which will only allow you to reload one type of ammo on vehicles. To repair a chopper, drive a repair MTVR up to it and you should get an action menu option while inside the chopper to "Repair at MTVR", or similar.

8. You might have changed terrain types - something that's notably messed up in ArmA with regards to the max speed of vehicles moving over them. You can also make sure you're pressing E to get the maximum speed. Otherwise, it could just be a random bug.

9. See here. I haven't used them yet so I can't offer any useful advice.

10. Mando Flares are set to Left Shift by default. A flare counter tells you how many you have left (though "one flare" is actually about four or five, shot out in a 160 degree-ish angle).

11. There are some missions included with ACE2 which are on the server. If you want a mission where all of the ACE2 stuff is laid out for you, try jumping on the server when "ACE Training Grounds" is on - which it is most of the time during off-hours.

Comment

1. Saftey goggles shield from prop wash (wind blown around by aircraft), tactical glasses give a yellow tint to the view, which actually gives about 5-10% visibility increase in dark
        2. You can't scale walls (unfortunately). If you have a rope in your inventory a rope controller can allow you to fast rope from certain helicopters.
        3. Not sure, but you can add them in the editor by putting this to the unit's init line: this addMagazine "ACE_IRSTROBE";
        4. In ACE each individual bandage is a magazine, so if you are carrying 3, you can bandage yourself three times. If you are carrying none, none. You can add ACE ammo crates to test out all the ace stuff in the editor.
        8. Yes, it is separate in ACE. You can have a full health bar and have a disabled vehicle.
        9. http://ace.wikkii.com/wiki/Features_of_ACE2#Map_Tools
        10. left-shift click
        11. ACE training grounds mission has ALL the ace stuff in it.

Comment

1. Are the glasses/goggles supposed to do something or are they just a visual feature for other players looking at you? I've been on some domi servers and put on safety goggles, tactical shades and what not and I don't see any difference in my view.

The tactical glasses should tint your screen yellow. They also stop downwash from choppers and some machine guns.

2. I've noticed ropes in the ammo crates but I have no idea what they do? Are they for fast roping or scaling walls/ rappelling? If for fast roping/rappelling how do I use them?

These are for fast ropeing. As far as i know the pilot must put it in the chopper or in his inventory. The players will get a rope option once the helo is at proper height speed etc.

3. Where are the IR strobes? I can't seem to find them. Are they the same thing as chemlights or are they something else?

The IR strobes are in the ammo boxes. Not all missions have all things in the ammo boxes. This is a map maker decision

4. In the servers I've played on, I've noticed you can heal/bandage yourself and theres a small counter telling you how many you have left. Yet I can't seem to find any of these items in my gear. Also playing single player, I've found items like epi/bandages/morphine and what not yet I don't seem to see any of these in the ammo crates on the domi servers? How am I healing myself?

That self healing without physical kit in your gear is a script. Some missions have it activated. ACE2 uses the bandages morphine etc to heal, if it is activated on the mission.

5. In HuntIR, the TI view is completely white. NV mode works fine though. Is this a bug or is there something I'm doing wrong in HuntIR? Mine seems to work. I dont know whats wrong with yours.

6. On some server, while flying a blackhawk, there was an option to turn on a HUD which would aid you in picking up vehicles, in another server also running ACE2, this option was not available. Is this a server side setting or is it something extra outside of ACE2?

Again this is dependant on the map maker. There are cargo lifting scripts.

Most maps dont actually have the repair points for vehicles. If you see a truck with a flatbed loaded with gear and a spanner painted on the side it is a repair truck. Get it VERY close to the damage vehicle. Depending on the script there will be a repair option or it will do it on auto.

8. I was on a motorbike and it was doing well for a while. Then after a few km, the bike slowed down terribly, and couldn't get past 5 kph. The fuel bar was pretty high and there was no damage on the damage bar. My passenger suggested maybe the wheel was damaged or something, but is that seperate from the damage bar? Are these kind of damages repairable?

That sounds like the wheels being damaged. Its repairable if you have a repair truck/point. SOme maps also run a chage tire script.

9. How do you use the map tools? They don't show up in my map even if I have them in my gear.

Not up on that. You physically need the map tools in your gear though.

