Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeamSpeak Plug In - A call to action

Hey all,

As someone who CO's often, I'm running into a lot of frustration on any sizable mission with the new TS plug-in. I love the plug-in, but it continues breaking during the middle of high intensity battles, leaving the command elements with no form of communication, the team disorganized, and myself extremely frustrated.

Is there any system we can adopt as a stopgap measure until this is fixed, or are we stuck with it until they fix it?

I'm getting to the point where I dread commanding potentially epic missions, simply because I know the plug-in is going to fail, and ruin it. :/

-ratty

Re: TeamSpeak Plug In - A call to action

YES! YEEESS!! I am GeneralCarver and I approve this statement! The TS plugin seems to have problems which affect good team play nearly 100% of the time.. WHEN WE HAVE MORE THAN ABOUT 20 people, in my experience. The Radio simulation is cool, but lets face it, its way to buggy for large player count missions. We need something that works far more reliably

I am for just using TS3 and in game comms. By using both we should be able to do fine. Also, we can encourage mission designers to use the in game Commander Module which can help structure team communications.

I want to really stress this.. the commander module has great potential for helping us filter comms with the in game comm system. Its a stock Arma 2 feature, and as of v1.05, as far as I know, it works good. As part of the mission team, I could help educate our community of editors on its use and suggested method of deployment if the admins would adopt this policy.
    Last edited by GeneralCarver; 04-11-2010, 02:08 AM. Reason: more to say!
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

I agree - I really LOVE the idea of the plugin, I really do, do not get me wrong. Considering that... I really think it needs to be either removed or circumventable. My quality of ARMA play has greatly gone down since we introduced the plugin. I constantly have to repeat myself, minimize my game (during combat usually) to restart the crashed TS, it slows down the game by consuming ungodly resources (50% CPU use for TS is unacceptable). Sometimes it will break and restarting TS will not even fix it. The frustration level is unbearable. Accordingly, I don't play as much as I used to, and commanding is now an extremely depressing experience, functionally impossible with groups larger than 35.

I think a simple solution is just to make squad channels again, and the players decide if we want to use the plugin or not. Its a lot easier to setup whisper lists than originally thought, at least for me.

Please do not get me wrong.. I really like the idea of the plugin, but it's just not usable as it is. I will be the first one to publically support its re-implementation or standardization once it works properly.

Comment

*bump*

sigpic

Comment

*Takes Admin Hat off*

I personally never liked the plug in as it takes so much wind out of the gaming sails and should force the player to take time out of their gaming experience at any point in the game. It's been causing way too many problems and I know TS seems to be cluncky sometimes but it more times then none is best for comms and helps the player keep playing and not have to get frustrated.

Teamspeak has always been a reliable friend to us in ArmA in the past and I think we should treat it better and learn how to really use it. If your VON just isn't working like you want and your cutting out, you can quickly switch to TS, setup a whisper list and your back in action to talk to command and other team leaders. My current system is that I have dedicated the numpad numbers to talk to those on my whisper list which really makes it quick and painless.

*Admin Hat goes back on*

I don't know why comms have been such an issue since TS3 and it's sad that it appears more often in our general discussion forums and creates anarchy more then any other topic. If i could request from all community members one thing, could we please stop posting more of these topics in the general discussion forum and more in the CAA. Let us know the problem you are having with our system, we will talk and then let US post these kind's of issues. This both helps prevent any attacks against you as the player and puts the weight on our shoulders. It is our duty to produce a usable product for you the player that meets your needs so that you can just jump in and play the game. What's even better is talking to us in person on TS. Don't shy from looking for us in the TS window and just sitting and talking. Talking is FAR more productive then constant forum posts. This also lets us know the player's who have come here for their one stop gaming needs because what good is a community that doesn't get to know each other.
          FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
            *Takes Admin Hat off*

I personally never liked the plug in as it takes so much wind out of the gaming sails and should force the player to take time out of their gaming experience at any point in the game. It's been causing way too many problems and I know TS seems to be cluncky sometimes but it more times then none is best for comms and helps the player keep playing and not have to get frustrated.

