Comms Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comms Discussion

So I've recently in the last few days reinstalled and started getting some time in the tg server. One of the new things that I've seen is the new TS plugin. "Assuming" everyone has it working its a big improvement of the standard in game voip network. However, and this is the point of the discussion, I think we are over utilizing it. Case in point the domi op we tried to do last night with ratlover in charge.

It was a good time and we manage to accomplish what we were tasked to do. If I remeber right we had 20 to 24 people on the server. We broke into groups, some three infantry groups 3-6 people a group, also a command infantry group maybe another 4 people. We also had two diffrent CAS groups, fixed and rotary wing, and three diffrent transport choppers. If I remeber right air assest had there own LR channel, communication was passed to command and then to the FAC. I'm not bashing this that makes sense to me. What I would like to point out is that each individual inf group had a diffrent SR freq, with all group leaders using the same over LR command net frequence. I think this is over kill. In a case like this were not dealing with a lot of people, and i think the comms situation can be simplified. It also creates two problems, first comms takes a lot longer to get together in the first place, also your JIPS are harder to work out and get set up. This increase the time people are sitting around not doing anything instead of playing the game. Second if and when the crap hits the fan you going to have people going down. Obviously there going to link up with what ever group they can, but with everyone on a diffrent channle you dealing with another headache.

So taking the same example I gave, you have your three infantry groups plus the command group. Right away each group leader needs to have the LR radio as well as the overall infatry platoon leader. This can be used as a command net. The whole platoon however uses the same SR feq. This helps out with the crap hitting the fan problem and reforming units. For you individual groups, they should really be using the standard voice. 4-6 man groups need to be able to see eachother and are not going to be spread out so much that standard talking becomes ineffective. This overall approach greatly simplfies comms allowing missions to get off the ground much quicker.

Anyways please let me know what you think.

Re: Comms Discussion

Thats normally how we do it, but I think certain things change depending on the size. Small groups should all be on the same freq to ease the comms for everyone playing. I think it is just a case of people transferring Large Scale Ops Comms to small scale missions. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. We just need to find a good balance between the two.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Yeah, I'm used to squads having a SR freq assigned, odds are they were not necessary. The real reason communication broke down on that mission was the failure of the TS plugin. As much as I love the current TS plugin, it pretty much botched the whole mission as soon as it failed. Squads couldn't communicate, unit cohesion broke down, and we scrapped the mission shortly after.

John, you did a great job as SL on that op, appreciate the feedback. The only reason I assign a squad SR net in tactical domination is for JIP's or returning guys who are KIA to have a form of comms with their squadleaders until they return to their squad.

Comment

Rat, how does a short-range net help JIPs when all but the closest objectives are beyond the 700m. maximum effective distance? Wouldn't it make more sense for JIPs to simply ask someone in-the-know at base, like an idle chopper pilot, for directions or instructions?

Comment

i would like to add that the simpler that you can make stuff the better. there is a rime and a reason for all the cool qizmos and gadgets that we have available to us in arma. i am one of the belief that if it is a mission that has some heighten TG play or a very large mission, or whatever, i would feel that it would be easy just to use default freaqs

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I think we should start treating comms failures as "Communications Net Failures" .. meaning as if in real life the OPFOR has actually downed the entire communications net and we are forced to improvise. One of the best games I have seen here did that .. treated it as enemy comms net attack. This is not hypothetical as such attacks are a part of modern planning (see EMP electro magnetic pulse weapons). My thoughts .. doesn't mean we shouldn't work on comms stability just have a back up plan as the Commander.

One of the worst games I have had here was when comms went down ... we were all doing great in the fight and Command (admin) shut down the game because they didn't know what was happening. My suggestion, if you are Command and comms shuts down ... get your behind to the front or a better position and finish the fight.

My thoughts about our drive for realism ... not perfection.
            "The unexamined life is not worth living". Socrates. "The unlived life is not worth examining". |TG| tiggr

Comment

Yesterday was a good example of a break down in the ComNet. We were midway through Mikee's first mission of his new WiC Campaign (which is excellent btw, everyone should play it if they get the chance) and TS started its random bout of crashes, freezes, restarts, etc. In particular, I couldn't get the broadcasting static out of my head, even when closed down from TS, for the remainder of the OP. Bravo had just picked up five JIPs, so as Bravo Team Lead, I resorted to the good ol' Group Chat and VON to get my team organized. Granted it took us close to ten mikes, but when we made contact with the enemy we were combat effective and took no casualties. Kudos to N0body and Shemashko for taking the lead of the FT's btw. And Chief for gunning/driving/tending to the M113.

Comment

This is one of the things I love about TG. Can't overutilize good comms. In fact, as a group we probably need a lot more work on them.

Is there a comms protocol sticky anywhere? Might be nice to highlight it in the general forum...

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  This is one of the things I love about TG. Can't overutilize good comms. In fact, as a group we probably need a lot more work on them.

Is there a comms protocol sticky anywhere? Might be nice to highlight it in the general forum...
                  http://kezei.net/arma2/

from Zedic/TFP radio procedure course, ref: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...-attended.html

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                  Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X