Shift

ACE TRAINING GROUNDS has everything on it. Its on the TG server list.
          Nihility

Comment

Originally posted by Lev306 View Post
            I've recently got ARMA2 and after playing with it for about a few hours I decided to go get the ACE2 mod. Now ARMA itself was a bit overwhelming to grasp but ACE2 is by far 3x worse. Theres is very little documentation on alot of the features. I've done a bit of googling but its pretty hard to find alot of answers to my questions. While I know TG isn't in charge of ACE, I've played with TG members in the past in other games and I figure if anything you guys would be a pretty knowledgable community conveniently all in one forum.
            I'll try to answer these questions. But I guarantee that playing ACE2 on TG is a rather awesome experience and you should give it a try if you haven't already. You can ask questions to people in-game as well.

I believe that most of them are simply for visual effect. Tactical glasses help you see better at night without NVG's because of the yellow tint making everything appear brighter, I believe the safety goggles prevent the screen from blurring while there's dust flying around (Downwash from choppers), gas masks will prevent CN gas from having an effect on you (and other gases in the future I believe). and earplugs will remove the blurring effects when machine guns fire nearby (however doesn't seem to prevent ear rings from things such as nearby explosions, tank canons firing...)

I believe they are used for fast roping, but I don't quite know how they work. I believe you have to be a group leader inside a chopper hovering low enough to the ground while you have the rope in your inventory (or the chopper's inventory?) and you should get an action in the action menu.

Not available in all crates and missions, the IR strobe is called an "MS-2000" and appears to be a washed-out light green rectangular box with a sort of belt clip on it. Strobes can either be worn or thrown on the ground, like chemlights.

What you're referring to is not an ACE2 feature at all, but a mission script that was made before ACE2 to try to emulate it. In missions with ACE2 medical enabled you will (hopefully) find medical crates or field hospital tents with bandages, morphine, and epinephrine (and others, but those three are the important ones). If you're a medic/corpsman than you'll see that you usually spawn with one of each (or more if the mission designer has made it that way). In order to use these items on others you need to use ACE2's radial action menu and click "examine" then click what you wish to use. Most medic units can use one bandage infinitely, but will still use up morphine and epinephrine, but some EAST and IND units aren't modeled right (and also have half the inventory space for some reason)

5. In HuntIR, the TI view is completely white. NV mode works fine though. Is this a bug or is there something I'm doing wrong in HuntIR?
            Thermal hasn't really been implemented and is completely useless. Thermal will be implemented in the Operation Arrowhead expansion for ArmA2 coming... eventually.

This may just be a mission-specific thing,a nd I don't think that thare's a vehicle lifting script in ACE2... though I could be wrong

Usually you need to drive a repair/refuel/repair truck (depending on what you want to do) near the chopper then get inside the chopper and it will repair/refuel/rearm. Some missions have a script where you can land the chopper or vehicle in a designated zone and it will be "serviced" to full strength and armament.

All wheeled vehicles can have their wheels damaged. Usually you will hear a sort of "psshhhh" from the wheel as it gets damaged. if you shoot the tire on a car you will hear the sound, and should be able to recognize it. You can visually tell because the vehicle's wheel may be completely missing (rediced to just the rim) or will be "leaning" towards where the damaged wheel is (if the wheel doesn't have a "damaged" model it will appear to be sinking into the ground). This is a default ArmA feature and is not ACE2 related.

If you have map tools in your gear hold H and click anywhere on the map to place the ruler, then hold J and click anywhere to orient the ruler in that direction. Hold left bracket "[" and click-drag to draw a free form line. Hold "[" and then click to create a starting point, then hold right bracket "]" and click to draw a straight line from the starting point to the point you clicked. To change the color of the pen hold "[" and click, then when the point appears click again, and repeat until it's the color you want. To erase any line simply click it on the map (without holding button) until it turns into an outline then hit backslash "\"

When you are done marking the map other people with map tools can come up to you and use the "copy map" option in their action menu.

When flying an air vehicle you sohuld see some controls in the bottom left. I believe left shift is the default for deploying flares.

I wouldn't know, sorry. Try playing on TG, that has missions with ACE medical enabled, usually.

Thanks in advance, and expect more of these kind of questions soon. Hope to be on the TG server soon.
            Ask whatever you like, we're all ears.

EDIT: It would appear everybody on the forum got to it before I could =P

Comment

All perfect answers, but just a note on this one:

Originally posted by cctoide View Post
              7. You can use the service MTVR vehicles to repair choppers, though ammo trucks have a long-standing bug dating back from OFP which will only allow you to reload one type of ammo on vehicles. To repair a chopper, drive a repair MTVR up to it and you should get an action menu option while inside the chopper to "Repair at MTVR", or similar.
              There are now new ACE repair trucks (not the same unit as a normal repair truck, but visually the same) as well as ammo/fuel trucks.