Teamspeak has always been a reliable friend to us in ArmA in the past and I think we should treat it better and learn how to really use it. If your VON just isn't working like you want and your cutting out, you can quickly switch to TS, setup a whisper list and your back in action to talk to command and other team leaders. My current system is that I have dedicated the numpad numbers to talk to those on my whisper list which really makes it quick and painless.

*Admin Hat goes back on*

I don't know why comms have been such an issue since TS3 and it's sad that it appears more often in our general discussion forums and creates anarchy more then any other topic. If i could request from all community members one thing, could we please stop posting more of these topics in the general discussion forum and more in the CAA. Let us know the problem you are having with our system, we will talk and then let US post these kind's of issues. This both helps prevent any attacks against you as the player and puts the weight on our shoulders. It is our duty to produce a usable product for you the player that meets your needs so that you can just jump in and play the game. What's even better is talking to us in person on TS. Don't shy from looking for us in the TS window and just sitting and talking. Talking is FAR more productive then constant forum posts. This also lets us know the player's who have come here for their one stop gaming needs because what good is a community that doesn't get to know each other.
            To address the fist part of your post, we simply need an admin to make squad channels to make that a reality.

Comment

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
              To address the fist part of your post, we simply need an admin to make squad channels to make that a reality.
              At this time we are still talking about all the possible solutions. We will keep you updated. All we ask is that you please stop crusading in the General Forums about this plugin. We know, we see, we hear, WE GOT IT. We dont need daily reminders.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Pile me in with the people who don't like it; I haven't even wanted to play as a result. I miss TG ARMAII.

I've been watching the plugin, and A2TS3: Create two-way clipboard IO that is not greedy was updated yesterday as 'completed' -- considering they are near three weeks overdue for their last update, I'm not all that hopeful as its a solid fix, or even will make it into said release. However one of the devs said he was back working on it after RL issues recently, so thats something.

I will continue hopefully watching the forums for a resolution :)

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,

First of all, I speak for other admins when I say that myself and other admins are always on the lookout to find the optimal solutions to any and all problems. Having said that, we will always encounter some forms of issues in the process of doing so. If such issues arise, we always try to address the problem/s head on and find the solution that is best for the game & TG. So please keep the constructive criticisms coming that will assist us in tackling the problems with your positive inputs towards a resolution.

Secondly, one should not have to rely on the arma2ts plug-in & addon solely. If the arma2ts fails, you always have other methods of communication. Communication method such as; VON/VOIP, TS3, In-game Text for example. I believe that the ArmAII VON/VOIP was left on for a reason within the server settings.

If a CO of a mission fails due to his/her lack of leadership then that's their own issue they need to resolve and improve. There are TGU classes available to those that seek it and those that enjoy teaching them. Utilize it to your best advantage.

Now, during the game. Whether that person wishes to address the comms issue on-the-fly during the game is one and placing a secondary solution during mission brief is another. It is all up to the CO to decide when he/she steps up.
                  The ability to problem solve should be second nature for a leader, or for any soldier/player for that matter.

I suggest that the leader decides on which form of comms is going to be used and suggest a back up plan if the primary method of comms fails. (i.e. arma2ts)
                  Just an example;
                  CO : "As for comms. We will use arma2ts as our primary method of communication, we will use aforemented frequencies. However, should the comms fail. We will use the in-game VON/VOIP as a back up. Blue channel/Side Channel for leaders and please use the green channel/Group channel within your squads/fireteams. Stay off the white channel/Global channel as per the TG SOP...
                  Should your TS3 plug-in fails, type in text in Blue Channel/Side Channel informing me that your arma2ts is a no-go and we will go from there. Questions?"

In closing, I thank you all for posting constructive criticisms for us and keep suggesting positive ideas so that we may improve the ArmAII experience for all here in TacticalGamer.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X