No announcement yet.

Why Can't I run this game effectively?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Can't I run this game effectively?

I Have.
    CPU: AMD 2.4 Dual Core
    GPU: HD 4870 Ice (800 stream processors, 750 mhz)
    Ram: 4gb DDR2 OCZ
    MoBo: Gigabyte Ga-Ma785G

Would buying another 4870 bring any benefit. Because with 3000 m draw dist and normal settings i only get 20 avg fps (would this have anything to do with me running the steam demo). What should I do? Any response is greatly appreciated.

Re: Why Can't I run this game effectively?

You are running the demo? If so thats your problem right there. The demo is crap. Full version + updates makes it run like a charm.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Thanks i was gonna get the game anyway but i was disconcerted about how poorly it ran. Thanks again.

Comment

Hello GrandmaButch,
        I have a 4850 HD 512MB so you're in safe hands with GPU side of things.
        As Dredge mentioned. The demo is not a good benchmark to see if the game would run in your setup.
        However, buy the game you won't regret it.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaButch View Post
          I Have.
          CPU: AMD 2.4 Dual Core
          GPU: HD 4870 Ice (800 stream processors, 750 mhz)
          Ram: 4gb DDR2 OCZ
          MoBo: Gigabyte Ga-Ma785G

Would buying another 4870 bring any benefit. Because with 3000 m draw dist and normal settings i only get 20 avg fps (would this have anything to do with me running the steam demo). What should I do? Any response is greatly appreciated.
          The full retail version with patches, runs better than the demo. Also I don't think buying another card will help, from what I understand Arma II doesn't support crossfire.

Comment

ArmA is more of a Hard drive kind of game. If your hard drive has a fast speed and what not you will be golden.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I bought the full retail version of the game and it is great. However, my performance is still not great. I have the 1.4 patch or whichever the first one is called. I have a stock hard drive so maybe that is the problem. Any suggestions on ones that would boost performance. Price range up to 250 or so? Thanks for all the replies by the way.

Comment

Upgrade to patch 1.05 then check your performance. IF that doesnt work then you can download a few performance mods. http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/proper-pr..._Tweak_Visuals go there and download proper low vegatation. You can also try http://armaholic.com/page.php?id=6050 Hope this helps.
                |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

If you are in the market or getting another hard drive. Make sure that it's not the slow rated ones. i.e. 5400rpm instead of 7400rpm. Silly to point out but just good to know if looking for bargain hard drives.

Also, as Socom mentioned. Using client side addons to ease the performance hit helps too. Just make sure to launch them with proper tags in your shortcut.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Thanks everyone the feedback has been very helpful.

Comment

The hard drive is by far the biggest problem.

Buying an SSD is the best answer (although expensive). Be sure it has a cache if you do buy an SSD.

Comment

Actually I bought a new processor a quad core 3.2 ghz and it runs wonderfully. i now get 47 avg fps with max settings for the benchmark with 3000 meters view distance.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaButch View Post
                          Actually I bought a new processor a quad core 3.2 ghz and it runs wonderfully. i now get 47 avg fps with max settings for the benchmark with 3000 meters view distance.
                          Holy s***, seriously? What game resolution?

When you bump the resolution up it a) looks beautiful and b) grinds the hard drive to death.

Still, that is impressive with a quad core and a 4870. Now try it at 3840x2160. ^_^

Comment

Arma 2 loves a quad. I had an i3 530 dual (HT disabled because Arma hates it) and it was a dog compared to even a AMD Phenom II 940 (the am2+ model). The i5 750 is the sweet spot for performance without going overpricy. This all with a 5850. The quad gave it faster rendering further viewdistance and higher frames, and frees up the lag so your videocard can "Stretch". Stuttering (when flying in particular) is very much helped by even a cheap entry-level Kingston (Gen 2 V series 64/128GB model, not the 40GB) or Intel SSD (even the 30GB is good).

Comment

Yeah i run at 1400x900 because of my older lcd monitor. However this game is amazing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X