The new ACE Damage System makes repairs a little more complicated... if a vehicle is damaged and the fuel appears to be empty, then the vehicle has suffered an engine kill. Nothing will fix that... the repair trucks only fix wheel/tires/treads in the field (which is nice realism). Other damage which is not an engine kill or a penetrated hull will take a proportionate amount of time to fix and each vehicle has a specific full-damage-repair time. Helis are 20 minutes I think, so if the heli had 50% damage then the repair time would be 10 minutes. Once again, nothing will repair a catastrophic break such as a penetrated hull or an engine kill.

The ammo bug is fixed now... an ACE ammo truck will now fill ALL magazines.

If you aren't getting an option to repair/rearm/refuel, try turning your view toward the support vehicle. If you can't turn your head, a gunner/commander with a turnable view can "look" at the support vehicle and if it's close enough the support option will appear in the Action Menu.

Hopefully all the old missions will quickly befixed to use the new ACE_MTVRRepair and Rearm/Refuel units... the old support vehicles won't work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longtime View Post
                The ammo bug is fixed now... an ACE ammo truck will now fill ALL magazines.
                It's about time! Before that mission creators had to add scripts to force the reloading. Godd to know it has been fixed. :)

In regards to question 10: "Do Helicopters/Planes have flares? If so how do I use them?"
                ACE2 includes a sort of automatic flares system: if a missile is fired at you, flares are automatically deployed. However this system success rate is extremely low, so don't count on it. The TGModpack now includes Mando Missile Addon: this stand-alone mod modifies how helicopters, aircrafts and most guided missiles work by adding a plethora of features that greatly enhance gameplay. One of these is a Radar Warning Reciever (that for gameplay reasons detects also IR missiles) that pops up and shows a line indicating the approaching missile; you can utilise the Shift key (you can rebind them every time you step in a helo/aircraft) to manually deploy some flares to spoof the missile and forcing it to detonate prematurely: these flares have a useful lifetime of a couple of seconds, so it is usually better to drop them at the last second, and they only work for missiles approaching from the rear arc (missiles in front are not usually spoofed, and if they are and the helo is in the way of the countermeasures, it will hit anyway).

Another very important thing in regards to goggles:
                as everyone else posted Safety Goggles eliminate any vision impairment due to rotor downwash and the dust kicked up by certain weapons. Tactical Goggles do the same, but tint everything in yellow (and they do improve your natural night-vision: if I don't have NVGs, I keep the Tactical Goggles on at all time). The two important features, however, are the Gasmasks and Earplugs: the first reduces your vision and increases the stamina loss, but makes you immune to chemical/biological weapons like CS gas and nastier stuff (some mission have gas attacks, so always be ready); the second protects your ears from heavy weapons (like M249/M240/PKM/AT) and from explosions: if you do not have them on and are close to one of these things, you WILL become deaf, as in you WILL NOT be able to hear anything, not even VON. Deafness is NOT permanent, but if you are not careful, it can reduce your situational awareness by a lot.

11. Another series of good missions you can use to test out stuff in action are the Warfare BE (also known as Benny's Warfare) series of missions. :)
                sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys

Comment

In my post, regarding earplugs I said this:

Originally posted by Merula View Post
                    if you do not have them on and are close to one of these things, you WILL become deaf, as in you WILL NOT be able to hear anything, not even VON.
                    Well, after testing I have to correct myself: VON CAN be heard, unless it is Direct Chat. So, even if you are deaf, you can still hear radio messages.
                    sigpic

Comment

How do I put on earplugs and the gasmask? I am almost always beside a machine gunner and it would be nice to play embassy with some sound lol. I've been told that I should be able to do it in my action menu with the scroll buttons but it's just not there, even though they are in my inventory.

Comment

ok you got Go into your Arma 2/Userconfig/ACE folder. (NOT to be confused with @ACE/userconfig folder)
                        Then open ace_clientside_config.hpp in notepad or similar and scroll down to class Identity E D I T below THIS LINE.
                        Then Add => name = "<your_profile_name>";

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...rma2-info.html
                          All you need to properly set up ArmA2 and ACE2.
                          sigpic

Comment

Alright good to go.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse